Scott Lynch's THORN OF EMBERLAIN

Werthead

Can't see a problem with discussion, though I'm not sure the underlying concept is specifically an issue to do with publishing -- film, television, music can all have instances of predicted follow-ups that don't materialize. It may be better for General rather than Literature.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a bit hesitant to post this, since I was "fooled" before, but another update from Scott that seems legit.

There was just a new episode of a podcast called "Unreliable Narrators" where Scott was interviewed along with Elizabeth Bear.  It's quite amusing and informative, so I'd recommend a listen in any case- http://unreliablenarrators.net/2017/11/120-author-spotlight-scott-lynch-and-elizabeth-bear/.

However, on the specific point of Thorn, Scott says on the podcast that it is definitely coming out in 2018, and the way he discusses that and other current involvements (short stories and a secret project), it seems legit and something I'd take stock in (but see previous comment on being fooled before).

47 minutes ago, Brother Longfoot said:

I'm a bit hesitant to post this, since I was "fooled" before, but another update from Scott that seems legit.

There was just a new episode of a podcast called "Unreliable Narrators" where Scott was interviewed along with Elizabeth Bear.  It's quite amusing and informative, so I'd recommend a listen in any case- http://unreliablenarrators.net/2017/11/120-author-spotlight-scott-lynch-and-elizabeth-bear/.

However, on the specific point of Thorn, Scott says on the podcast that it is definitely coming out in 2018, and the way he discusses that and other current involvements (short stories and a secret project), it seems legit and something I'd take stock in (but see previous comment on being fooled before).

Here's hoping.  I'm going to read it when it comes out.

15 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Here's hoping.  I'm going to read it when it comes out.

Will buy it on release day and read it immediately.  However, until I actually see it on said release day... I won’t get my anticipation spren riled up.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually Ser Scott started off this little resurgence :P see below

On 22/12/2017 at 0:11 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Anything else on ToE?

Coincidentally (I had quoted this and typed my response but forgot to hit send at the The time) I actually dreamed I saw The Thorn of Emberlain in a bookshop the other night. I’m not even sure why, but in my dream I remember rushing to the forum to be the first to break this news (why nobody else would know it was out I’m not quite sure) :lol: 

39 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Actually Ser Scott started off this little resurgence :P see below

Coincidentally (I had quoted this and typed my response but forgot to hit send at the The time) I actually dreamed I saw The Thorn of Emberlain in a bookshop the other night. I’m not even sure why, but in my dream I remember rushing to the forum to be the first to break this news (why nobody else would know it was out I’m not quite sure) :lol: 

I’m in the midst of my first time through the audiobooks of this series.  I wondered about the next.  

:)

Heh, my fiancee finished reading Red Seas Under Red Skies last night around 3am. She then immediately plunged into the first 40, 50 pages of Republic of Thieves immediately to find out what happens next to Locke. 

*evil cackle*

Another Lynch fan successfully hooked! :)

On 26.12.2017 at 4:16 AM, Corvinus said:

In the meantime, thanks for getting me to click on this topic.

(And you're welcome, next person to click here)

[Evil cackle]

I'm not visiting this thread again unless there's dozens of new posts in an hour or so.

So, I’m re-reading LoLL.  Why would Locke agree to go to Raven’s Reach with the Salvaras in the first place.  He knows they know he’s running a con because he told them he was.  Shouldn’t he have been suspicious that something was up when Don Salvara claimed to be tapped out?  Wasn’t that a huge tell?  Didn’t the GB’s thoughly research their target before starting their game?

14 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

So, I’m re-reading LoLL.  Why would Locke agree to go to Raven’s Reach with the Salvaras in the first place.  He knows they know he’s running a con because he told them he was.  Shouldn’t he have been suspicious that something was up when Don Salvara claimed to be tapped out?  Wasn’t that a huge tell?  Didn’t the GB’s thoughly research their target before starting their game?

I reread Lies a couple of years ago (when Thorn was supposed to be released), and I thought that was explained completely?  I have a wicked head-cold right now, so details are fuzzy.

7 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I reread Lies a couple of years ago (when Thorn was supposed to be released), and I thought that was explained completely?  I have a wicked head-cold right now, so details are fuzzy.

It is sort of papered over when Locke, recovering from being sealed inside a barrel of horsepiss and reeling from the deaths of his friends says that "this is exactly what Chains would have wanted them to achieve".  Locke and Jean also desperately needed money at that point. 

That said, I still have to wonder what he thought he would gain by going there.  I still think Don Salvara claiming he couldn't give Fehrwight another few thousand Crowns was tipping his hand.  Locke should have known the Don wasn't really tapped out and that this was problematic given that they had told the Salvaras that they were attempting to steal from them when they pretended to be Midnighters.  

Archived