Should I read A Song of Ice and Fire if I've already watched the series?

Maria

I've read great reviews on the books, but I wonder if it's even worth it to read the books if I'm already up to date with Game of Thrones. If you think it's worth it or you don't think it's worth it, please let me know down below. Thanks!

Yes.

You may know many things about what is gonna happen, but the show have limited budget, had to cut action sequences, a lot of characters and the screentime restrain mean they don't focus in characterization and character development as much as the books. Add, the fact, the showrunners seems to not understand (or didn't want to adapt)the themes the book have. So, I recommend the books, it is absolutely a good ride. 

An absolute YES.

I started watching the show and I liked it a lot, so I decided to try to read the books at roughly the same pace. After I watched an episode, I read roughly the same chapters that had been covered on tv. And even though I knew what was going to happen, I always enjoyed more the reading.

During the first three seasons it was quite easy to behave like that, and I always recommended newcommers to the series to do it as well. That changed in the last seasons. Not only the order of the events was changed in the show (which is understandable as book 4 and 5 mostly overlap in time), but also the producets started to remove, add and and modify plotlines at will. While some made sense (Hardhome, for instance) others were a complete disappointment (I'm looking at you Jaime-in-Dorne). There are even MAJOR plotlines that have been completely removed, so from now on the stories are likely to diverge even more.

I personally have made a hard choice: I won't watch season 6 until The Winds of Winter (the 6th book) is released. But most readers are still watching the show, as they argue (correctly) that the difference is now so big that is unlikely that they will get the books spoiled. I prefer not to get risks anyway, but that's only me. What I try to say is that even "hard-core" readers are still watching the show even though it is now beyond the published books. And they will keep reading. So don't worry if you think you will get the books spoiled because you have already watched the show. You won't. You will enjoy them A LOT, I promise.

A final piece of advice. Try to keep book-characters and show-characters separate in your mind, though. It is often very difficult to forget nonsensical behaviours that the showrunners thought funny to add in the show when reading about those characters, and can blurry your judgements about them. Ah! And be aware that regardless of the descriptions in the text, mentally you will not be able to picture their appearances different to their screen ones... I must admit that's somewhat a problem.

Yes, read the books!

The first 3 are fairly straightforward as far as plot and characters go, but once you get to A Feast for Crows and A Dance With Dragons, there is a lot of world building and new characters introduced. If you want to keep track in some type of linear order I recommend using Boiled Leather's guide for which order to read the chapters in, going back and forth between each book. If you would rather read based on overall themes, then stick to AFFC first then ADWD.

Even with what's been completed, the books are a lengthy read to say the least, and for that reason I wish the show had stuck to the storylines a bit more and stayed truer to the characters.

Welcome Maria, I assume you enjoy reading novels? If so, then plunge head first into the books. Read them, and then read them again. Immerse yourself in the world because it is far deeper and more enjoyable than the show portrays it. 

I enjoy the show mostly but I am so glad the books are there for that added depth the tv series can't show us.

Yes definitely read them. You get so much more character insight and depth to the world that has been created, and you get a different kind of investment in the characters.

Books 1-3 won't differ from the show too much, books 4 and 5 definitely do but by that point there is a whole host of new characters and plots the show hasn't touched so still plenty to enjoy. 

I can't recommend them enough. 

I'll give you the same advice I've given everyone who's asked me the same question.  Not Yet.

The books are great and I've enjoyed reading and re-reading them immensely, but the time between books is frustrating.  I had basically (I don't remember the exact dates) finished all the books before season 1 ended and that was six years ago.

I do reccomend "Dunk and Egg", "The Princess and the Queen" and especially, "The World of Ice and Fire" to any GoT fan, but not the aSoIaF series.  I'd say wait until the series is finished before reading.

I'd also say that I've enjoyed the TV show a lot more now that it's moved beyond the books.

5 hours ago, Maria said:

I've read great reviews on the books, but I wonder if it's even worth it to read the books if I'm already up to date with Game of Thrones. If you think it's worth it or you don't think it's worth it, please let me know down below. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Dya of Oldstones said:

Yes, read the books!

The first 3 are fairly straightforward as far as plot and characters go, but once you get to A Feast for Crows and A Dance With Dragons, there is a lot of world building and new characters introduced. If you want to keep track in some type of linear order I recommend using Boiled Leather's guide for which order to read the chapters in, going back and forth between each book. If you would rather read based on overall themes, then stick to AFFC first then ADWD.

Even with what's been completed, the books are a lengthy read to say the least, and for that reason I wish the show had stuck to the storylines a bit more and stayed truer to the characters.

Thanks for the tip on the guide for AFFC and ADWD, i'm still on ACOK on my second reread but it will come in handy soon! :D

Yes you'll learn more about the characters you love and will see alot of djfferences in characterization as you go on, you also get cool and interesting subplots/characters that didnt make it into the show.

6 hours ago, Wyman Manderly's Meat Pies said:

And the Strain is just laughable. 

Right? I loved the book trilogy.

To answer the OP I wouldn't say yes but take your time. Series one stays very true to Game. After that it gets a bit murky

Ye gods, yes, yes , YES!! But AFTER this series has ended.

I'm a late-comer; I'd somehow lived in a bubble where I hadn't even heard of GoT - show or books until about 6 months ago. I binged on series 1-5 and was smitten. I then binged on the books. I'm very glad I watched the TV show first because the books are 1000 times better and my book-knowledge is adversely affecting my enjoyment of the present season.

As soon as I'd finished the 5 current volumes I was into World, Duncan & Egg, sites like this and everything I can get my hands on - a true addict! I'm just about to commence a slow re-reading of the books looking for evidence of all the marvellous theories fans have come up with.

Up to date on GoT means less and less every day (closer to the end it will be more important), in any case the books have a much expended cast of characters, subplots, superior immersion and, tbh, motivations and characters that make much more sense. They are well written, and can be read quite quickly for the overall plot (it's a page turner) or very slowly for all the hidden meaning and foreshadowing. The only problems you might encounter are finishing the books and being utterly disappointed in the latest seasons of the show and/or waiting a LONG time for the next book, the WoW will come sooner rather than later but the DoS (and possibly a further book some speculate) are (at the very least) a few years away.

Definitely! The books are more detailed and sometimes the TV show digresses from the books. Also read the Dunk and Egg stories, as well as the short story "A Dance of Dragons" and finally "The World of Ice & Fire" if you want the full experience!

Enjoy!

I would definitely recommend the books, although, as suggested before, maybe wait until the show is over, the differences between the two may be mightly confusing.

I myself often forget if some event happens in one, the other or both storylines, hence my suggestion.

P.S.: also consider the audiobooks, i'm told the narrator is very good

Yes!!!

But start with A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms, which is the collection of stories about Dunk and Egg.  Their stories occur almost 100 years before Game of Thrones, but they provide very interesting backstory. 

As has been said or implied, the series is a summary of the books, and the books provide more depth, characters, and different story lines, especially lately.  You will not be disappointed or bored reading the books  

Archived