Watch, Watched, Watching: The Final Cut

RedEyedGhost

On 20/05/2016 at 11:08 AM, Maia said:

I have watched it for the first time a couple of months ago and loved it. Relationship between sisters is so rarely a focus point of  an adventure, fairy-tale. A positive one in particular. And I really liked how the fantasy/heroic aspects  were handled, the music,etc.

Oh, yes, I definitely thought the relationship between the two sisters being the focus instead of having a man rescue one or both of the ladies. That was great. I'm just a bit emotionally deadened at the moment, sorry. :)

On 20/05/2016 at 11:37 AM, House Cambodia said:

However, my hot recommendation for any ASOIAF aficionado is the current short series The Hollow Crown. Stunning productions of Shakespeare's history plays with the final part being Richard III this weekend. R3 is played by Benedict Cumberpatch and the cast is a role call of the greatest British actors. We all know that GRRM was influenced by them and the Wars of the Roses, but seeing these BBC productions really brings it home just how much he took from them.

We are recording this. Pretty excited for it.

6 hours ago, Isis said:

Oh, yes, I definitely thought the relationship between the two sisters being the focus instead of having a man rescue one or both of the ladies. That was great. I'm just a bit emotionally deadened at the moment, sorry. :)

We are recording this. Pretty excited for it.

I watched Henry VI Part I which I thought was very good so I hope you enjoy when you watch too! The BBC really got some great and talented actors on board for this

As I am paying for HBO NOW for the Game of Thrones season, I decided to look around the site to see if there was anything else to watch. All The Way was up on it. It is the story of LBJ and his first year in office. All I have to say is that Brian Cranston is a national treasure and there is not enough awards to give this man. The movie is amazing, and surprisingly topical today.

1 hour ago, Howdyphillip said:

As I am paying for HBO NOW for the Game of Thrones season, I decided to look around the site to see if there was anything else to watch. All The Way was up on it. It is the story of LBJ and his first year in office. All I have to say is that Brian Cranston is a national treasure and there is not enough awards to give this man. The movie is amazing, and surprisingly topical today.

Because I'm paying for HBO, I watched Wagons East on-demand yesterday.  Always thought it was supposed to be terrible because of John Candy's sudden death while filming, and unfortunately it was just as bad as I thought it would be.  He did look terribly unhealthy in his very first scene in the movie; he'd never been a small man, but I think that was the largest I ever saw him.  Makes me wonder if his health would have turned around if the studio hadn't forced him to do the movie.  I feel like I need to cleanse my palate and watch Uncle Buck.

Making my way through the first season of Better Call Saul. Pretty good show. I'm surprised how well it's holding up as I don't have a high opinion of spin-offs. Shame on me for doubting Odenkirk.

Aside from the wit and scams, I really like the way the show returns the viewer to Albuquerque. 

On May 21, 2016 at 6:08 PM, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I watched Green Room, by the guy who made the rather good Blue Ruin. It was a thrilling little movie actually, pretty tightly put together, kind of gripping and features Patrick Stuart as a middle aged Nazi. Gotta love that.

Yeah, I really enjoyed it too. I'm glad it didn't disappoint as I was pretty excited for it.

17 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Watching All the Way. Pretty fucking great.

I missed like the first half hour but it is pretty great. Cranston is superb.

Finished The Night Manager. It was decent, but you had to suspend disbelief to believe some things which occurred. Richard Roper may be one of the most naïve arms-dealers I've seen portrayed. However, I loved Hiddleston ordering a vodka martini in the last episode. He'll make a great Bond.

I watched John Carpenter's The Fog. It was great and qualifies for a solid fifth place on my top5-John-Carpenter-movies-list. It wasn't really scary but it had a great atmosphere, a good story, and some neat special effects and creature design. Although the characters was kinda forgettable and the movie could have used a bit more mayhem.

We finished Les Revenants. It really did tail off at the end, just like my friends said it did. I mean, it tied up some of the loose ends. But it still left some questions unanswered for me. Usually I don't mind ambiguity and not knowing everything but in this case I am a little unsatisfied. Mostly because the second season was just slower and more muddled than the first one.

The soundtrack is still bloody brilliant though.

Watched the first two episodes of Maria Bamford's show Lady Dynamite on Netflix. Awesome and absurd and delightfully meta in just the right places. I have a feeling I'm going to really love this one.

On the last episode of S1 Better Call Saul. I'm loving the show. "One little Chicago sunroof and all of a sudden I'm Charles Manson!?" It's got the perfect mix of drama and humor and the characters are all great. The scene between Jimmy and Chuck in the penultimate episode was also very heartfelt.  It feels so much like Breaking Bad.. almost like that show didn't end and it really did just change POVs.

Archived