How do I disable the sound notification for new posts in the threads I've opened in my browser?

David Selig

Is there any way to disable the sound notification which is played when there is a new post in a thread which is opened in my browser? I disabled all browser notifications in the notification settings, but this sound still appears any time a new post in made in any thread opened in my browser and it is quite annoying.

20 hours ago, David Selig said:

Is there any way to disable the sound notification which is played when there is a new post in a thread which is opened in my browser? I disabled all browser notifications in the notification settings, but this sound still appears any time a new post in made in any thread opened in my browser and it is quite annoying.

Click on the notification bell (top right), then notification settings (or something like that), and scroll down to the bottom, one of the options is to disable the notification sound. 

26 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Click on the notification bell (top right), then notification settings (or something like that), and scroll down to the bottom, one of the options is to disable the notification sound. 

I have done that already, but there still a sound every time a new post appears in any thread which is opened in my browser.

8 minutes ago, David Selig said:

I have done that already, but there still a sound every time a new post appears in any thread which is opened in my browser.

Oh... well, then I have no idea other than turning off the computer speakers, sorry. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
4 hours ago, ab aeterno said:

If you're using Chrome you can just mute the tab (as opposed to muting Chrome entirely.)  Same with Firefox.

I think "unusable" might just be a slight exaggeration though :P

How do you do that in Firefox? The sound notifications keep pinging to me as well, although that window is unticked in the settings the whole time. It is really annoying. I keep the speakers turned off now.

10 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

How do you do that in Firefox? The sound notifications keep pinging to me as well, although that window is unticked in the settings the whole time. It is really annoying. I keep the speakers turned off now.

Either right-click the tab and select "mute tab" or click on the speaker icon that appears on the tab when it is generating sound. 

9 hours ago, ab aeterno said:

If you're using Chrome you can just mute the tab (as opposed to muting Chrome entirely.)  Same with Firefox.

I think "unusable" might just be a slight exaggeration though :P

I really want a plugin that remembers what sites you've muted and mutes them when they re-open. Or that basically lets you whitelist sites that can play sound. I looked a while ago and couldn't find one. 

20 hours ago, RumHam said:

I really want a plugin that remembers what sites you've muted and mutes them when they re-open. Or that basically lets you whitelist sites that can play sound. I looked a while ago and couldn't find one. 

Firefox has an add-on called MuteLinks that will mute tabs based on the URL you input into its blacklist.

Archived