Scott Lynch's THORN OF EMBERLAIN

Werthead

http://scottlynch78.tumblr.com/post/157854271443/crikey-end-of-the-month

Crikey! End of the Month!

It’s a gorgeous albeit unseasonally warm night here in Massachusetts, with soupy mists drifting across the quiet streets and the gentle sound of droplets pattering from leafless branches to the ground below. Several cats are watching me type – it’s possible they are more interested in their as-yet-unmaterialized dinner than in my editorializing.

I have precisely seven items of variable interest I’m doing a little gotta-go-potty dance to share, but I am still waiting on confirmation for one, and I want to do them all at once. So hang tight. Watch this space and my other spaces; I’m gonna talk as soon as I freakin’ can. Seriously. It’s all good news, at least if you like the stuff I do.

I dunno... when I see him say that he has "seven items of variable interest" to announce... that makes me think he has a ton of projects going on and will be hard pressed to finish any of them in a timely manner.

Reminds me of a certain other author, especially in terms of an infamous New Years announcement...

Actually though I think it's fairly likely one of the details is announcement of completion/release date for "Thorn".

I'm guessing one of the things are details about his story in the Book of Swords- which I think he tweeted something about but hadn't posted details yet on his blog.  And another is probably some information about this Dusk City Outlaws Kickstarter I've vaguely been hearing about that's somewhat based on the "Lockeverse".

No idea about other announcements.

Here's the big announcement:

I just confirmed the final item (Number  2 below) and can now disclose all exactly 7 updates.

1) Our unpacking is complete and we are fully settled into the new house!

2) All of our cats have recovered from the terrible diarrhea that has plagued us since the move.

3) Now that I am not changing the litter box every 5 minutes, I am able to start writing again.

4) I have perfected my lasagna recipe, which is the only time I allow myself to break from writing.

5) Look for a future post on this space and my other spaces with my perfect lasagna recipe.

6) I've started teaching a class to help writers with writer-block. Patrick Rothfuss is my first client and things are going really well so far: I have become very prolific at first-person shooters.

7) By the end of March, I will be announcing exactly 13 items of varying interest. They will all be good news.

Yes.  That's not actually the update (nothing new is posted yet at Lynch's tumblr).

Although kind of funny, I find it kind of in poor taste though, because while I wasn't happy with the reveal that Thorn wasn't going to be published this past September, with his struggles with depression, Lynch has a pretty good reason for the schedule slip of that book, and so it kind of rubs me the wrong way to parody his updates concerning things going well for him in his personal life.

Although, I am sensing a possible Garfield joke so maybe I'm reading too much in terms of seeing a malicious sentiment.

No worries.  Malicious was probably too strong on my part and I don't mean to go "leave Scott alone!".  I guess in terms of authors who have schedule slips, I cut him a lot more slack than I do Rothfus (or Martin for that matter) because of the reason behind it.  And because he is receptive to giving updates.

A few years back, I had a fairly negative opinion due to all of these hypothetical books Lynch was imagining when only I think two were out at that point.  But I came around after learning more about the guy and his situation and I don't think he's really promoting those hypothetical books anymore anyway.

I could be wrong that one of his announcements will be the completion of "Thorn", but I don't think it's totally out there (I forget how much was left when he made his last announcement).  

Archived