Star Trek: Beyond the 1st Trailer

JGP

The folks making these movies are aware that what most people liked about the TV show wasn't the action, but rather the compelling plots and interesting characters... right? Because what I see is a bunch of action, a plot about as deep as a puddle and a bunch of pretty one dimensional archetypes that probably haven't grown one iota since the end of the first movie. Probably gonna give this one a miss as well.

2 hours ago, GrimTuesday said:

The folks making these movies are aware that what most people liked about the TV show wasn't the action, but rather the compelling plots and interesting characters... right? Because what I see is a bunch of action, a plot about as deep as a puddle and a bunch of pretty one dimensional archetypes that probably haven't grown one iota since the end of the first movie. Probably gonna give this one a miss as well.

I'm not saying the trek films are good but they are at least taking into account what makes a successful movie these days and it's not what made the TV show popular. They wouldn't have got beyond the initial reboot if they had went after the TV audience (which to be fair had also been dwindling). We have to cross our fingers that the new show does the things you want as that's more suited to successful shows in the current market.

I liked the warp effect in the trailer - that was the highlight for me. Not convinced about the motorbikes - while I can see a motorbike still existing in the future it just looks too "today" for my liking.

I wonder if they'll get around to adressing why they don't just teleport across the galaxy now they've accidentally established it as quicker than warp speed for interplanetary distances? Not even sure they required "line of sight" when they did it in into darkness.

I think this looks better than the first trailer. And lines like "I think you're underestimating humanity" makes me hope this will be better. Also, does the ship that they're using towards the end of the trailer look like the ships from Enterprise?

The first trailer looked like utter shite. This one only looks mostly shite instead. Although it does look like the iEnterprise buys it, so hopefully we can get a better-designed ship for the next film.

Unless the reviews are absolutely outstanding, this will be the first time in thirty years that I don't go to see a Star Trek movie in the cinema. That'd be a real shame, but the previous two movies were just so weak I really can't justify it.

I wonder if they'll get around to adressing why they don't just teleport across the galaxy now they've accidentally established it as quicker than warp speed for interplanetary distances? Not even sure they required "line of sight" when they did it in into darkness.

According to director Justin Lin, they've just dropped the idea because it was just crap.

This looks like utter trash. Like UTTER TRASH. 

Ok the first 2 movies weren't fantastic, but at the very least I felt that those behind the scenes were at least trying to make a good movie, they just screwed it up a little bit. This has the feeling of a thoughtless 'throw everything at the screen' attempt to cash in on the name. None of it seemingly has any real relevance to Star Trek.. other than its seemingly in space. It just looks like a standard space actioner, with a bunch of bright colours and flashing lights.  Oh and some really horrible looking aliens.

The trailer doesn't really tell us anything new, seems in line with the previous two films, but I have more trust in Lin as a director than in JJ Abrams, especially in terms of keeping things coherent and sane and not, say, making spaceflight and death redundant, so I'm kinda hopeful.

I think it's promising that he and Pegg in the writer's seat are actually seeming to go back to some logical character points from the first film and build on them, and while the knowledge that the studio made Pegg re-write it to make it a bigger action thing is worrying, the fact that this sort of balance of big daft action and surprisingly endearing character work is exactly what Lin learned and proved he could do in the Fast and Furious films is a good sign for me.

I think Lin gets a little too much credit for this F&F movies. Dumb fun they might be, but at the same time they are still pretty poor quality in a number of areas. I think hes just transported his dumb fun ethic to Star Trek, unfortunately I don't think Star Trek should really ever be just.. dumb.

it's got spaceships that go faster than light, space aliens that speak english, radical bodily disaggregation that does not appear to kill people, and weapons stronger than nukes that don't really ever blow anything up.  of course it's fucking stupid ab initio.

Star Trek the motion picture was among the biggest disappointments of my life in the theatre and it was precisely because there was absolutely no action. It was remedied in a hurry with The Wrath of Khan, still to this day far and away the best Star Trek film ever made and one of my all time favorite movies. 

While I can agree the last Star Trek movie had plot consistency problems galore, It was still more entertaining than some of the drivel we have received in other Star Trek movies. I also absolutely adored the first JJ Abrams addition. I am looking forward to this one.

8 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Dumb fun they might be, but at the same time they are still pretty poor quality in a number of areas.

Of course they are, they're not masterpieces (although I love 5, honestly), but for all their sillyness what they do do is maintain an internal consistency about their own rules and mythos that Abrams ended up failing to do in Star Trek (and I'm not talking about the infidelities to original Star Trek, since apart from Wrath of Khan I've  pretty much never watched any preboot ST).

It's not that I disliked Abram's Trek overall, but he messed up the end of STID something rotten and I think Lin could be the man to refine the formula, with Pegg's help. I'm not expecting or looking for it to go towards what the TV show was, just be a better movie on the movie series' own terms.

46 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Of course they are, they're not masterpieces (although I love 5, honestly), 

If five is the one with the safe, then I'm seriously judging you right now ( As an aside, I think the Fast and Furious movies don't get as much credit as they deserve. It's quite impressive the way Lin turned that franchise around with FF 3-6) 

For what it's worth - I think that trailer is decent. STID was woeful - hopefully looks like it's going to be better. 

15 hours ago, Werthead said:

According to director Justin Lin, they've just dropped the idea because it was just crap.

Sometimes that's the best solution.

I agree that proudly proclaiming the director of "Fast and Furious" says a lot about the crowd they are going for. I've mindlessly enjoyed some of the F&F films but it's a shame that's what my expectations for this trek film is. Let's not forget he directed season 2 oF "True Detective" so it may just have lots of shots of roads from space?

12 hours ago, RumHam said:

Didn't the ship also get trashed in the last one? 

It was severely damaged but wasn't destroyed and then crashed into the planetary surface. I suspect they will just rescue the ship (somehow) rather than build a new one, but that's just an example of how nothing in these films has weight, substance or consequene to them.

While I can agree the last Star Trek movie had plot consistency problems galore, It was still more entertaining than some of the drivel we have received in other Star Trek movies. I also absolutely adored the first JJ Abrams addition. I am looking forward to this one.

The only Trek movie I would rate as inferior to Into Darkness is The Final Frontier, and to be frank it's a close-run thing. None of the films, even Nemesis, Insurrection or Generations are as badly-written, massively incoherent and poorly-characterised messes as that film turned out to be.

ST (2009) would still be in the lower tier for also being badly-written and incoherent, but Abrams at least paid more attention to characterisation and assembled an excellent cast with a really promising 1960s-meets-iPhone-generation design aesthetic which felt interesting.

Archived