Lines or passages in the novels that always get to you

forod

• 3 weeks later...

From the hedge knight.. spoilers

This passage always makes me cringe so hard.

A tall knight stood above him, in black armor dinted and scarred by many blows. Prince Baelor. The scarlet dragon on his helm had lost a head, both wings, and most of its tail. "Your Grace," Dunk said, "I am your man. Please. Your man." 

"My man." The black knight put a hand on Raymun's shoulder to steady himself. "I need good men, Ser Duncan. The realm..." His voice sounded oddly slurred. Perhaps he'd bit his tongue. 

The prince moved his head slowly from side to side. "Ser Raymun...my helm, if you'd be so kind. Visor...visor's cracked, and my fingers...fingers feel like wood..."

"At once, Your Grace." Raymun took the prince's helm in both hands and grunted. "Goodman Pate, a hand."

Steely Pate dragged over a mounting stool. "It's crushed down at the back, Your Grace, toward the left side. Smashed into the gorget. Good steel, this, to stop such a blow."

"Brother's mace, most like," Baelor said thickly. "He's strong." He winced. "That...feels queer, I..."

"Here it comes." Pate lifted the battered helm away. "Gods be good. Oh gods oh gods oh gods preserve..."

Dunk saw something red and wet fall out of the helm. Someone was screaming, high and terrible. Against the bleak grey sky swayed a tall tall prince in black armor with only half a skull. He could see red blood and pale bone beneath, and something else, something blue-grey and pulpy. A queer troubled look passed across Baelor Breakspear's face, like a cloud passing before a sun. He raised his hand and touched the back of his head with two fingers, oh so lightly. And then he fell.

A lot of mine have already been mentioned the only one I can think of that hasn't was in GoT when old Nan is telling Bran about the long night. I'd quote it by I loaned someone my copy. Gets me every time. 

“We all know what my brother would do. Robert would gallop up to the gates of Winterfell alone, break them with his warhammer, and ride through the rubble to slay Roose Bolton with his left hand and the Bastard with his right. I am not Robert. But we will march, and we will free Winterfell … or die in the attempt.

I get the chills when i read it.

On 17/05/2016 at 11:19 PM, The Bold Wolf said:

When Wyman Manderly speaks to Davos.

On 18/05/2016 at 1:20 AM, Gaius Gracchus said:

I agree that always gets me, but even more so is earlier when Wylla is talking about Robb in front of Davos:

Yeah, these two for me also.

More, when the children find the wolves:

Bran saw his father’s face change, saw the other men exchange glances. He loved Jon with all his heart at that moment. Even at seven, Bran understood what his brother had done. The count had come right only because Jon had omitted himself. He had included the girls, included even Rickon, the baby, but not the bastard who bore the surname Snow, the name that custom decreed be given to all those in the north unlucky enough to be born with no name of their own.

And the Tower of Joy:

"I looked for you on the Trident," Ned said to them.
"We were not there," Ser Gerold answered.
"Woe to the Usurper if we had been," said Ser Oswell.
"When King’s Landing fell, Ser Jaime slew your king with a golden sword, and I wondered where you were."
"Far away," Ser Gerold said, "or Aerys would yet sit the Iron Throne, and our false brother would burn in seven hells."
"I came down on Storm’s End to lift the siege," Ned told them, "and the Lords Tyrell and Redwyne dipped their banners, and all their knights bent the knee to pledge us fealty. I was certain you would be among them."
"Our knees do not bend easily," said Ser Arthur Dayne.
"Ser Willem Darry is fled to Dragonstone, with your queen and Prince Viserys. I thought you might have sailed with him."
"Ser Willem is a good man and true," said Ser Oswell.
"But not of the Kingsguard," Ser Gerold pointed out. "The Kingsguard does not flee."
"Then or now," said Ser Arthur. He donned his helm.
"We swore a vow," explained old Ser Gerold.
Ned’s wraiths moved up beside him, with shadow swords in hand. They were seven against three.
And now it begins," said Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. He unsheathed Dawn and held it with both hands. The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light.

• 2 weeks later...

Bran (in the same chapter he mentions his dream of the RW):

Please, you old gods, he prayed, you took Winterfell, and my father, and my legs, please don't take Summer too. And watch over Jon Snow too, and make the wildlings go away.

Jaime and Tywin.

"She can die a maiden as far as I'm concerned. I don't want her, and I don't want your Rock!"

"You are my son—"

"I am a knight of the Kingsguard. The Lord Commander of the Kingsguard! And that's all I mean to be!"

