Scott Lynch's THORN OF EMBERLAIN

Werthead

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

US Amazon is now showing this book a "currently unavailable" it dropped my pre-order.  What happened?  Anyone know?

It could be publishing house maneuvers, but I haven't read a single thing about Scott Lynch announcing that he is finished with the book yet. I'm not getting my hopes up until I hear from him. I personally hope he takes as long as he feels he needs to. If that is a release in September, then that would be awesome, but if it doesn't come out for a while, that is OK with me as well. I couldn't have more patience or good will towards an author. 

It's probably because Bantam didn't have their edition up, so all the American readers have so far been pre-ordering the UK edition. When that happens sometimes they'll delete the UK edition, put up the US edition and then re-put-up the UK edition. That blanks the pre-orders and allows people to re-order the local American version, which may be cheaper.

And yes, the book is done. Scott's been doing copy-editing before final printing, as I understand it. He wouldn't still be visiting the UK in September if it wasn't.

• 2 weeks later...
On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 7:35 PM, Werthead said:

It's probably because Bantam didn't have their edition up, so all the American readers have so far been pre-ordering the UK edition. When that happens sometimes they'll delete the UK edition, put up the US edition and then re-put-up the UK edition. That blanks the pre-orders and allows people to re-order the local American version, which may be cheaper.

And yes, the book is done. Scott's been doing copy-editing before final printing, as I understand it. He wouldn't still be visiting the UK in September if it wasn't.

If they're releasing in September they are taking their sweet time getting an orderable book onto amazon.  I've been watching for two weeks or more Thorn of Emberlain still shows up as "unavailable".

The US edition still isn't listed on Amazon.com by Del Rey.

If they were really going to release in September, it's been left unusually late.

Still some time. But I'm of course sceptical.

It's possible that Gollancz committed and Bantam's schedule was too packed and they couldn't adjust. The first two books both came out in the UK some way ahead of the US release, so it might be the same story this time around.

I'll have a sniff around and see what info I can find.

7 minutes ago, Werthead said:

It's possible that Gollancz committed and Bantam's schedule was too packed and they couldn't adjust. The first two books both came out in the UK some way ahead of the US release, so it might be the same story this time around.

I'll have a sniff around and see what info I can find.

Wert,

Thank you,

you are a scholar and a gentleman.

Hmm. Apparently Bantam hasn't scheduled the book, and when they do it'll appear online and the dates will be confirmed. No further info. That to me suggests that they weren't able to clear a hole in the schedule at that short a notice (Gollancz only confirmed in May) and the US edition will come out a bit later than the British one. How much later is unknown: the US editions of LoLL and RSURS were about 1-2 months later each, IIRC but they were listed a lot earlier, so this might be a larger gap.

One of the advantages of the UK market being smaller and more adaptable to change, and Gollancz having first call on publishing (Bantam only have the reprint rights, Gollancz are Scott's primary publishers), but not much help to those who wanted the American edition ASAP.

I think there is more bad news yet to come and the UK release also won't be in September.

I just got a notification that the UK hardcover has been de-listed on Amazon UK and is now showing as "unavailable" instead of being released on September 22nd.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0575077050/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1ZPIZL1L5MH4S&coliid=I1JTAQOZUD84DC

Can't frigging wait! Other than Winds of Winter, this is the book I'm most yearning to get ahold of... 

On 6/3/2016 at 0:13 PM, End of Disc One said:

I hope Jean doesn't die just because I think this series needs more protagonist characters, not fewer.  I'd like to see a reformed Gentlemen Bastards with 5 or so people like in the first book.

I desperately hope nothing happens to Jean. Not only do I adore the character, but I honestly don't believe Locke can survive without him. Not only does he protect Locke physically, but Jean may be the one person who understands his spectacularly crooked mind and "gets" him. No one else could put Locke in his place or bring him back from the brink. No, not even Sabetha.

Just to clarify, though, it is called The Gentleman Bastard Sequence - singular. As heartbreaking as the deaths of the other Bastards were...this is Locke's story. 

(and dear lord, weren't they? You spend an entire book falling in love with these adorable idiot-geniuses, and then BAM!)

I doubt Jean and Locke will ever assemble a new group of GB's. 

13 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

I think there is more bad news yet to come and the UK release also won't be in September.

I just got a notification that the UK hardcover has been de-listed on Amazon UK and is now showing as "unavailable" instead of being released on September 22nd.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0575077050/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1ZPIZL1L5MH4S&coliid=I1JTAQOZUD84DC

The kindle edition is still listed as September 22nd.

I'm still reading the series so I'm not reading through the thread properly. Just want to add (following on from the above post) that I found the deaths of the other Gentlemen Bastards in Lies extremely sad, and I was not expecting it at all. Right up until the end of the book I kept expecting some kind of ruse where they were still alive. But nope :( 

I'm currently halfway through book two and I see why people have issues with it. Still enjoying it though. As a minor question, which book does Sabetha show up in? I've been waiting for her since the teases in Lies and keep thinking every mysterious character will be her

It has to be almost out of the question that it comes out in September, looking at these developments.

Which is odd because it really has been announced by both author and publisher. That actually happened.

But with both the US edition and UK edition not available for ordering just a few weeks before supposed release, I mean that is very rare. We'll see.

I think that Jean will check out on this book. I don't want that to happen, but I think it is going to happen.

I think that we all knew from the end of the first book, that Locke will be alone and will have to fix his stuff for himself. Jean out of his life will make Locke's life very different.

7 hours ago, Calibandar said:

It has to be almost out of the question that it comes out in September, looking at these developments.

Which is odd because it really has been announced by both author and publisher. That actually happened.

But with both the US edition and UK edition not available for ordering just a few weeks before supposed release, I mean that is very rare. We'll see.

Yeah it's odd. By all accounts the book is done. In fact there was talk about it being pushed from august to September i order to line up with the book tour.

8 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Why?

It's not impossible, if frustrating, there will be a further delay. But the UK publisher is Scott's primary publisher, not the American (and the geographic element is utterly irrelevant: Scott sold the books to Gollancz, not Bantam). The American publisher is riding on their coattails, and if they can't switch schedules fast enough than that is just how it goes, as it was for the first two books in the series.

Archived