Who is Oswell Kettleblack?

Pile-O-Starks

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 1:47 PM, Pile-O-Starks said:

In the appendix to AFFC and ADWD, Oswell Kettleblack is listed this way:

—OSWELL, a grizzled man-at-arms in Lord Petyr’s service, sometimes called KETTLEBLACK,

The only people who also get the "sometimes called" language are LSH (sometimes called Mother's Mercy) and Robert Arryn (sometimes called Sweetrobin). This, to me, is a pretty clear sign that his real name is not Kettleblack.

Kettleblack is a nickname.  The way Robb and Jon call each other "Snow" and "Stark".  The appendix is telling us when we see someone called "Kettleblack" that it specifically refers to Oswell and not his sons.

12 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Not really. OKettleblack is Jaqen who is Euron who is Daario who is Syrio who is Benjen who is Mance who is Rhaegar who is a secret Targ who is a secret Stark who is Varys who is Kindly man who is Lemore who is Jon Snow's mother who is Ashara’s baby daddy.

This get's old guys and is kinda rude to some of the newer people, i can see it with a Rhaegar is Mance thing but the Kettleblacks could very well be more than they seem

5 minutes ago, Daemon Blackfyre IV said:

This get's old guys and is kinda rude to some of the newer people, i can see it with a Rhaegar is Mance thing but the Kettleblacks could very well be more than they seem

What's been posted on this topic is very mild compared to some of the posts a few years back. It could be bare knuckles and blood, in a verbal sense.

4 hours ago, DarkSister1001 said:

Kettleblack is a nickname.  The way Robb and Jon call each other "Snow" and "Stark".  The appendix is telling us when we see someone called "Kettleblack" that it specifically refers to Oswell and not his sons.

Spot on. A new House that takes the name after the alias of the founder makes every bit of sense.

I am not fond of the 'Oswell is Whent' thing neither.

15 hours ago, King Merrett I Frey said:

Spot on. A new House that takes the name after the alias of the founder makes every bit of sense.

I am not fond of the 'Oswell is Whent' thing neither.

Thanks.  I'm not fond of that either.  I accept that Ned lied at Jon's parentage and the lie ate at him for the rest of his life.  But I have a hard time believing that anyone else from the KG survived that fight at the TOJ and Ned lied about that too.  Not to mention if Whent is alive he'd be honor bound to his king (either Robert, Joff, Jon, etc.) and not to LF. 

21 minutes ago, DarkSister1001 said:

Thanks.  I'm not fond of that either.  I accept that Ned lied at Jon's parentage and the lie ate at him for the rest of his life.  But I have a hard time believing that anyone else from the KG survived that fight at the TOJ and Ned lied about that too.  Not to mention if Whent is alive he'd be honor bound to his king (either Robert, Joff, Jon, etc.) and not to LF. 

Well reasoned.

I quite like the idea that the Kettle black brothers are described similarly to Robert. Robert had many bastards this we know, did he somehow sire three boys from A peasant girl during his younger years in the Vale? Is Oswell the brother or father of this girl? Did Littlefinger being who he is find that out, employ Oswell and pay for the boys' training and then send them to Kings Landing to spy & scheme and whatnot. We do know suspiciously little about them and it could tie them all in.

25 minutes ago, GoWesteros said:

I quite like the idea that the Kettle black brothers are described similarly to Robert. Robert had many bastards this we know, did he somehow sire three boys from A peasant girl during his younger years in the Vale? Is Oswell the brother or father of this girl? Did Littlefinger being who he is find that out, employ Oswell and pay for the boys' training and then send them to Kings Landing to spy & scheme and whatnot. We do know suspiciously little about them and it could tie them all in.

All valid questions, but you're wondering way too much. Robert was a womanizer, but he wasn't some octupus-like bastard sowing machine that operated all throughout Westeros. On the other hand, you have several shady characters like Varys that would certainly keep track of the Robastards.

8 minutes ago, King Merrett I Frey said:

All valid questions, but you're wondering way too much. Robert was a womanizer, but he wasn't some octupus-like bastard sowing machine that operated all throughout Westeros. On the other hand, you have several shady characters like Varys that would certainly keep track of the Robastards.

I'm not saying it's what I think will happen I'm just saying I quite like the idea. 

On 5/21/2016 at 4:47 PM, Pile-O-Starks said:

So who is he, really?

Oswell is one of the characters that take at face value. He is in service to Baelish and has been for a long time. He was in on the removal of Sansa from KL. Oswell also travels a lot. Oswell has three sons, Osfyd, Osney & Osmund Kettleblack.

The eastern sky was vague with the first hint of dawn when Sansa finally saw a ghostly shape in the darkness ahead; a trading galley, her sails furled, moving slowly on a single bank of oars. As they drew closer, she saw the ship's figurehead, a merman with a golden crown blowing on a great seashell horn. She heard a voice cry out, and the galley swung slowly about.

