Star Trek: Beyond the 1st Trailer

JGP

The thing I hate is that the use of the transporter is so inconsistent.  The ancient, barely functioning Franklin transporters were able to grab Kirk and the lady with the Juggalo makeup of of mid-air after he jumped a motorcycle, but the hundreds (if not thousands) of state-of-the-art transporters on the space station couldn't beam the villain and the bio-weapon into space?  It wasn't like he was moving a lot during long stretches after they figured out where he was going.  They didn't even bother to come up with a convoluted reason why it wouldn't work. 

And boy did it come in handy that Keenser can now sneeze Alien Xenomorph acid.

All that said, it was the more Trek-like of the JJTrek movies.  The loose structure of the crew (and the ship) breaking apart and all having a piece of the puzzle and coming back together worked for me.  I just wish that the fanwank would have been left out.  There were far too many times that a line or a reference made me picture Simon Pegg with huge wink to the audience just out of frame. 

Probably the best of the nuTrek's, just ahead of the first. For some reason there were things that bugged me that were equally present in the previous two, but I forgave them more there: the aesthetic of the whole thing is just so, so far removed from all the TV series, and I think this is primarily why it doesn't feel like Trek. Maybe I went in having heard this was the most Trek like, so I was more aware of it. But a simple scene on a regularly looking bridge with some regular Starfleet commands getting passed around......it never feels like this. The technology present is so clearly further along than Voyager it's a little jarring. 

In a similar vain, they went a little far with just how awesome the tools at Elba's disposal were. I mean, the odd line that he had 'studied' the Enterprise aside, those bee things could have decimated the whole of the federation by themselves. They were impervious to fire, and can completely destroy a ship in seconds. Which made the 'beastie boys immediately blows them up' bit all the more silly.

And it's a real shame he didn't have a point about the Federation. Us TV viewers have the Maquis and Section 31, where the Federation's perfection has genuinely been questioned.....he was basically just pissed off they abandoned him so therefore they should all die.

9 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

those bee things could have decimated the whole of the federation by themselves. They were impervious to fire, and can completely destroy a ship in seconds.

I don't think they were impervious, just that shooting down a few hundred of them didn't impair the swarm's effectiveness.

33 minutes ago, felice said:

I don't think they were impervious, just that shooting down a few hundred of them didn't impair the swarm's effectiveness.

Traditional Trek combat tends to be between large starships (or occasionally small powerful starships like the Defiant) so it does make some sense that the swarm could be effective against them because it's not the sort of threat the Enterprise is used to facing. A Battlestar Galactica-style carrier ship would be much better suited for fighting the swarm than any of the Trek ships.

1 minute ago, williamjm said:

Traditional Trek combat tends to be between large starships (or occasionally small powerful starships like the Defiant) so it does make some sense that the swarm could be effective against them because it's not the sort of threat the Enterprise is used to facing. A Battlestar Galactica-style carrier ship would be much better suited for fighting the swarm than any of the Trek ships.

Also, the Federation Fleet seems to rely entirely on shields for defense, all its weapons are offensive, with no point defenses against missiles or fighters.    Since the swarm appear to be able to either easily overwhelm the shields or simply ignore them, the federation ships are basically defenseless against the swarm attack.

3 hours ago, Leofric said:

Also, the Federation Fleet seems to rely entirely on shields for defense, all its weapons are offensive, with no point defenses against missiles or fighters.    Since the swarm appear to be able to either easily overwhelm the shields or simply ignore them, the federation ships are basically defenseless against the swarm attack.

The JJ verse has shown that Federation ships have point defense weapons. In the first Trek, both the Kelvin and the Enterprise destroyed numerous torpedoes. They could do the same here. Imo, it's just numbers that gives the swarm the advantage. And considering how quickly the good guys were able to exploit its weakness, the swarm doesn't seem, in the end, quite as formidable. The Federation could quickly adapt. Also, the swarm only attacked the main docking door of Yorktown. Why didn't it attack everywhere? Short of saying it was just bad writing, one could assume that a sufficiently strong energy shield could stop the swarm.

• 1 year later...
5 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Quentin Tarantino helping develop new Star Trek movie.

Huh. Could be interesting. I wish they'd just go back to the prime/Discovery universe though. 

Yes, I could envision it already - DS9 (or space station in the Kirk period) in the JJ verse, with a massive space battle & station shootout between Federation, Klingons, and Romulans, where at least 90% of the parties involved get wiped out.

10 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Quentin Tarantino helping develop new Star Trek movie.

Huh. Could be interesting. I wish they'd just go back to the prime/Discovery universe though. 

If Tarantino is involved I think they should stay away from the prime universe until he's done with Trek. Don't get me wrong - I'd love to see Tarantino direct a Trek Film but I'd want it to be separate from the canon as I can't really see how his vision wouldn't have an irreversible affect on the franchise. I mean we'd need lots of swearing and violence, surely? Although given how he plays with narrative structure it could be intriguing to see how that would play out with actual time travel.

I've seen plenty of people mention that Tarantino loves Yesterday's Enterprise, and thinks it should've been a movie. OK ..... but it wasn't. So what would it be, JJ cast going through the same plot? Just seems to me like, too late, it was an episode, move on.

Quentin Tarantino’s ‘Star Trek’ Will Be R-Rated: ‘The Revenant’s Mark L. Smith Frontrunner Scribe

EXCLUSIVE: After Deadline this week revealed that Quentin Tarantino pitched a Star Trek film to JJ Abrams and Paramount, the whole thing is moving at warp speed. Tarantino met for hours in a writers room with Mark L. Smith, Lindsey Beer, Drew Pearce and Megan Amram. They kicked around ideas and one of them will get the job. I’m hearing the frontrunner is Smith, who wrote The Revenant. The film will most certainly go where no Star Trek has gone before: Tarantino has required it to be R rated, and Paramount and Abrams agreed to that condition.

On 12/5/2017 at 7:20 PM, Martini Sigil said:

I love Star Trek.... i love Quentin Tarrantino... for the life of me I can't picture the two together.... it's like putting marshmallow on a Filet Mignon...

Me too, except I can imagine it. The writer Peter David has written novels that I can only describe as Star Trek meets Tarrantino. Non-linear plot-lines, subversive humor, colorful language (for Trek, at least) and excessive blood, violence, and gore.

It would be awesome if Tarrantino hired David as a consultant or additional writer.

Otherwise...picture this:

"I've had it with these mother fuckin' tribbles on this mother fuckin' space ship!!!"

23 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Wait? There was Trek after Nemesis?

I know not this Nemesis of which you speak unless you are referring to Rick Berman.

The last Trek movie I remember was called Galaxyquest.

27 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

"I've had it with these mother fuckin' tribbles on this mother fuckin' space ship!!!"

Shit, I forgot about him. SLJ has been in quite a few of Tarantino's movies. But hey, he was in Star Wars, too, so there may be a role for him in Trek.

Archived