Star Trek: Beyond the 1st Trailer

JGP

1 minute ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Finally caught it. I enjoyed it better than the previous two, but it still really didn't "feel" like Trek. I was put off by a sweeping close up of the Enterprise and it seemed.like the saucer section was only a couple levels high...and it was all windows too...this Enterprise was just never right...

There were stabs to tie this Kelvin Universe more into established canon, but it's just never felt right...

The rumors of the 4th movie being a way to tie back into the Prime Universe..and let's hope it works...

That sounds interesting.  I would love for it to reconnect with the Prime Universe.  

Liked this one a lot, definitely more than the second film. The pacing was good, the effects somptuous as expected, the chemistery between characters reinforced, and Keylah was a nice addition, a cool character in her own right that didn't overshadow the rest of the cast.

My two complaints is that it is somewhat formulaic, and that the villain's motivations were underdevelopped. But I feel Justin Lin is better at doing justice to the series than Abrams, so I hope he continues doing Star Trek films myself.

Oh. Hey. But if the Kelvin Universe gets folded back into the Prime One (thus the rumors of Kirk's dad), does all the unbelievable technology of the far superiorly advanced Kelvin Universe come with?  That wasn't a space station, the Yorktown, as much as it was a small planet...

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Oh. Hey. But if the Kelvin Universe gets folded back into the Prime One (thus the rumors of Kirk's dad), does all the unbelievable technology of the far superiorly advanced Kelvin Universe come with?  That wasn't a space station, the Yorktown, as much as it was a small planet...

To be fair, the superior tech existed even before the timeline changed. Unless the Kelvin itself was designed as a warship, it handled itself fairly well against a vastly superior foe. It had, what, 40 shuttles. So the ship was already designed in a "superior" manner. Really, imo, there are two separate things here: the Kelvin timeline and the JJ verse. The Kelvin timeline simply has to do with characters and historical events (the destruction of Vulcan for example). The JJ verse encompasses this and on top of that includes all the technological marvels we have seen. Why? Because JJ wanted it that way, and anybody trying to explain the technological differences by saying it's a difference timeline is just fooling themselves.

Plus, it's not like a modern filmmaker who likes to do sci-fi stuff will want everything to look on film as it did 30-40 years ago.

I do feel it is possible to do modern takes on older material, shine them if you will, and still have it give off that sense of where it's coming from.  

In any case, just more evidence of how JJ screwed the Trek pooch...

The new Enterprise isn't great: poor design and it is ludicrously, ludicrously oversized. Far too big a ship but it never feels that big as they run around it in seconds flat. I was hoping that its destruction would pave the way for a better design, but no, mostly the same except for a few go-faster stripes on it.

23 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

it is kinda pointless in a way. It feels like a collection of tired story tropes that could be applied to any franchise and have them be transplanted onto Star Trek.

Not only did it lack any sort of spark or something bordering on original or imaginative to keep me hooked but it felt like almost every sci fi movie I'd ever watched. I'm fine with never watching another movie about a bad guy who's getting revenge about some past wrong and who has a world beating mcguffin to do it.

While I did enjoy it... I do definitely agree all the same. Beyond was something like a more enjoyable Insurrection, complete with the random underpopulated planet and under-motivated villain. 

These movies have almost no appreciation for detail, be it plot, character, or world-building. Everything is painted with so broad a brush that we get very little sense of, well, anything. This movie did try to focus more on the character relationships, but somehow seemed pretty pat - especially the stuff about Kirk's birthday. Once again, a theme from Star Trek II has been reused, less effectively, and once again none of it feels earned. 

12 hours ago, Aemon Stark said:

While I did enjoy it... I do definitely agree all the same. Beyond was something like a more enjoyable Insurrection, complete with the random underpopulated planet and under-motivated villain. 

These movies have almost no appreciation for detail, be it plot, character, or world-building. Everything is painted with so broad a brush that we get very little sense of, well, anything. This movie did try to focus more on the character relationships, but somehow seemed pretty pat - especially the stuff about Kirk's birthday. Once again, a theme from Star Trek II has been reused, less effectively, and once again none of it feels earned. 

I do at least feel like the previous 2 movies were trying to do 'something'.. and were a strange but almost admirable attempt to redfine what a reboot is. Its interesting that Xmen have done something similar, creating alternate universes etc. The first Star Trek reboot movie I thought was flawed but had genuinely attempted to create its own aesthetic and merge slightly with the old movies. The second movie continued on in similar fashion, and seemed to be trying to build on what the first movie was doing. KHAAAN was disasterous and was the moment that destroyed everything for me, but up till that point I think I was on board with what they were doing.

Beyond.. I dunno, at first I respected its attempts to try and make it more 'Trek like' (btw is it just me or is Chris Pine now doing quite a decent Shatner impression??). The interactions between Kirk and Bones were ok and the opening sequence was fun. But it all fell apart for me after that. The rest of the movie didn't feel Star Trekky at all, in fact parts of it were exact rip off of Guardians of the Galaxy. It was all very bland and generic and as I said previously, like a cookie cutter story that has been rebranded Star Trek. 

I don't think actually this movie did try very hard to focus on relationships, even if it did try, it basically failed. Spock relationship with anyone was utterly empty, Kirk, his gf .. Bones.. there was nothing there. Scotty was basically in his own show ( wonder if Pegg upped his own role ) Kirk really didn't have much of a connection with anyone. 