As they came alongside, the galley dropped a rope ladder over the rail. The rower shipped the oars and helped Sansa to her feet. "Up now. Go on, girl, I got you." Sansa thanked him for his kindness, but received no answer but a grunt. It was much easier going up the rope ladder than it had been coming down the cliff. The oarsman Oswell followed close behind her, while Ser Dontos remained in the boat. SoS Sansa V

She studied the old man's lined windburnt face, hook nose, white hair, and huge knuckly hands. There was something familiar about him, yet Sansa had to shake her head. "I don't. I never saw Oswell before I got into his boat, I'm certain."

Oswell grinned, showing a mouth of crooked teeth. "No, but m'lady might of met my three sons."

It was the "three sons," and that smile too. "Kettleblack!" Sansa's eyes went wide. "You're a Kettleblack!" SoS Sansa VI

The times grow ever more interesting, my sweet, and when the times are interesting you can never have too many swords. The Merling King's returned to Gulltown, and old Oswell had some tales to tell." FfC Alayne II

"Queen Cersei."

Penny shook her head. "She never … it was a man who came to us, in Pentos. Osmund. No, Oswald. Something like that. Oppo met with him, not me. Oppo made all of our arrangements. My brother always knew what to do, where we should go next."  DwD Tyrion VIIII

When she had left Petyr Baelish that morning he had been breaking his fast with old Oswell who had arrived last night from Gulltown on a lathered horse. She hoped they might still be talking, but Petyr's solar proved empty. WoW Alayne I

On 22.5.2016 at 4:33 PM, YOVMO said:

I believe that he is a faceless man and one of the secret servants that Arya sees. He is already connected to Braavos as he is the one who hires Penny and Oppo for Joffery's wedding when he is at the palace of the sealord. I believe he is one of the secret servants that Arya sees at the house of black and white. Now, whether he is wearing the face of a knight called Oswell Kettleblack or if it is something else I do not know.

I don't buy him being Whent. Your reasoning here is sound, but I just don't see how it would do anything for us. I think if any kg survived the ToJ it was probably Arthur Dayne because that plus the lemon tree issues would go to explain and connect a bunch of bits of plot which otherwise would seem impossible. If Whent is alive and posing as Kettleblack it would seem to make very little sense in terms of his motivation and really add nothing to the story.

if Athur Dayne was alive

1. How did he come from ToJ alive?

2. What did he do after ToJ? Meet his Dayne family? Travel?

3. Could Arthur Dayne be in league with Jon Con or had been?

4. What would Arthur Dayne think of Jaime Lannister?

On 23.5.2016 at 8:58 PM, aryagonnakill#2 said:

Perhaps the joke in the name has to do with Cersei, she talks angrily about Robert whoring and complains about his coarse black hair, and then go's around banging kettleblacks with coarse black hair.

Perhaps Cersei will birth another bastard but with black hair?!

15 hours ago, DarkSister1001 said:

Considering it's probable that the KG and Rhaegar were plotting against the King, I'd say their were loyal to Rhaegar and they would follow Jon.

But yeah, no reason to follow LF. :dunno:

13 hours ago, norwaywolf123 said:

if Athur Dayne was alive

1. How did he come from ToJ alive?

2. What did he do after ToJ? Meet his Dayne family? Travel?

3. Could Arthur Dayne be in league with Jon Con or had been?

4. What would Arthur Dayne think of Jaime Lannister?

Of course this is just guesses  land if AD is alive then I am sure I don't have everything pegged just right. That said, here are some guesses

dayne tells ned that lyanna is inside with the baby (babies) and, realizing Rhaegar is dead and that his loyalty is to keeping the prince safe.

he makes a deal with Ned and Howland Reed to take care of the children (if meera is twin of JS this could make sense). 

Where fid Dayne go? Well, bringing Dany to Dorne is one possibility. It would explain the lemon tree controversy. He could be with Jon Con. It would be interesting if Edric Dayne, after leaving the brotherhood and lady stone heart, brings Beric back to his ancestral homeland for burial in the storm lands and runs into his uncle somehow.

how would he react to Jamie? Impossible to say.  Does Jamie get to tell him everything that happened with the Mad King? Does Dayne know that Selmy became one of Robert's 7? Too many balls in the air for that one.

mind you, I don't want to argue any of these points are absolutely true, but I think they are at least reasonable scenarios 

1 hour ago, norwaywolf123 said:

follow an infant

King is king.  Age ain't nuttin but a number. 

6 hours ago, JCRB's Honeypot said:

Considering it's probable that the KG and Rhaegar were plotting against the King, I'd say their were loyal to Rhaegar and they would follow Jon.

But yeah, no reason to follow LF. :dunno:

I's think Jon too, but wanted to throw out all the possible allegiances.  Unless LF is secretly Rhaeger.

Archived