Star Trek: Beyond the 1st Trailer

JGP

23 hours ago, Howdyphillip said:

Star Trek the motion picture was among the biggest disappointments of my life in the theatre and it was precisely because there was absolutely no action. It was remedied in a hurry with The Wrath of Khan, still to this day far and away the best Star Trek film ever made and one of my all time favorite movies. 

While I can agree the last Star Trek movie had plot consistency problems galore, It was still more entertaining than some of the drivel we have received in other Star Trek movies. I also absolutely adored the first JJ Abrams addition. I am looking forward to this one.

Bruh! It's like I don't even know you. 'Wrath of Khan' is to 'Star Wars' as 'The Motion Picture' is to 'Empire Strikes Back'.

If my Dad's visiting or I'm visiting him I'll probably go and see it. I think he likes trek in whatever guise having watched it since it originally aired. He was the envy of his friends getting to watch it on a colour TV back in the day. Guess it meant he could appreciate red coats.

On May 22, 2016 at 4:56 AM, red snow said:

Sometimes that's the best solution.

I agree that proudly proclaiming the director of "Fast and Furious" says a lot about the crowd they are going for. I've mindlessly enjoyed some of the F&F films but it's a shame that's what my expectations for this trek film is. Let's not forget he directed season 2 oF "True Detective" so it may just have lots of shots of roads from space?

Because people really liked season 2 of True Detective?

11 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Because people really liked season 2 of True Detective?

That's what I was getting at. They mention the commercially successful (even if it seems to be appealing to the wrong crowd) and don't touch with a barge pole the most recent thing he's done. Not that the problem with Season 2 was solely (or even partially) the director's fault.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

I resent being referred to as 'the wrong crowd'.

No offense meant - see Ser Scott's take.

It is the wrong crowd in terms of traditional trek audiences though. Much like how having Woody Allen or David Lynch direct the next "fast and Furious" would draw the wrong crowd to that franchise.

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

How about "not the traditional crowd of Trek fans"?

1 hour ago, red snow said:

No offense meant - see Ser Scott's take.

It is the wrong crowd in terms of traditional trek audiences though. Much like how having Woody Allen or David Lynch direct the next "fast and Furious" would draw the wrong crowd to that franchise.

Fair enough really. I do feel for the old-school Trek fans having their franchise fucked with, but it didn't start with Lin and I don't think he's gonna take it any further in that direction than Abrams did. And like I say, with Pegg on script, it could come back a little towards what the TV shows were- we know Pegg certainly intended that to start.

And hey, Universal once conceived (I'm not sure why since they have F&F already) of adapting a certain book into an F&F-like franchise-starter and ended up giving it to Nicholas Winding Refn. And it was awesome. Albeit not a franchise starter.

So I guess I'd be okay with that. :P

20 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Fair enough really. I do feel for the old-school Trek fans having their franchise fucked with, but it didn't start with Lin and I don't think he's gonna take it any further in that direction than Abrams did. And like I say, with Pegg on script, it could come back a little towards what the TV shows were- we know Pegg certainly intended that to start.

And hey, Universal once conceived (I'm not sure why since they have F&F already) of adapting a certain book into an F&F-like franchise-starter and ended up giving it to Nicholas Winding Refn. And it was awesome. Albeit not a franchise starter.

So I guess I'd be okay with that. :P

I can also see why they took it in the direction they did given the way the Trek franchise was failing on the big and small screen. It definitely required a new take or shelving. It'd be nice if the new show and films give both groups what they want.

I'm sure the producers will be ecstatic if Lin can do for Trek what he did for the fast and furious series. For the franchise to seriously take off they'd need the Rock in Trek4 :)

On 21/05/2016 at 8:55 PM, GrimTuesday said:

The folks making these movies are aware that what most people liked about the TV show wasn't the action, but rather the compelling plots and interesting characters... right? Because what I see is a bunch of action, a plot about as deep as a puddle and a bunch of pretty one dimensional archetypes that probably haven't grown one iota since the end of the first movie. Probably gonna give this one a miss as well.

Isn't is Captain Kirk, Spock, Bones and sometimes Scotty getting stranded on a planet with 1 or 2 random red shirts who always die, and then they get off the planet and all is well again? Trailer seems mostly like half of the Star Trek Episodes I remember, though this time with a motorbike and Uhura being on the away team. I always thought depth and complexity came with TNG.

But I do think we need to get past angsty Kirk, which by the look of the trailer we will be getting more of.

And we have Admiral Shaala'Raan from the Quarian Fleet doing voice over.

40 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Isn't is Captain Kirk, Spock, Bones and sometimes Scotty getting stranded on a planet with 1 or 2 random red shirts who always die, and then they get off the planet and all is well again? Trailer seems mostly like half of the Star Trek Episodes I remember, though this time with a motorbike and Uhura being on the away team. I always thought depth and complexity came with TNG.

But I do think we need to get past angsty Kirk, which by the look of the trailer we will be getting more of.

And we have Admiral Shaala'Raan from the Quarian Fleet doing voice over.

I mean, yeah, that does pretty much sum up a good portion of the original series, but that isn't the whole of Star Trek. Even in those early episodes, there were still questions about morality, what makes us human, and all that fun stuff, which is one of the things that I loved. TNG was just a little tiny bit more subtle at it (TOS had a habit of bashing the audience over the head with its philosophical musing). Sure, there were a good number of episodes that was just Kirk banging ailen chicks and punching the Gorn, but that was counter balanced by episodes that had a real point. These movies just feel like a lot of flash over substance.

Also, they haven't done Klingons at all (besides the pirates in Into Darkness, but that wasn't a Klingon in anything but name), so they can get bent.

17 hours ago, red snow said:

That's what I was getting at. They mention the commercially successful (even if it seems to be appealing to the wrong crowd) and don't touch with a barge pole the most recent thing he's done. Not that the problem with Season 2 was solely (or even partially) the director's fault.

Odd - I thought it was fairly widely accepted that Season 2 was woeful. I didn't know there were people out there defending it. As you said though, I don't think it was the direction that was the problem with that show. 

55 minutes ago, Aemon Stark said:

I expect that any problems with Trek Beyond will be in the writing (or studio-imposed writing really). 

Probably the studio. Simon Pegg is a massive geek so I'd expect him to turn in a very fun script. Not sure he was the original writer or he's a second drafter. It could be a question of whether he's polishing a turd or the whole thing is his.

Pegg isn't a massive Star Trek fan, as I believe he's said. He's really into Star Wars and I belive his Trek opinion/experience is like Abrams: there's bits of it he likes and respects, but he didn't grow up invested in it. This isn't necessarily a problem in itself - Nicholas Meyer seems to be regarded as one of the very best Trek writers and had zero previous knowledge of the franchise before working on it - but I think it certainly was an issue for Abrams.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Pegg isn't a massive Star Trek fan, as I believe he's said. He's really into Star Wars and I belive his Trek opinion/experience is like Abrams: there's bits of it he likes and respects, but he didn't grow up invested in it. This isn't necessarily a problem in itself - Nicholas Meyer seems to be regarded as one of the very best Trek writers and had zero previous knowledge of the franchise before working on it - but I think it certainly was an issue for Abrams.

Well they've been trying to make trek more like wars since JJ came along so it might still work. Given his feelings towards Episode I I'd hope he had  feel for fans of other franchises.

Archived