There's no "J" in the Pink Letter.

Braavosi Lemons

I did a quick search and couldn't find anyone else talking about this, and it probably means nothing, but the letter "J" is shockingly absent in the pink letter. You can check, it's just not in there. Every other letter is there, with the exception of "Z" which I think is excusable (Z's a stupid letter anyway). But the author, whoever they might be, doesn't include a single "J". Whats more, they seem to go out of there way to avoid using J's, choosing to address the letter "Bastard" instead of "Jon". While this could all easily be a coincidence I choose to believe that it's the key to solving this pink letter mystery. Thoughts? 

16 minutes ago, Aegonzo The Great said:

Huh? How does this solve anything?

Well, the letter is sent to Jon, "Jon" without "J" is "on". The letter claims to be from Ramsey Bolton. Bolton, "On", it's Georges subtle way of confirming the Bolt-On theory. 

Serious answer: It almost definitely doesn't mean anything but I thought it was interesting and maybe worth sharing. 

1 hour ago, Cayrouse said:

We really need the winds of winter to come out soon.

Even worse, the addition of season 6 of the show, will fuel the flames of the crackpot makers even more... We really need the novel asap

3 hours ago, Braavosi Lemons said:

Well, the letter is sent to Jon, "Jon" without "J" is "on". The letter claims to be from Ramsey Bolton. Bolton, "On", it's Georges subtle way of confirming the Bolt-On theory. 

Ah, I see. With such irrefutable logic, I'm only left to conclude you cracked the code.

Well done!

J is a late addition to the English language.

If you look at old books, you will see they use an I (for example, in the 1611 edition of the King James bible.) Printers on the continent started using J about a century before, when they developed italic fonts (originally, in handwriting, J had begun as an i with added flourish - just as they wrote a double s with a long s and a short s (for example 'congreſs' up to the time of the eleventh congress of the USA), they would write ii as ji, but pronounce it just the same.

Hence there are not that many words with j in them, and quite a few with a soft g rather than a j.

And there is no reason why a person who writes a letter has to use every letter of the alphabet. Jane Austen wrote hundreds, and in all her surviving manuscript there is not an x to be seen.

I'm having difficulty thinking of J words that would fit naturally into a letter like this, anyway. Except that it was addressed to Jon Snow, and in Westeros the J is in play (as we know from when Robert Baratheon sent Eddard the letter telling him Jon Arryn was dead).

Still, it is rather over-familiar if Jon is not a personal acquaintance.  A well educated writer would avoid solecisms like "Jon", and address the "Lord Commander of the Night's Watch" or "Lord Snow" instead.

I suppose the final flourish is allowable, as that is an adjective, not a form of address, but  it would be more correct to use "priestess" for Melisandre, "servants" for the spearwomen, and either "princess" for Shireen or "wife" for Selyse (as whether the letter acknowledges the titles of the false king or not, it should be consistent).

Also, it is sheer southron ignorance to call Mance Raydar's sister by law a princess or  Mance Raydar's son a prince, as wildling titles are not hereditary. Our writer seems aware that Mance cannot retain the title of King-beyond-the-Wall after bending the knee to another king, real or false. It puzzles me that his kith and kin are given titles when he is referred to by name.

And even if we suppose Mance and his family were awarded courtesy titles by the grace of his new ignorant Southron king when he bent the knee, the way this letter is worded, it sounds as if Mance had also surrendered the paternity of his first born, and the conjugal relationship of his dead wife (I can't guess which Selyse would find more objectionable). 

It is far more interesting to me that the letter never says 'Stannis' than that it never says 'Jon'.

ETA: You could make a game of it - rewrite the Pink Letter so it retains it's meaning, but has more J's. The winner is the one with the most J's.

7 hours ago, Walda said:

J is a late addition to the English language.

If you look at old books, you will see they use an I (for example, in the 1611 edition of the King James bible.) Printers on the continent started using J about a century before, when they developed italic fonts (originally, in handwriting, J had begun as an i with added flourish - just as they wrote a double s with a long s and a short s (for example 'congreſs' up to the time of the eleventh congress of the USA), they would write ii as ji, but pronounce it just the same.

Hence there are not that many words with j in them, and quite a few with a soft g rather than a j.

And there is no reason why a person who writes a letter has to use every letter of the alphabet. Jane Austen wrote hundreds, and in all her surviving manuscript there is not an x to be seen.

I'm having difficulty thinking of J words that would fit naturally into a letter like this, anyway. Except that it was addressed to Jon Snow, and in Westeros the J is in play (as we know from when Robert Baratheon sent Eddard the letter telling him Jon Arryn was dead).

Still, it is rather over-familiar if Jon is not a personal acquaintance.  A well educated writer would avoid solecisms like "Jon", and address the "Lord Commander of the Night's Watch" or "Lord Snow" instead.

I suppose the final flourish is allowable, as that is an adjective, not a form of address, but  it would be more correct to use "priestess" for Melisandre, "servants" for the spearwomen, and either "princess" for Shireen or "wife" for Selyse (as whether the letter acknowledges the titles of the false king or not, it should be consistent).

Also, it is sheer southron ignorance to call Mance Raydar's sister by law a princess or  Mance Raydar's son a prince, as wildling titles are not hereditary. Our writer seems aware that Mance cannot retain the title of King-beyond-the-Wall after bending the knee to another king, real or false. It puzzles me that his kith and kin are given titles when he is referred to by name.

And even if we suppose Mance and his family were awarded courtesy titles by the grace of his new ignorant Southron king when he bent the knee, the way this letter is worded, it sounds as if Mance had also surrendered the paternity of his first born, and the conjugal relationship of his dead wife (I can't guess which Selyse would find more objectionable). 

It is far more interesting to me that the letter never says 'Stannis' than that it never says 'Jon'.

ETA: You could make a game of it - rewrite the Pink Letter so it retains it's meaning, but has more J's. The winner is the one with the most J's.

I don't  have time to write out a whole letter but a few words that spring to mind that could work within the theme are jailed, justice, just, judged, jumped, jeopardy, jape, joined, jewel, injured, majesty, enjoy. Perhaps someone else can use the if they want to. 

I doubt it was more than coincidence, however I suppose there's a small possibility that it was an agreed upon omission to signal who sent it if any of those theories are true. I'd think that there are several letters that would stand out more if they were not used and less likely for anyone else to skip using themselves. 

11 hours ago, Aegonzo The Great said:

Ah, I see. With such irrefutable logic, I'm only left to conclude you cracked the code.

Well done!

LOL

2 hours ago, joluoto2 said:

This is proof that the author of the letter hates the letter J. 

Which is a clear hint that ramsay bolt-on was the author. After all he hates FArya (aka Jeyne Poole). He hates her so much that he doesn't use the letter J anymore in his writings.

Archived