Watch, Watched, Watching: The Final Cut

RedEyedGhost

I'm really not one for family dramas, but like, The Americans. Family drama cut up by spy stuffs. Very good show.

Also, season two of Bloodline dropped on Netflix, so I'll be getting into that for sure. The first season was fantastic, and I'm quite pleased to see Ben Mendelsohn reprising his role in S2, even if it's only for flashbacks and whatnot. Phenomenal actor.

Latest Veep episode was the best thing ever.

"From now on Jonah you will shut the fuck up and do as I say, and if you listen to me instead of your only two brain cells that are busy butt-fucking each other somewhere in the vast expanses of your misshapen skull, maybe, Jonah, you might have a chance to become the first mentally impaired Frankenstein's monster to ever win an American election."
- Dan Fucking Egan

I had to rewind the episode a few times when Jonah completely botched chopping the log and swore in the campaign ad. That edit was hilarious. And his rival candidate being his second grad teacher :).

I started the second season of Bloodline. The first season was one of my favorite shows of the year and I thought it might have best ended as a standalone series instead of continuing along due to it's premise (which I can't say without revealing major spoilers). 

And wow. I'm only on the first 2 episodes but they didn't hold back on the throttle and have kept the drama and tension going full steam right where it left off. I'm a bit surprised how well they've maintained that level of anxiety and stress for the characters but we'll see how the rest of the season holds up.

My only real complaint with the show is that it might be too heavy. The show is pure drama and has almost no humour or sense of relief such that you feel like you're holding your breath all of the time. Definitely not a show you want to watch when you want to relax or if you're looking for some entertaining fun.

I watched Animal Kingdom, man, Ben Mendelsohn is really a hell of an actor. I liked him a lot Bloodline, and even his small part in Slow West.
In Animal Kingdom the way he can go from caring to creepy to menacing to pathetic to terrifying, is pretty impressive. 

I also felt like watching Heat and Collateral again. No one in Hollywood is able to do shootouts the way Michael Mann does them. From how they look and sound, to how realistic they come across thanks to the look and sound. The Heat heist shootout is still the best one that I have ever seen done in a movie or television. From how realistic it was look wise, to how terrifying the sound was in it (thanks to using the raw production sound instead of dubbing over it). Collateral also had some great action pieces as well. I also think that was Tom Cruises best acting performance he has ever done. Shame he didn't get a nomination for that role. 

Mendelsohn was terrifying in Animal Kingdom. It's a shame he doesn't get better roles. A lot the film's I've seen him in were pretty mediocre. No fault to him though. 

Cruise was great in Collateral, but his best performance is in Magnolia imo. 

Watched The Third Man for the first time this weekend.

It felt very refreshing to see a Noir where the protagonist was a bumbling moron whose every action until the end reads as pathetic instead of the grizzled stoic hypercompetent detective that most of them have.

Also, I've never seen a smile more contagious than Orson Welles's during the reveal scene, it was simply incredible.

Not liking second season Bloodline very much.  All the scenes are lit either with a light glaring right in our viewing eye, washing out everything else, or else are so dark we can't see much then, either.  The characters are all revealed to be just the selfish, self-centered, self-involved ignorant over privileged twits they are. And often, like Kev, really stupid too.  How many times in any scene that's got Kev in it does he whine, "I'm sorry! I'm such an idiot!"  Not to mention that Meg is outrageded that she loses her job because she doesn't return to it when she was supposed to and didn't even bother calling in.  "My family! Emergency!" as if the world of anything, particularly high-powered law firms ever give a damn about anybody's family in the first place.  What world was she living in?  O that of over-indulged daughter of First Family of Key West.

However, I'm also watching the third season of Peaky Blinders and it's as good as ever. Even though I'm not so sure about the plot the characters are all so interesting I tend to overlook the nonsense.

Spoiler

Though it's less possible overlook the killing of Our Protagonist's wife as a motivator . . . .

8 hours ago, Harakiri said:

I watched Animal Kingdom, man, Ben Mendelsohn is really a hell of an actor. I liked him a lot Bloodline, and even his small part in Slow West.
In Animal Kingdom the way he can go from caring to creepy to menacing to pathetic to terrifying, is pretty impressive. 

:cheers: He is great. That fur coat he wore in Slow West was brilliant too.

I'm almost done with season 2 of Daredevil and the Punisher is really bringing it. They really did a good job with him.

I finished the book on Saturday, so I finally got around to watching The Martian tonight.  I thought they did an amazing job adapting it.  And I really like that

we actually got a look into what happened after they made it home.  That and the excessive repetition of known facts in the book were my two complaints about it.

And I've now fired up Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

2 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

The Tunnel: PBS debuts British-French crime series on June 19.Starring Stephen Dillane and Clémence Poésy.

Trailer

Is this only just airing in some places? I'm sure it's well into season 2 here.

or is this just a particular channel acquiring the rights to air it?

33 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Is this only just airing in some places? I'm sure it's well into season 2 here.

or is this just a particular channel acquiring the rights to air it?

Yes,it's the first time US audiences will see it.Season 2 ended in the UK/France on May 31.

I've seen the new Jason Bourne trailer a few times now and am asking myself why would Damon come back and do another one of these when another actor played Bourne in the prior. I swear every time a new Bourne trailer comes out there's always some bewildered CIA agent who says 'Oh my god it's Jason Bourne.' It's like Bourne is some locust that comes out of the ground every 5 years and shows his face. So apparently Bourne has disposed of his reclusive ways and is getting involved in international fight clubs and riding a swat truck down the road like it's a monster truck rally. Should be a compelling watch.

Archived