Watch, Watched, Watching: The Final Cut

RedEyedGhost

Started watching Banshee.  Well, technically I started watching it when it first aired, but I either lost interest or got involved with other shows.  I honestly can't remember.  I do remember seeing Pennsylvania sheriff cars parked around downtown Charlotte (they filmed at least part of it here), which was fun.  Anyway, is it a good show?  Not really.  It's dumb as hell and wildly unrealistic.  Is it entertaining?  Definitely.  Sometimes that's enough.  This show seems much better suited for binge watching than week to week watching.  That might be why I didn't stick with it the first time.

12 hours ago, Isis said:

Finished Stranger Things last night. Cannot help thinking that the opening credits are reminiscent of Neon Demon, certainly the music is Cliff Martinez-esque. 

Initially I wasn't sure about Winona Ryder's performance. It seemed a bit textbook out there hysterical mother. But in the last couple of eps it gained a bit more depth I thought. 

Overall I really enjoyed it. Will take more specific thoughts to the thread.

If you enjoyed the music from Stranger Things this article might interest you: http://bloody-disgusting.com/music/3399276/digging-music-stranger-things-meet-survive/

10 hours ago, briantw said:

Started watching Banshee.  Well, technically I started watching it when it first aired, but I either lost interest or got involved with other shows.  I honestly can't remember.  I do remember seeing Pennsylvania sheriff cars parked around downtown Charlotte (they filmed at least part of it here), which was fun.  Anyway, is it a good show?  Not really.  It's dumb as hell and wildly unrealistic.  Is it entertaining?  Definitely.  Sometimes that's enough.  This show seems much better suited for binge watching than week to week watching.  That might be why I didn't stick with it the first time.

Haha, I loved Banshee. Of course you have to suspend all disbelief and not question anything. But it takes the viewer for one hell of a ride. Shame it's finished. That said, season 4 was the weakest one.

16 minutes ago, Astromech said:

Haha, I loved Banshee. Of course you have to suspend all disbelief and not question anything. But it takes the viewer for one hell of a ride. Shame it's finished. That said, season 4 was the weakest one.

Yeah, it really seems like a show that's made to be binge-watched.  I started two days ago and am almost done with the first season.

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 3:12 PM, Tywin et al. said:

Had to babysit my nine year old nephew this weekend. I took him up north to go fishing, but before we left on Friday he asked me to bring some scary movies, because his mom generally doesn't allow him to watch them. So Friday night we watched Jaws, which doubly scared him because the lake we went fishing on the next day is gigantic. . 

Yeah, there is something about watching a movie like Jaws and then being on a lake where you can't see land in any direction. Or pulling in a big fish and realizing that the water you were just swimming in (peeing out the beer or other drinks) holds fish that big! We go on Lake Erie and had a nephews friend freak out a little.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

Yeah, it really seems like a show that's made to be binge-watched.  I started two days ago and am almost done with the first season.

Yeah, I found it better to binge watch.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Yeah, there is something about watching a movie like Jaws and then being on a lake where you can't see land in any direction. Or pulling in a big fish and realizing that the water you were just swimming in (peeing out the beer or other drinks) holds fish that big! We go on Lake Erie and had a nephews friend freak out a little.

Yup. We were on Superior and he was definitely freaked out at first. But to his credit, by the end he was upset that he didn't get to "hunt the shark." I wonder if he would have felt the same way if we were on a small boat and not a big fishing cruiser. 

13 hours ago, briantw said:

It's pulp fiction at it's best. One of the most entertaining shows I've watched.

45 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

i still havent finished banshee season 4 yet im so ashamed of myself its basically one of my favorite shows 

It's meh, but the finale is worth it.

14 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yup. We were on Superior and he was definitely freaked out at first. But to his credit, by the end he was upset that he didn't get to "hunt the shark." I wonder if he would have felt the same way if we were on a small boat and not a big fishing cruiser. 

Yeah, makes a difference when a wave actually comes over the bow into the boat, adds a little drama to it. Good luck next time you are out! We got a mess of perch last weekend.

Watched 2 hours of bat v man. Good God, this movie is like watching a fucking root canal but the only thing you see is the patient's feet kicking in agony because the doctor is working without anesthetic.

