Heresy 185

Black Crow

57 minutes ago, Black Crow said:

Rules are rules I'm afraid, even it seems a bit pointless - I can't help thinking what will happen if R+L=J is ever confirmed and the internet explodes. In the meantime the branch office experiment is up and running on the 05 The Door page. See how it goes.

Thank you very much.  What is the title?  I am not seeing anything claiming to be authored by you or with Heresy in the title.

13 hours ago, Black Crow said:

Thank you Ma'am.

We may not, alas, be allowed to discuss the show, but it does indeed confirm an awful lot of the "big" stuff we have sweated on Heresy.

:commie::commie::commie:

So just to clarify we are up on the show forum right?

7 hours ago, redriver said:

Well done,main man.It looks like you hit the nail on the head.And it stands as a Heresy cornerstone that we believed the Others were "created" rather than natural entities.My take was that it was done at Greenseer level,but the show says no,so there we go.The books may differ.

But well done to you.

I 100% agree with this.....

Welcome back Redriver,Toccs and Tower of Joy...You guys have been missed.

2 hours ago, redriver said:

If its any help,I don't think we're disbarred from discussing the show,but discouraged from speculating about future shows.

This would make things shockingly simple.

16 minutes ago, wolfmaid7 said:

So just to clarify we are up on the show forum right?

I 100% agree with this.....

Welcome back Redriver,Toccs and Tower of Joy...You guys have been missed.

Thanks wolfmaid7 for recognizing these three Heretics.  Might I add to the list @redrose and also acknowledge their emergence as well.

5 minutes ago, Mace Cooterian said:

This would make things shockingly simple.

Thanks wolfmaid7 for recognizing these three Heretics.  Might I add to the list @redrose and also acknowledge their emergence as well.

Thanks Mace....I missed Redrose

10 minutes ago, wolfmaid7 said:

Thanks Mace....I missed Redrose

Spoiler

I'm curious as to your spin on the cold breath from Meera, Hodor and everyone else in the CoTF cave announcing the arrival of the WW'ers.  I'll repeat, that I'm not sure that I believe everything I'm watching on the show.  Very, very suspect and it almost seems forced.

10 hours ago, redriver said:

My take was that it was done at Greenseer level,but the show says no,so there we go.The books may differ.

Spoiler

I don't believe that what we were witnessing is the creation of your bog standard WW, like Craster's sons; instead, I think the ritual with the tree was more akin to Bran receiving the weirwood communion - which GRRM has called the "Green Ceremony" in an interview -, and that the hostage on the tree was being magically altered in a way that he would be a Greenseer level sorcerer, but for ice instead of earth. In turn, he is able to create WWs, raise wights, manipulate ice, and wage a war on the CotF's behalf; IMHO, that scene was the creation of the first King of Winter/Night's King.

Edit:

Spoiler

Also note the weather conditions when the ritual unfolds. No winter, not even a cloudy day. Granted, we don't know that the sun is actually inimical to the white walkers, but still... I think that fellow is not the same as Craster's sons, and cannot be harmed by the sun, or obsidian. The cold doesn't bring him, he brings the cold.

1 hour ago, Mace Cooterian said:
  Hide contents

I'm curious as to your spin on the cold breath from Meera, Hodor and everyone else in the CoTF cave announcing the arrival of the WW'ers.  I'll repeat, that I'm not sure that I believe everything I'm watching on the show.  Very, very suspect and it almost seems forced.

Mace my friend i'm a bit phobic talking about this even in spoiler on here.I got one warning point and i don't want to give the mods cause.Bring this question to the show section.BC started a show thread there.

2 hours ago, wolfmaid7 said:

Bring this question to the show section

wise indeed; but the whole thing is a shemozzle (a mêlée?) really.

I started reading the books after having seen 3 seasons of GoT all at once. The knowledge of some outcomes never took away from the richness of the books.

You'd have to live under a mushroom not to know what is going on outside of the books.

I can only hope that the show continues to diverge as much as it has in seasons 4 and 5 and becomes a different story altogether so as to make the books worthwhile if and when they get published.

It's a difficult one to be sure and underlined by the popularity of the Branch Office thread. Nevertheless, while the mummers version is going to reveal some essential truths, it is clearly unable to reflect a story not yet written and to borrow a phrase, many roads lead to the same castle so notwithstanding what may or may not be revealed as to the castle we're probably taking a very different road to it in these pages and there is still a lot worth discussing, not least from the synopsis, without following the very different path across the way.

3 hours ago, Black Crow said:

It's a difficult one to be sure and underlined by the popularity of the Branch Office thread. Nevertheless, while the mummers version is going to reveal some essential truths, it is clearly unable to reflect a story not yet written and to borrow a phrase, many roads lead to the same castle so notwithstanding what may or may not be revealed as to the castle we're probably taking a very different road to it in these pages and there is still a lot worth discussing, not least from the synopsis, without following the very different path across the way.

You have it sussed.We cannot accept anything as cannon purely based on the show,it requires back up from the books,such as Craster's Sons were.The books have yet to be published,so we are all equally in the dark in that respect.

7 hours ago, Black Crow said:

there is still a lot worth discussing

yes, definitely.

I do have a nagging question: is there any evidence of male CotFs?

i can find evidence that they have existed in the World book but can't that they still exist.

On 5/22/2016 at 2:26 PM, Black Crow said:

#Voice

A decision that may require his cutting Bran's head off...:devil:

I was actually thinking of something even worse, as awful as beheading Bran would be.

I'm wondering if he will have to end House Stark.

Just wanted to say that I found this topic fascinating, especially the 1993 letter which I hadn't seen before. Unfortunately, though, I don't have the time to go through the past 184 threads :P

There wouldn't happen to be kind of a "best of Heresy" thread anywhere, would there? Or at least some links to essays written in previous threads? 

1 hour ago, Fox of House McCloud said:

Just wanted to say that I found this topic fascinating, especially the 1993 letter which I hadn't seen before. Unfortunately, though, I don't have the time to go through the past 184 threads :P

There wouldn't happen to be kind of a "best of Heresy" thread anywhere, would there? Or at least some links to essays written in previous threads? 

Ha, I'm new to the game myself and love these heresy threads. I'm not conversant with the rules spoken and unspoken yet, neither the history. Surely there haven't been 184 prior threads so the numbering must be a private joke. Anyone want to let us newbies in?? B)

8 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

Ha, I'm new to the game myself and love these heresy threads. I'm not conversant with the rules spoken and unspoken yet, neither the history. Surely there haven't been 184 prior threads so the numbering must be a private joke. Anyone want to let us newbies in?? B)

Well, if you check the 'Heretics Guide to Heresy' thread, there's a link to each past topic. And it sure looks like there's 184 previous ones! :o

There truly are 184 prior renditions of this thread. I believe it was started way back in 2011. Unfortunately with the latest update on Westeros most of the links to the prior heresy threads in the guide don't work correctly any more. The threads are still around and archived and can be found if you do a Google search for them. Heresy 100 has a series of essays that were done at the time as a lead up to the Centennial edition. 

Archived