How Dany Will Take The Iron Throne (show only)

Pusarium

Okay, so first some disclaimers: I am a book-first, show-second guy, having just finished my second read through of the series. I love the books, and I love the show, and I recognize that they are divergent stories that follow the same general path. What I suggest here is only possible in the HBO series (IMO). 

This is also my first stab at a theoretical post. I hope you enjoy. Please be nice. :)

So, how will Dany take the Iron Throne in a compelling way, that makes sense, and will leave enough time to tell the rest of the tale? It goes like this... 

Regarding the sequence of events in King's Landing with the Tyrell army (second largest at this point in the show universe) about to march into the city, Dany's plot line looking to be wrapping up soon in Meereen with a massive Dothraki army at her back, and the Dorne realm in political upheaval (we imagine), I think there's a storm-a-brewing. My thought is that all of these events together will allow the show to fast forward to Dany taking back the Iron Throne. Many interesting, exciting, and detailed events will happen, I'm sure, but here's overview of my thoughts on this:

1. Dany comes out triumphant upon her return to Meereen with the Dothraki horde. 
  2. She sails west with the full army of Dothraki, surviving sellsword companies, and Unsullied (plus maybe the Ironborn on their ships).
  3. Dany and her host land in Dorne and the women-led government in political turmoil bow to her as their savior with the combined interest of exacting revenge on the Lannisters and overthrowing the Iron Throne. Dorne's 50,000 swords march with her. At this point, she'll have close to 150,000 soldiers in her command (plus 3 large dragons).
  4. The Reach will be pretty much empty of opposition because the Tyrell army and their bannermen are in King's Landing duking it out with the Faith Militant.
  5. Shit hits the fan in KL due to the impending civil war, and when Dany's army arrives, KL is in despair and all peoples look to Dany, her dragons, and massive following as their savior (Aegon the Conqueror come again).
    1. Mini-tangent: I've always thought Dany was the 'younger, more beautiful queen' from Cersei's prophecy (not Margaery). This may be obvious to some.
  6. Dany conquers KL and retakes the Iron Throne relatively quickly, and turns her gaze north for the true battle with The Others.

What do you think? Plausible in the show universe? 

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 4:01 PM, Pusarium said:

Okay, so first some disclaimers: I am a book-first, show-second guy, having just finished my second read through of the series. I love the books, and I love the show, and I recognize that they are divergent stories that follow the same general path. What I suggest here is only possible in the HBO series (IMO). 

This is also my first stab at a theoretical post. I hope you enjoy. Please be nice. :)

Never!!!  I'm full of bile!!!  And welcome to the forum.

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 4:01 PM, Pusarium said:

So, how will Dany take the Iron Throne in a compelling way, that makes sense, and will leave enough time to tell the rest of the tale? It goes like this... 

Regarding the sequence of events in King's Landing with the Tyrell army (second largest at this point in the show universe) about to march into the city, Dany's plot line looking to be wrapping up soon in Meereen with a massive Dothraki army at her back, and the Dorne realm in political upheaval (we imagine), I think there's a storm-a-brewing. My thought is that all of these events together will allow the show to fast forward to Dany taking back the Iron Throne. Many interesting, exciting, and detailed events will happen, I'm sure, but here's overview of my thoughts on this:

1. Dany comes out triumphant upon her return to Meereen with the Dothraki horde. 
  2. She sails west with the full army of Dothraki, surviving sellsword companies, and Unsullied (plus maybe the Ironborn on their ships).
  3. Dany and her host land in Dorne and the women-led government in political turmoil bow to her as their savior with the combined interest of exacting revenge on the Lannisters and overthrowing the Iron Throne. Dorne's 50,000 swords march with her. At this point, she'll have close to 150,000 soldiers in her command (plus 3 large dragons).
  4. The Reach will be pretty much empty of opposition because the Tyrell army and their bannermen are in King's Landing duking it out with the Faith Militant.
  5. Shit hits the fan in KL due to the impending civil war, and when Dany's army arrives, KL is in despair and all peoples look to Dany, her dragons, and massive following as their savior (Aegon the Conqueror come again).
    1. Mini-tangent: I've always thought Dany was the 'younger, more beautiful queen' from Cersei's prophecy (not Margaery). This may be obvious to some.
  6. Dany conquers KL and retakes the Iron Throne relatively quickly, and turns her gaze north for the true battle with The Others.

A lot of this seems likely in the show, particularly 1 and 2.

I think they mean to wrap up Dorne as quickly and as painlessly as possible.  Ellaria and the SS won't be around by the time Dany invades.  She'll probably hit KL directly, with a lot off "Cersei is still ruling KL" filler to give Dany time to wrap up her other plot threads.

I don't think Dany will fight the Others in the books, but it certainly doesn't seem impossible in the show.

The throne is being destroyed, not going to mentition sources but episode 10 is beginning of the end for KL. All of the pieces of the puzzle will be running north next season and Daenerys is dead by the end of it. If she sits on the iron throne, it would be a huge shocker.

