Scott Lynch's THORN OF EMBERLAIN

Werthead

I think the argument that it's likely to be delayed again is being based more on the fact that the hardcover's disappeared from Amazon UK than on Del Rey's scheduling issues -- which are unfortunate but, yeah, very much a case of them's the breaks and it doesn't really matter -- no? The hardcover listing underneath the Thorn of Emberlain kindle edition now leads to "Untitled Lynch 4 of 4," which is listed for March 2018. It's too bad, because it sounded like they really were pretty positive and they don't usually announce if they're not, but it doesn't look great. Ah well, these things happen; hopefully they can reschedule soon, if September is indeed not gonna work out.

4 hours ago, Maester Llama said:

I think the argument that it's likely to be delayed again is being based more on the fact that the hardcover's disappeared from Amazon UK than on Del Rey's scheduling issues -- which are unfortunate but, yeah, very much a case of them's the breaks and it doesn't really matter -- no? The hardcover listing underneath the Thorn of Emberlain kindle edition now leads to "Untitled Lynch 4 of 4," which is listed for March 2018. It's too bad, because it sounded like they really were pretty positive and they don't usually announce if they're not, but it doesn't look great. Ah well, these things happen; hopefully they can reschedule soon, if September is indeed not gonna work out.

Wert, this is what my reply would have been to your "why".

I would think though that in addition to the UK hardcover now disappearing, Del Rey will be keen to see a release for Thorn at about the same time as the UK edition, for the same reason many publishers want it. And as such, the fact that del Rey has not even scheduled it yet suggests to me that the UK release is also in danger. Primary publisher or not, I don't think Del Rey would want a release 6-12 months later ( and Del Rey's schedule is already ready up and including April 2017, and Lynch is not on it currently). They may still slot him in before April, who knows. My feeling is that as long as there is not even a listing for a US release, we're not getting the UK version in September. The first 3 books did not have significantly diverging release dates for US and UK releases either by the way, so there is also no precedent.

An announcement that September is also falling through would not surprise me one bit.

New blog post from Lynch:

http://scottlynch.us/blog/2016/07/29/the-big-move/

Moving has been a crushing distraction and a massive time commitment, and it has thrown much of my schedule into disarray. It has ended (or nearly ended, since I’m still waiting on most of my worldly goods) well, with a great house and a great new workspace, but getting to this point has been a trial, and it’s going to have some consequences on the rest of my year, which I will detail very, very shortly.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

If he was done and there was a firm publication date what would his move do to prevent publication?

Who knows?  Maybe it wasn't as firm as we were lead to believe.  But when I see Scott Lynch say:

and it’s going to have some consequences on the rest of my year, which I will detail very, very shortly

I just figure that means we are looking at significant delays.

Mostly, I'm okay with that.  Lynch had been moved into a category for me where I will just enjoy his books as a pleasant surprise when they are published.  No more anticipation for me.

29 minutes ago, 3CityApache said:

You're saying they postpone the publication date because he's not able to do a signing tour?

Depending on their marketing strategy, that doesn't sound all that crazy to me.  :dunno: 

@Ser Scot A Ellison After some of the shenanigans I've seen with other authors and their statements on completion status of their books, I've gotten to the point where I don't figure its done until its in my hands often times.  :crying: 

Lynch has gotten to the stage where he gets very decent sales in the UK and USA but he's not in the Rothfuss superleague or anything like that. With 3 years since the last book (already!?!), they'd certainly want to capitalise on a signing tour. But at the same time those kind of tours aren't quite as impactful as they used to be. One Reddit AMA probably gets more attention.

7 hours ago, Werthead said:

Lynch has gotten to the stage where he gets very decent sales in the UK and USA but he's not in the Rothfuss superleague or anything like that. With 3 years since the last book (already!?!), they'd certainly want to capitalise on a signing tour. But at the same time those kind of tours aren't quite as impactful as they used to be. One Reddit AMA probably gets more attention.

I would think in Scott's case, an AMA would be a huge draw.  With his well publicized fight with depression, I think a lot of people would tune in.

Well it would be nice for him to at least post an update now. Clearly the book isn't coming out in September as confirmed, and most likely there is a reason that once again pertains to Scott himself. The book has been delayed several times already and an explanation, and especially a genuine ETA for Thorn, would be what I'm interested in. It's really..... unfortunate... to announce a a long awaited book's publication and then not to pull through.

On the possible upside, 2017 is looking like the year every favorite author releases a book. If only George..

On 8/8/2016 at 1:54 AM, Calibandar said:

Not sure if this was up before, or if it means anything,  but the German translation for Thorn is listed as March 2017.

https://www.amazon.com/Das-Schwert-von-Emberlain-Lamora-ebook/dp/B01G1UL5DS/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1470600958&sr=1-1

UK hardcover for Sep 2016 now removed ,instead it shows - Untitled Lynch 4 of 4 (Gollancz S.F.) Hardcover – 1 March 2018

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Untitled-Lynch-Gollancz-S-F-Scott/dp/0575079584/

Bookdepository - Currently unavailable .We can notify you when this item is back in stock

http://www.bookdepository.com/The-Thorn-of-Emberlain-Scott-Lynch/9780575077058?ref=grid-view

Archived