Firelight gleamed golden in the stiff whiskers that framed Lord Tywin's face. A vein pulsed in his neck, but he did not speak. And did not speak. And did not speak.

The strained silence went on until it was more than Jaime could endure. "Father . . ." he began.

"You are not my son." Lord Tywin turned his face away. "You say you are the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, and only that. Very well, ser. Go do your duty."

The stone is strong, Bran told himself, the roots of the trees go deep, and under the ground the Kings of Winter sit their thrones.  So long as those remained, Winterfell remained.  It was not dead, just broken.  Like me, he thought.  I'm not dead either.

Such a great way to end the book.

One of the best scenes was in the 2nd book when Tyrion is interrogating Janos Slynt over dinner, & in the conversation asks him about who should replace him as City Watch Commander. Tyrion mentions Ser Jacelyn Bywater (Bronn in the show) which Slynt disagrees with. When he gets up to go in a rage opens the door & Bywater is grinning at him saying 'Jonas'. Hilarious. As well as Slynt,  Tyrion tells Bywater his murderous 2nd in command is going to but that he might accidently fall overboard as the crossing is dangerous, & Bywater grins at him. Great stuff.

Cat's exchange with Jon before he leaves for the Night's Watch sealed my feelings for her character as it's hard for me to forgive someone for emotionally abusing a kid. I hated her. That was until she said "I have no sons but Robb." It still rips my heart. She suffered. I'm kind of glad she came back as SH...

“She was Daenerys Stormborn, the Unburnt, Khaleesi and queen, Mother of Dragons, slayer of warlocks, breaker of chains, and there was no one in the world that she could trust.”

“Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died.”

"Egg, I dreamed I was old."

The scene where Maester Aemon reveals to Jon that he is Aemon Targaryen when Jon is preparing to desert the NW in AGOT . . .

There are many more, but these are the ones that spring into my mind right away . . .

"When I was a lad I found an injured goshawk and nursed her back to health. Proudwing, I named her. She would perch on my shoulder and flutter from room to room after me and take food from my hand, but she would not soar. Time and again I would take her hawking, but she never flew higher than the treetops. Robert called her Weakwing. He owned a gyrfalcon named Thunderclap who never missed her strike. One day our great-uncle Ser Harbert told me to try a different bird. I was making a fool of myself with Proudwing, he said, and he was right."

Stannis Baratheon turned away from the window, and the ghosts who moved upon the southern sea. "The Seven have never brought me so much as a sparrow. It is time I tried another hawk, Davos. A red hawk."

This story from Stannis' childhood always makes me stop and ponder for a while.

I admire him for being such a weirdo and sticking with loyal Proudwing, I don't approve him becoming a high-r'holler, yet I still want him to show them all. It might not be the most eloquent passage in the books, but mayhaps a relatable story for all those who've been bullied for some perceived oddity.

The Fiddler gave Dunk an apologetic smile.

"Perchance we'll meet again someday. I hope so. I should love to try my lance on you."

Dunk did not know what to say to that.

--

The obvious (and awkward) hit lines from Daemon II to Dunk always cracks me up.

2 hours ago, Pr1ncessAw3some said:

"Egg, I dreamed I was old."

This :crying:

I know that many other passages that are more, shocking, more meaningful, more telling, ... but still, most of them lost their sharpness (but they are still good, just they don't hit me so fiercely anymore). This one thought, huh, this one gets me every time.

“Harwin!” Squirming, she threw herself forward, trying to wrench free of Lem’s iron grip. “It’s me,” she shouted, “Harwin, it’s me, don’t you know me, don’t you?” The tears came, and she found herself weeping like a baby, just like some stupid little girl. “Harwin, it’s me!” Harwin’s eyes went from her face to the flayed man on her doublet. “How do you know me?” he said, frowning suspiciously. “The flayed man . . . who are you, some serving boy to Lord Leech?” For a moment she did not know how to answer. She’d had so many names. Had she only dreamed Arya Stark? “I’m a girl,” she sniffed. “I was Lord Bolton’s cupbearer but he was going to leave me for the goat, so I ran off with Gendry and Hot Pie. You have to know me! You used to lead my pony, when I was little.” His eyes went wide, “Gods be good,” he said in a choked voice. “Arya Underfoot? Lem, let go of her.” “She broke my nose.” Lem dumped her unceremoniously to the floor. “Who in seven hells is she supposed to be?” “The Hand’s daughter.” Harwin went to one knee before her. “Arya Stark, of Winterfell.”

Gets me every single time.

Archived