Magic gone bad

Winter Blues

A friend and I were just discussing ways in which magic is used in this series and other fantasy book series (I have a degree in literature, so fantasy is not a genre I ever read much). My biggest question to him was how often do we see magic intended for good go bad in such a way that it alters the entire plot of a story and inadvertently becomes the story's main conflict? 

In the case of our story, we have an impending main conflict that's held at bay by a Wall and with no clear way for the threat to enter the story save by magic...Perhaps magic gone wrong. 

We have Bryden Rivers and Melisandre--two of the story's chief sorcerers at the Wall, both seemingly, with plans of saving humanity using their various forms of magic. What are the chances, or could there be a chance that their magic unintentionally releases the WW onto the realm? 

2 minutes ago, Falcon2908 said:

I think Bloodraven is working with the Others and will intentionally release the WW onto the realm.

I was always intrigued by this idea, but after reading the novellas and learning more about him and his loyalty to his family and their Kingdom, I wonder what could drive him to want this? 

4 hours ago, Winter Blues said:

I was always intrigued by this idea, but after reading the novellas and learning more about him and his loyalty to his family and their Kingdom, I wonder what could drive him to want this?

I think it's possible that he had good intentions, but is now a puppet, controlled by the Weir. the trees that never die being a single organism. Everything is cyclical. There is a natural cycle of birth, growth, and death in everything we know of, plants, people, planets, solar systems, even galaxies.  Weir being an alien species, something like the single minded mold, byrum from Stephen Kings "Dreamcatcher"

5 hours ago, Falcon2908 said:

I think Bloodraven is working with the Others and will intentionally release the WW onto the realm.

When I think of this, I always go back to the scene where Sam and Gily are being attacked by Wights and Bloodraven and the CoTF intervene and control the Ravens to attack the Wights and help them. Even talking to Sam through the Raven and yelling at him to 'go'!.

If Bloodraven is evil in his intentions I don't get why he would do this, any ideas?.

Archived