Should I read A Song of Ice and Fire if I've already watched the series?

Maria

Yes. It is one of the richest and rewarding reads of any high fantasy I've ever read. Plus, it's character driven so even if you don't usually like going into literary, historical, philosophical discussions or depths you will still find it a very entertaining read.

Yes, but you should watch the show in its entirety first. TWOW should (fingers crossed) have been published by then and hopefully Martin would be well on his way to completing the final installment (although I remain skeptical on whether he can finish in 7 books). If I were in your position, I would hold off on reading the books until a publication date for book 7 has been confirmed.

16 hours ago, Maria said:

I've read great reviews on the books, but I wonder if it's even worth it to read the books if I'm already up to date with Game of Thrones. If you think it's worth it or you don't think it's worth it, please let me know down below. Thanks!

You should definitely read the books now. You'll have a much better understanding of characters, theories, and plots the show do not cover. If you pick them up then I  hope you enjoy!

Obviously yes.

The stories is very complex and compelling with many plot lines and themes. More so than what the show offered (for understandable reasons). 

Though i actually recommended reading the book after the show is finish. The book is still on-going and the show has catch up the book already, so it will spoiler things that hasn't been publish yet. So if you don't want to keep yourself spoil for the sake of the book series, start reading them when the show is finish. In addition, GRMM has yet to finish the book with the last 2 remaining ones. Each of them took or will take around 5 years to finish. Unless you are willing to endure the wait for the last 2 books, like i said again, save them when the show is finish. The show has 3 (including S6 now) seasons left  and it will take around 2 years for the show to finish.  

The show is a simplified version of the book, so it's worth reading as there are things that aren't materialized on the show.

I'd say yes, read the books. You will then find that the teevie show is a kind of Reader's Digest condensed, or even Cliffnotes, version. (I may be dating myself here...) In my experience, viewing the video (teevie or movie) FIRST, then reading the source material, is actually the best way to go.

Otherwise, the video adaptation is generally a disappointment. You need to view book and vid as separate works, in a sense. The book will have a lot more. You'll get a better understanding of characters and backstory, which (oddly) may help you appreciate the series even more.

Just don't get crazy about how seasons 5 & 6 sort of take off on their own... And I would recommend NOT waiting until either (1) every book in the 7 (8? 9?) book series comes out - unless you're under 20, or (2) all 7-8 seasons of the show have played. Why deprive yourself? You're going to be "spoiled" constantly, as GoT has insinuated itself everywhere into the common culture, anyway.

19 hours ago, Maria said:

I've read great reviews on the books, but I wonder if it's even worth it to read the books if I'm already up to date with Game of Thrones. If you think it's worth it or you don't think it's worth it, please let me know down below. Thanks!

I say yes too.

The books are really well written (at least AGOT, AKoK, ASoS part one and two and ADWD part two: that's just my personal opinion) the dialogues are great and the characters are more morally 'grey' on the books than on the show, which somebody may find disappointing (like: "oh he/she was my hero and he's not so good") but in my opinion it just makes them more interesting, realistic and 'human', they react badly or very badly when hurt or betrayed or in danger, do horrible things, say things out of spite, etc..

Also, there are many things the show left out: the most important imo is a thing (which I'm not gonna spoiler) that Jamie tells Tyrion when he frees him: in the TV show, Tyrion looks like he has gone mad for no reason than the usual ones when he goes after Tywin to kill him, they made it look like she was mad ad Tywin for sleeping with Shae, for being the usual abuser and for being ready to sentence him to death, while in the books, there is a specific reason for it.

I began reading the novels after season 4. So I was spoiled for the first part of the saga, but I didn't care. If you REALLY care about the story itself (which is in literature is not all) then don't read the novels yet. 

Then again, the books, as nearly all fantasy sagas, propose a full world with its own rules, and compared to it, the series is a digerible capsule, which does not take away its merits. Learning about minor characters, Houses, locations and such is still very good for a reader.