On 5/20/2016 at 4:01 PM, Pusarium said:

the rules of screenwriting say you attack your protagonist until the very end. points 1-5 seem rather making life too easy for dany.

I don't really want Dany (especially show Dany) on the Iron Throne. Not sure if it's okay to admit that! So far she's shown herself to be a terrible queen who can only get things done by force, or by burning people.

I actually think Tommen might make a fairly decent ruler if he has the chance to grow into the role. 

5 hours ago, HashRouge said:

I don't really want Dany (especially show Dany) on the Iron Throne. Not sure if it's okay to admit that! So far she's shown herself to be a terrible queen who can only get things done by force, or by burning people.

I actually think Tommen might make a fairly decent ruler if he has the chance to grow into the role. 

Agreed, but Tommen's fate appears to be set. Go Jon Starkgaryen?

I've been speculating for some time along these lines:

Dany now sees herself as Azor Ahai, the Chosen One, messiah of R'hllor. When she returns to Meereen the red priests/priestesses will have convinced many to follow her, but at the same a master/ex-slave revolt will cause carnage. Dany will bugger off to fulfil her destiny in Westeros, using the Ironborn fleet to ferry the Dothraki and others (the show might gloss over the logistics - realistically the needs the Volantis fleet but maybe the TV show doesn't have time).

Again, due to TV timing constraints she might skip the Reach, Dorne and the Dragonstone and just rock right up at KL. She'll arrive on Drogon just after Tommen has died and Cercei has done an Aerys and burnt KL with wildfire. Dany's iron throne will literally be a lump of melted steel.

Curtain falls on season 6; cue season 7 as Dany heads north ...

18 hours ago, thehandwipes said:

I think they mean to wrap up Dorne as quickly and as painlessly as possible.  Ellaria and the SS won't be around by the time Dany invades.

I would love for this to be true, but I doubt they would've added Indira Varma to the main cast this season if she was just going to have a three-minute scene in the premiere episode. Sad as it is, it seems pretty certain that Dorne, or at least Ellaria, will continue to play a part in this season, and perhaps the next.

I think the theory in the OP is pretty sound, though Dany will have to meet a couple of obstacles along the way because as VladimirDulud pointed out, a protagonist's path can't be too easy. She'll probably run into problems with the slavers and Tyrion's deal when she returns to Meereen, maybe with the Ironborn (if they sail to Slaver's Bay), and she'll most definitely meet some resistance when she arrives in Westeros.

She'll probably come flying in on Drogon and land at the Sept of Baelor. Where she will then deliver a hypcrotical/smug speech about how she and her family were wrongfully removed from power and now shes taking it back and burning anyone that gets in her way.

How is an army that size going to be paid, fed and supplied?  Who will be in charge of that? And from where will all this food and the supplies come from?  Who is paying for it all, and from where?  Inquiring minds and all that. :)

She won't.  I think that the Iron Throne does come into play because it is dragon melted steel.  I think that it would be awesome if someone orders the thing melted down.  I'd put money on Jon rather than Dany however.

As for King's Landing,

Spoiler

Cersei burns down the Sept of Baelor with the High Sparrow and the Tyrells in it.  I suspect that the rest of the city catches fire as well. 

And Cersei imitating the Mad King should pose a great dilemma for Jaime. 

5 hours ago, Zorral said:

How is an army that size going to be paid, fed and supplied?  Who will be in charge of that? And from where will all this food and the supplies come from?  Who is paying for it all, and from where?  Inquiring minds and all that. :)

Er, these petty logistical details aren't too important in the show. Hell, if LF can teleport into Moletown, a massed army can pop up anywhere, anytime.

On 5/21/2016 at 0:03 AM, Marcus Agrippa said:

The throne is being destroyed, not going to mentition sources but episode 10 is beginning of the end for KL. All of the pieces of the puzzle will be running north next season and Daenerys is dead by the end of it. If she sits on the iron throne, it would be a huge shocker.

I'm not convinced you have 'sources' however this does seem to be the most plausible way things will pan out in my eyes, I can see Kings Landing becoming irrelevant and the bitter sweet ending is Dany's death and Jon trying to rebuild the seven kingdoms.

2 hours ago, JonSnowed said:

I'm not convinced you have 'sources' however this does seem to be the most plausible way things will pan out in my eyes, I can see Kings Landing becoming irrelevant and the bitter sweet ending is Dany's death and Jon trying to rebuild the seven kingdoms.

I found his "sources" on reddit.  They seem legit, having gotten many very specific details right the last few weeks (Hold the Door included).  

56 minutes ago, JonSnowed said:

Do you have a link? I certainly hope it's correct and it does seem that a lot of stuff leaks on Reddit.

have fun.

As for the daenerys bit, its just sort of heavily foreshadowed as is the thrones demise. Next season will be setting up the end game, season 8 will be the end game. 

Archived