I actually think this is the worst of the reboot 3. I have no grudge against JJ like most either. It is very reminisent of the worst of the Next Gen movies, even the motor cycle making an appearance. 

It did seem to be pretty topical though, with everything going on in the US & UK. Tis a pity Idris Elba was hidden behind that mask, but I did appreciate the message that this film was trying to put out. 

Well at least there was no dune buggy shot with a weird lens filter. 

I thought the inclusion of the cast photo from Star Trek VI was an odd choice. Was it for nostalgia? If so, it mainly served the break the fourth wall of the reboot movies in the most awkward way possible. It also reminded me of what a great movie VI is...

34 minutes ago, Aemon Stark said:

I thought the inclusion of the cast photo from Star Trek VI was an odd choice. Was it for nostalgia? If so, it mainly served the break the fourth wall of the reboot movies in the most awkward way possible. It also reminded me of what a great movie VI is...

Old Spock's death had Young Spock wondering about his place and what Old Spock would have done, and he considered leaving the Enterprise until he saw Old Spock's photo of himself with his crew and realised that was his family and he would have stayed with them too. Made sense.

10 hours ago, Aemon Stark said:

Well at least there was no dune buggy shot with a weird lens filter. 

especially because he must have looked at it and thought "who are these other people". Because spock's the strongest casting in terms of looking like the originals. I don't know how the divergent time point would have ever caused the environmental and genetic changes resulting in the two Scotty's. So it's largely there as a shout out to the viewer and relies on us assuming nuSpock can recognise the older versions of alt reality versions of his crew. Sometimes you just have to switch off.

19 hours ago, Raja said:

It did seem to be pretty topical though, with everything going on in the US & UK. Tis a pity Idris Elba was hidden behind that mask, but I did appreciate the message that this film was trying to put out. 

Yeah, they probably wish they could have fully took advantage of that co-incidence. I hope the show (depending on when it's set) has a similar storyline of a race leaving the federation (ideally humans)

38 minutes ago, red snow said:

Yeah, they probably wish they could have fully took advantage of that co-incidence. I hope the show (depending on when it's set) has a similar storyline of a race leaving the federation (ideally humans)

I'm not sure how much of a coincidence it was - either ways, I like Matt Singer's take on Star Trek over at screen crush: 
Why 'Star Trek Beyond' is the perfect anti trump, anti brexit blockbuster

38 minutes ago, Raja said:

I'm not sure how much of a coincidence it was - either ways, I like Matt Singer's take on Star Trek over at screen crush: 
Why 'Star Trek Beyond' is the perfect anti trump, anti brexit blockbuster

It's too early to call on Trump but the bad guys should have won if it was being a full on metaphor of brexit. Or at ;east ended as part one of a trilogy where the second film is about another set of "villains" not leaving the federation.

It's from Star Trek V and yes, it's a bit odd because clearly these actors aren't the young versions of the older ones (John Cho is several years older now than George Takei was in The Wrath of Khan, for example).

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

It's from Star Trek V and yes, it's a bit odd because clearly these actors aren't the young versions of the older ones (John Cho is several years older now than George Takei was in The Wrath of Khan, for example).

21 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Seriously?!!?

:stunned: 

Ha, I was thinking the same thing. He may be older, but he sure don't look it. None of the actors do. So for me, seeing that picture didn't have a negative effect.

That movie may have been the best of the travesties the new Star Trek movies are, but it wasn't very good.

I predicted the great plot twist the moment all the pieces had been introduced (the guy having intel on the Federation, the Federation wreck on the planet, and the weirdo immortality technology).

Aside from that, this whole thing rips continuity to pieces:

- Evil Federation Guy is said to have been the captain of the first Warp 4 ship but we later learn said guy lived to fight through the Xindi crisis as well as the Romulan War, making it clear that he disappeared only in post-Archer days.

- Archer's Enterprise was the first Warp 5 ship of Starfleet which already existed before the Federation was even founded after the Romulan War.

- All of that means it makes no sense that Evil Federation Guy would have commanded the first Warp 4 ship of the fleet.

- The scenario may have made sense if Evil Federation Guy had been some dude disappearing before the Archer days, subsequently blaming Earth for going the wrong way with this whole coalition thing.

But then, the general premise of this villain was just nearly as unbelievable as Evil/Stupid Romulan Miner. If the guy was a soldier at heart he knew that people can be expendable. If some ship disappears and you don't know exactly where it went you don't spend a lot of valuable resources trying to find it.

Are we to believe that people are like casks you pour liquid frustration into until they cannot hold it any longer and go into all-out revenge mode?

I mean, that guy eventually realized the Federation was still out there. Why the hell didn't he contact his peers at that point? No sane person would ever even consider murdering millions of people over such trivial a philosophical difference as he had with Federation policy there.

Other crappy point:

The good guys free the crew with a handful of people yet the weirdo ships of Evil Federation Guy seem to be all manned (if those the good guys high-jack repeatedly are any indication). If that's the case then Evil Federation Guy must have either millions or at least hundreds of thousands of pilots for his weirdo fleet. Where the hell are all those people when the good guys free the crew?

Archived