On a side note, I am letting the show go. Since I am not an show-addict (at least not like the ones who literally eat a whole season in a single day) and only watch one series at a time to give it my full attention, I've been feeling that GoT is a waste of time since season 5. 

Go for the books man. As someone pointed out, start with the Dunk and Egg tales. No harm done to the show if you don't want it spoiled in any way.

Absolutely read the books, the books and show aren't the same thing. I know that sounds obvious, but there are so many things characters do in the show that lose something. Robb for instance.  Show Robb made a stupid mistake because he was selfish, book Robb made the same mistake but for entirely different reasons.  It was stupid but it was the opposite of selfish, honorable even. Show Sansa is growing on me, book Sansa is insufferable. Those are just two examples. Some of my favorite characters didn't even make it into the show.

Yes, you should read the books, even though you probably ruined some of the pleasure by watching the show.

I also recommend not to watch the current and coming series, because now HBO is ahead of Martin and watching it will be a crime against men and Gods.

By the way I only appreciated the first HBO season, the other ones in my opinion are horrible.

Reasons, like other said, authors seem not to understand the novel themes and they focus only mainly on the Game of Thrones, sex scenes and other stuff to attract the casual watcher.

If I was in your shoes, I'd probably just wait 2 more years for the Series to finish, then go read the books.  Couple of reasons for this:

1. Once you've read the books, you cannot "unread" them.  You will when watching the show (even if you mostly love it) having annoying little thoughts intruding your viewing pleasure. Like, "why isn't Shireens hair black", etc.. It's frustrating when that happens, because those details really are irrelevant but are distracting.  I also found myself anticipating things on the show.  I would have preferred to be completely surprised. 

2. The last 2 books aren't very good compared to the first 3.  I don't recommend that anyone read them.  Furthermore, the series is unfinished.  Might as well wait for more to be written, and while you're waiting enjoy the show!

10 minutes ago, Coren82 said:

Yes, you should read the books, even though you probably ruined some of the pleasure by watching the show.

I also recommend not to watch the current and coming series, because now HBO is ahead of Martin and watching it will be a crime against men and Gods.

By the way I only appreciated the first HBO season, the other ones in my opinion are horrible.

Reasons, like other said, authors seem not to understand the novel themes and they focus only mainly on the Game of Thrones, sex scenes and other stuff to attract the casual watcher.

You're hilarious.  The OP obviously likes the show.  You saying it's horrible is not going to change their opinion.  "Oh!!!  You're saying the show I love is horrible???  Ok.  I'll stop watching it then"

On 19/05/2016 at 4:42 PM, Ebrose said:

Ah! And be aware that regardless of the descriptions in the text, mentally you will not be able to picture their appearances different to their screen ones... I must admit that's somewhat a problem.

This not a problem with me, insofar as my two favorite characters are concerned: Jon and Arya. I picture them in the book differently, true to their in-book descriptions. ^^

Just now, Dawn of Fyre said:

This not a problem with me, insofar as my two favorite characters are concerned: Jon and Arya. I picture them in the book differently, true to their in-book descriptions. ^^

Did you start watching the show or reading the books? I'm curious

1 hour ago, A spoon of knife and fork said:

You're hilarious.  The OP obviously likes the show.  You saying it's horrible is not going to change their opinion.  "Oh!!!  You're saying the show I love is horrible???  Ok.  I'll stop watching it then"

If I watched the show without knowing anything about the books probably my opinion would be different.

"Not as good as the book" syndrome, plain and simple, but in this case there is a problem: the show can influence the novels writer, and this is unacceptable, IMO.

By the way I am reading the novels since 2002 and I stop watching the show after Red Wedding.

My friends began reading the books after watching the show, some (the good ones) dropped it not to ruin themselves the pleasure of reading, some other went on watching it, every time I have an argument with them on whatever topic they threat me to revelal me some spoilers.

They know this drives me mad, ouchh... :D

Archived