Watch, Watched, Watching: The Final Cut

RedEyedGhost

11 hours ago, Leap said:

Started watching 30 Rock, which is pretty decent already. Don't know if I'll enjoy it as much as Parks and Recreation, but at least I think I'll enjoy it.

I loved the first 3 seasons of 30 Rock.  Hilarious stuff.  After that it was very repetitive and I grew quite bored with the characters.  I still stuck it out until the end though.

I just watched Frozen for the first time. It was ok. Not so much different to/better than Tangled. I have no clue why people go so nuts for it. It's nice but it's no Beauty and the Beast, is it?

Before that I watched Red Riding Hood (the Gary Oldman one). The only reason I can possibly think of for doing this is that I finished watching Hemlock Grove yesterday and was thinking about wolves. Actually I was going to watch The Company of Wolves but I just happened across Red Riding Hood on Amazon Prime and thought, why not? The obvious answer is because it's a really tired B movie and it just does nothing new whatsoever with the story or the mythology. Wolves are cool and all, but there's really not a lot of wolfy screen time.

I'm watching The Night Manager, just finished ep 4 of 6.  It didn't look great in trailers but I read a good review and tried it.  It's really very good.  They can do more in 6 hours than a typical movie, but not drag it out for dozens of episodes.  Tom Hiddleston carries it really well. 

Really? I thought it's last 2-3 episodes were especially weak. It's an OK show, but I don't think it's anything more. I just don't think it adds anything new to that genre of TV shows. We've seen that sort of story on countless occasions.  Something like The Honourable Women was far better, in my opinion.

3 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I'm watching The Night Watchman, just finished ep 4 of 6.  It didn't look great in trailers but I read a good review and tried it.  It's really very good.  They can do more in 6 hours than a typical movie, but not drag it out for dozens of episodes.  Tom Hiddleston carries it really well. 

n. 

18 hours ago, Isis said:

I just watched Frozen for the first time. It was ok. Not so much different to/better than Tangled. I have no clue why people go so nuts for it. It's nice but it's no Beauty and the Beast, is it?

I have watched it for the first time a couple of months ago and loved it. Relationship between sisters is so rarely a focus point of  an adventure, fairy-tale. A positive one in particular. And I really liked how the fantasy/heroic aspects  were handled, the music,etc.

Loved "Zootopia" too. I haven't seen "Tangled" yet, though.

I have also watched Scorcese's "Hugo" and liked it a lot, on the whole. Such a pretty movie, and, of course, such a glowing love-letter to the pioneers of film industry, no wonder it got all the Oscars. It could have been slightly shorter, mind.

I have  finally seen "Mad Max: FuryRoad" and holy shit! It is, indeed, brilliant and I feel a fool for not believing the hype and not watching it on the big screen. That's a film that completely fills it's length without an ounce of fat, and, to employ an overused expression, "grips you and doesn't let go", without making one tired of  and numb to all the action.

And believe me - a lot of recent action blockbusters did make me tired of/bored with the over-the-top action. Even those  that received critical plaudits, such as "Avengers" or "Guardians of the Galaxy", etc. By contrast, I enjoyed action in Marvel's "Civil War", but found quiet moments  and reason for the conflict contrived and boring. Well, "Fury Road" plays on a whole different level - there were no weak segments, IMHO. 

Much as liked "The Martian" movie, I am now enthusiastically behind the Nebulas decision to pick "Fury Road" as the winner in dramatic presentation category.      

Currently keeping in with Orphan Black and Penny Dreadful.

However, my hot recommendation for any ASOIAF aficionado is the current short series The Hollow Crown. Stunning productions of Shakespeare's history plays with the final part being Richard III this weekend. R3 is played by Benedict Cumberpatch and the cast is a role call of the greatest British actors. We all know that GRRM was influenced by them and the Wars of the Roses, but seeing these BBC productions really brings it home just how much he took from them.

I watched that Will Smith/Margot Robbie thing last night. 'Focus'. 

Holy fuck that is one of the worst movies I have seen in a long time. Absolute trash start to finish. The only redeeming quality I can even think of is that Smith & Robbie were pretty good on screen together so I look forward to seeing them again in Suicide Squad. 

8 hours ago, Raja said:

Really? I thought it's last 2-3 episodes were especially weak. It's an OK show, but I don't think it's anything more. I just don't think it adds anything new to that genre of TV shows. We've seen that sort of story on countless occasions.  Something like The Honourable Women was far better, in my opinion.

n. 

Now you have me worried because I have not seen the last two episodes yet. 

I haven't seen much else like this.  I'll look for The Honorable Women.  Is this a case of the US only lately importing UK dramas of this caliber?  Most US options have been horribly protracted series with dozens of episodes, and generally more like a Mission Impossible popcorn flick serialized (think of 24, Alias, etc)

I really need to find The Honourable Woman. It's by the same showrunner as The Shadow Line, and while that faded at the end, it contained some amazing work beforehand. And THW shouldn't have the same issues at the end, which were very particular to the tale being told.

10 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I haven't seen much else like this.  I'll look for The Honorable Women.  Is this a case of the US only lately importing UK dramas of this caliber?  Most US options have been horribly protracted series with dozens of episodes, and generally more like a Mission Impossible popcorn flick serialized (think of 24, Alias, etc)

I was not disappointed with the last two episodes.

The Honorable Woman is solid. Really enjoyed that series as well. 

6 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Ah - I shouldn't have said anything! Apologies! Post when you're done with the series. 

Re: The Honourable Women - Maggie Gyllenhaal steals that show with a really good performance. I haven't seen The Shadow Line - I'll have a look. 

Archived