Scott Lynch's THORN OF EMBERLAIN

Werthead

8 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

This is the first time I can recall having a hard release date and the release being cancelled.  How often does this happen.  What could cause this after having a firm release date?  Would they set a hard release date on an incomplete book?

Wert?

It's not unheard of but it's extremely rare, mainly because the lead times involved in publishing are so long that such things will be changed with more notice than eight weeks.

So far taken at face value, it sounds like the book was effectively completed apart from the final round of editing and polishing. Based on Scott's tweets, it sounds like the moving situation took significantly longer than expected and delayed final sign-off on the book.

I wouldn't start panicking about the 2018 dates, they're likely Amazon placeholders. The real release date I suspect will be in early 2017. But yes, very disappointing.

Obviously I know that the internet is full of trolls... but yesterday I saw something I didn't think I'd see.  Tor Books is releasing a digital companion book for the Stormlight Archives by Sanderson.  In the comments section of the Facebook posting, I saw multiple people griping about how long its taking book three to come out.  Even saying things like "stop working on Mistborn and get back to this."  Talking about Brandon Sanderson!!!!!!

If the publishing robot that is Sanderson can't get a break from fans on release schedules, what hope is there for guys like Lynch????  :stunned: 

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Obviously I know that the internet is full of trolls... but yesterday I saw something I didn't think I'd see.  Tor Books is releasing a digital companion book for the Stormlight Archives by Sanderson.  In the comments section of the Facebook posting, I saw multiple people griping about how long its taking book three to come out.  Even saying things like "stop working on Mistborn and get back to this."  Talking about Brandon Sanderson!!!!!!

If the publishing robot that is Sanderson can't get a break from fans on release schedules, what hope is there for guys like Lynch????  :stunned: 

It's coming from those who do see author's as owing us their work.  We'll get the book when we get the book.  I just hate seeing a publication date announced by the publisher and the book doesn't show up.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Well it's one extreme vs another. People who really love the Stormlight books are obviously still keen to see the next book asap. And if they see Sanderson is doing other stuff in between, they get annoyed by that because it's not what they are hoping for. What they seem to forget is that they really can't complain because he is already publishing enormous books at a fairly quick rate, even with other stuff in between.

Lynch, GRRM, and Rothfuss, operate on the very opposite end of that spectrum. 

14 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Well it's one extreme vs another. People who really love the Stormlight books are obviously still keen to see the next book asap. And if they see Sanderson is doing other stuff in between, they get annoyed by that because it's not what they are hoping for. What they seem to forget is that they really can't complain because he is already publishing enormous books at a fairly quick rate, even with other stuff in between.

Lynch, GRRM, and Rothfuss, operate on the very opposite end of that spectrum. 

We get the books when we get them.  We are not entitled to new books and whining about writing times is really juvenile.

I was wondering why my preorder got cancelled...came online to find this thread...sigh.

Writers are not our bitches. They do not owe us anything.

That said, I do believe it is fair to be disappointed. Even greatly disappointed. That's human. Not at/in the writer - gods no. Disappointed that a book you were looking forward to isn't coming out - I think that's entirely okay. Then you move on and say "oh well - guess I'll have to wait longer." Perhaps it's a fine line. I think we have to be careful not to group together people who are disappointed that a book isn't coming out when they thought it would from the people "demanding" a book and saying crud about writers needing to "hurry up."  The latter is unacceptable. The former is quite natural.

5 hours ago, Rhom said:

I agree it's idiotic from the entitlement POV, but I've also seen a growing realisation amongst some Sanderson fans that they're not going to get the Stormlight books as fast as Brandon thought they would. Currently, there is no realistic way for the series to be finished this side of 2040 (!!!) if he keeps releasing them at the current rate and sticks to working on other projects simultaneously, and that's before he gets to Mistborn III or the unifying Dragonsteel series which brings all the Cosmere series together. It also presupposes he won't slow down as he gets older or won't come up with another six or seven series between now and then. So either the Stormlight books need to get a lot shorter (and we know that at least #3 won't be) or he needs to address the situation another way.

5 hours ago, banjax451 said:

Writers are not our bitches. They do not owe us anything.

It's complicated. On one hand, yes, authors are not our employees. On the other, starting a series (as opposed to writing a stand-alone) carries with it the implicit expectation that the series will be finished: would you buy a book with half the pages missing?

59 minutes ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

It's complicated. On one hand, yes, authors are not our employees. On the other, starting a series (as opposed to writing a stand-alone) carries with it the implicit expectation that the series will be finished: would you buy a book with half the pages missing?

Does it work the other way round too? If a reader has bought the first book in a series, has he or she entered into an implicit contract with the author too? Does that mean a reader is obligated to buy the second, third, or whatever book in a series as well, no matter if the reader liked the first book? If it works one way, it should also work the other way, don´t you think?

How else would authors and publishers calculate their potential audiences?

10 minutes ago, OlafK said:

Does it work the other way round too? If a reader has bought the first book in a series, has he or she entered into an implicit contract with the author too? Does that mean a reader is obligated to buy the second, third, or whatever book in a series as well, no matter if the reader liked the first book? If it works one way, it should also work the other way, don´t you think?

How else would authors and publishers calculate their potential audiences?

I don't follow the logic of your reasoning.

A series is, by definition, a story told across multiple books. A multi-volume novel, if you will. People buy the first book on the expectation that the story will be finished, since otherwise you are selling a book with half the pages missing and trying to pass it off as a full story. Alternatively, the publisher is selling the first book with no expectation as to whether people will read further. The publisher isn't invested in the completeness of the story, only whether it sells. 

Lynch is probably an exception to this implicit expectations argument, since his books more or less do stand alone: you can read the first one without needing to read the next two, or read the first three without needing to read the next one. If Lynch never writes another book, you still have a more-or-less complete narrative (there are various loose ends, but they aren't pivotal to enjoying the books). That isn't true of someone like Rothfuss, whose series currently sits on any number of unresolved plotlines.

16 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Calibander,

Indeed, they are not.

I always laugh really hard when people are silly enough to gobble up the Gaiman nonsense.

14 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Do you not find whining about writing times to be whiney, juvenile, and entitled?

Depends on the case. But usually those who complain have a good case and I find the whiners to be the people who cannot understand why fans of a series want another book and cannot understand why fans are frustrated with long delayed books. There are some authors out there that really slack off and people are absolutely entitled to criticize that.

In short, my opinion is the complete opposite of yours. The thing I dislike immensely are those who complain about fans righteously commenting on authors who prioritize other things above writing an actual book or authors whose work ethic is questionable. Slogans like "take all the time you need" and "it'll be done when it's done" are just about the most inane things that can be said in such discussions. It is perfectly normal and acceptable to voice irritation over long delayed books.

43 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

It is perfectly normal and acceptable to voice irritation over long delayed books.

I get irritated sometimes when a book I wait for is postponed again and again, but there is no such thing as any given time to complete a book. Even if writing a previous volume in a series took author a year, it doesn't mean than the next volume should be published after another year. It can be longer, harder to write, whatever. So what does "long delayed book" actually mean? Comparing to what? Reader's expectations?

There are some authors out there that really slack off and people are absolutely entitled to criticize that.

Let's not pretend that you know any of these authors well enough to be in a position to judge whether they are, in fact, making their best efforts.

Criticising people on the basis of half-truths, rumours, suppositions, assumptions and incomplete information may seem reasonable, but that's only because it allows one's frustration to be vented in a manner that feels justified, even though 99% of the time, it's not.

Archived