On 7/21/2016 at 2:15 AM, briantw said:

That show was a guilty pleasure for me. I had the same experience as you, I binged S1 a while back then went away from it. When I heard S4 was the finale for the series, I jumped back and finished out the story. It was uneven as a whole, but I loved how they kept to the same exact formula for every episode: gun fight, fist fight, & sex/nudity. Sometimes the same character did all three, other times they switched it up,but it worked for nearly 40 episodes.

Just finished S1 of Mr. Robot. Saw the "twist" coming from a mile away because

I've seen Fight Club

but it was still an enjoyable reveal. I thought the front part of the season was stronger when Elliot was doing his vigilante hacking on a more personal, one-to-one level though.

I just finished watching The Iceman with Michael Shannon. As a film, I liked it. Shannon is very chilling as this psychopathic murderer. He suffers from typecasting a lot, but when he happens to be typecast in a good film that's not so bad. Winona Ryder was good as the wife, although it took me a while to recognize her. The whole cast was good actually, but apart from usual suspects like Ray Liotta and Michael Shannon it was a pretty weird bunch all things considered. Chris Evans as a merciless contract killer or David Schwimmer as a mobster are strange choices. I also don't think the film itself was a good representation of this killer's brutality. I looked him up on Wikipedia and boy, there is some chilling stuff about him on there. So, as a representation of the life and crimes of this particular despicable individual, it wasn't very good. I think I would have given it a higher score if it was completely fictional. 

16 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

I just finished watching The Iceman with Michael Shannon. As a film, I liked it. Shannon is very chilling as this psychopathic murderer. He suffers from typecasting a lot, but when he happens to be typecast in a good film that's not so bad. Winona Ryder was good as the wife, although it took me a while to recognize her. The whole cast was good actually, but apart from usual suspects like Ray Liotta and Michael Shannon it was a pretty weird bunch all things considered. Chris Evans as a merciless contract killer or David Schwimmer as a mobster are strange choices. I also don't think the film itself was a good representation of this killer's brutality. I looked him up on Wikipedia and boy, there is some chilling stuff about him on there. So, as a representation of the life and crimes of this particular despicable individual, it wasn't very good. I think I would have given it a higher score if it was completely fictional. 

I would recommend The Iceman Confesses: Secrets of a Mafia Hitman. He was one terrifying man.

1 hour ago, Astromech said:

I would recommend The Iceman Confesses: Secrets of a Mafia Hitman. He was one terrifying man.

I second that. I was excited for the movie because of Shannon and the fact that I read a lot about this guy and watched some documentaries about him, but the movie fell flat in just about every way.

Watched Triple 9 last night. It's no Heat, even though it really wants to be. But it was a decent film in terms of plot and characters. I can't point to any amazing acting performances, but Kate Winslet stands out for her quite striking stylised mob wife role. Woody Harrelson plays a role which seems like a mosaic of many similar roles he's played before, I saw nothing different from him. 

One mark against it is the sound quality/production choices - there are a few scenes with hushed dialogue with a bassy piano track laid over it. Who on earth thinks this stuff is a good idea? 

But it's not a bad action film if you're in the mood for one.

11 hours ago, Ramsay Blow said:

I second that. I was excited for the movie because of Shannon and the fact that I read a lot about this guy and watched some documentaries about him, but the movie fell flat in just about every way.

I also highly recommend that doc. Crazy stuff. I was dissapointed with the feature film as well. It had plenty of other problems, but the biggest was I didn't particularly like Michael Shannon in that role (and I'm a big fan of his from Boardwalk Empire). James Gandolfini would have been absolutely perfect. Not only did he look like Kuklinski, but anyone who's ever seen the hotel room scene in True Romance knows just how perfect he would have been. The Sopranos too for that matter, with the whole two lives thing and all.

17 hours ago, Astromech said:

It seems that the Iceman doc has a lot of admirers. I'll watch it. I have found several uploads on youtube. I think the doc is like 45 minutes in total but I have also seen some docs about him on youtube that are 01.45 hrs, is that a different one?

Archived