Ran

6 minutes ago, Tooms said:

It's more of a cost thing... Having those dogs on set is expensive. You need the trainer(s) as well as adhering to the laws surrounding the use of animals. Every time you see a Direwolf on screen, you know it's meaningful because of the effort required to film with the dogs.

Well it's that and 99% of the wolves purpose in the books has been the Stark's warging into the wolves, but not knowing it. Bran's the only one who consciously did it. So they kept it for him. For everyone else, it's kind of hard to show.

Anyone know what 3ER was showing Bran when it all went down at the end... What was the point of all that? Was it a young Ned being sent to the Vale? What was so important about that moment that 3ER had to show Bran? Or was it just that the 3ER knows what happened in the past, he knew Bran had to be there for it to go down? Argh!

38 minutes ago, Darkstream said:

No, the fact the the direwolves have a significant meaning in the books is not a debatable stance. Their meaning has already been thoroughly established in book canon.

Obviously they have a meaning man, geez, but how can you say that they play individualdly important roles? Strictly speaking they are mostly just used as a narrative device so that the Stark kids can experience things otherwise not possible. For instance Arya being able to see Westeros and to assumably be a vessel for Jon's soul. At the end of the day the show chose to cut most of the wolves(literally) so honestly, how important to the story are we talking here in terms of end game, etc.?

Edited by Fredwin
Autocorrect

And now we see that Bran when he "time travels" can change the past and future.  What power he has!!  And what will happen if he decides to change the past?  How delicious.   It's massive and unprecedented.  But the Three Eyed Raven did say that Bran can change the past if only it doesn't effect the present outcomes?

8 minutes ago, Dragon_Rider said:

Since you just saw the episode, it's already spoiled. What are you complaining about? You want no spoilers at all? Don't watch the show from the now on, as they're way ahead in most story arcs. And it's even more inane that you would bash them for revealing this in a segment called "Inside the Episode".  Not only do you watch the episode, you watch a discussion about it by the writers. Then you complain about spoilers...

I know what I've opted into, thanks. I just wish they didn't feel the need to volunteer privileged information that they're obviously privy to due to being responsible for adapting it to screen. I don't think something like that is an unreasonable request. They obviously don't care, which is unfortunate, that's all.

Edited by xi0

4 minutes ago, Tooms said:

Anyone know what 3ER was showing Bran when it all went down at the end... What was the point of all that? Was it a young Ned being sent to the Vale? What was so important about that moment that 3ER had to show Bran? Or was it just that the 3ER knows what happened in the past, he knew Bran had to be there for it to go down? Argh!

I'm asking myself exactly that. All I saw was what I believe Richard talking to Ned. Why that momment holds such fundamental role I have no idea.

8 minutes ago, Fredwin said:

Obviously they have a meaning man, geez, but how can you say that they play individualdly important roles? Strictly speaking they are mostly just used as a narrative device so that the Stark kids can experience things otherwise not possible. For instance Arya being able to see Westeros and to assumably be a vessel for Jon's soul. At the end of the day the show chose to cut most of the wolves(literally) so honestly, how important to the story are we talking here in terms of end game, etc.?

I fear, if you read the books and think that is all they are to the story, you've missed out on some of the most beautiful parts of the books.

Edited by Darkstream

3 minutes ago, Hodor&Bran said:

And now we see that Bran when he "time travels" can change the past and future.  What power he has!!  And what will happen if he decides to change the past?  How delicious.   It's massive and unprecedented.  But the Three Eyed Raven did say that Bran can change the past if only it doesn't effect the present outcomes?

This kind of worries me because it sets up potential deus ex machina shit later on. But we know Hodor was Hodor before Bran actually changed the past. So maybe even if he changes it, it is pre written, and is already manifesting itself.

1 minute ago, Dudu42 said:

I'm asking myself exactly that. All I saw was what I believe Richard talking to Ned. Why that momment holds such fundamental role I have no idea.

Interesting, the Inside the Episode vid does shed some light on it ... Apparently the 3ER was "uploading" a tonne of info into Bran but Bran couldn't yet understand it all

6 minutes ago, Tooms said:

I think it was just that the 3ER somehow knew the future, and knew that Bran needed to be near Hodor in the past so that he could be 'Hodor-ized.'

I also think we haven't seen the last of the 3ER either. I think somehow Bran will continue to see him through the Greensight somehow; whatever the Greensight version of a Force Ghost is.

3 minutes ago, xi0 said:

I know what I've opted into, thanks. I just wish they didn't feel the need to volunteer privileged information that they're obviously privy to due to being responsible for adapting it to screen. I don't think something like that is an unreasonable request. They obviously don't care, which is unfortunate, that's all.

I'm sorry, but I have to echo the sentiment of Dragon_Rider upthread.  First, you're watching a show that has progressed beyond the books.  And then you purposely watch a segment where the whole point is that the producers talk about how certain storylines came about.  And you're complaining about being spoiled?  I can't really fathom your rationale here.

3 minutes ago, lancerman said:

This kind of worries me because it sets up potential deus ex machina shit later on. But we know Hodor was Hodor before Bran actually changed the past. So maybe even if he changes it, it is pre written, and is already manifesting itself.

:lol: 

3 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Perhaps he will manage to show up before the children create the WW, which would explain why they decided to protect him. Cause either way...they are extinct now. 

1 minute ago, HokieStone said:

I'm sorry, but I have to echo the sentiment of Dragon_Rider upthread.  First, you're watching a show that has progressed beyond the books.  And then you purposely watch a segment where the whole point is that the producers talk about how certain storylines came about.  And you're complaining about being spoiled?  I can't really fathom your rationale here.

I didn't watch the segment, I read it here. My week isn't ruined or anything, I would just prefer if they avoided doing things like that. The curtain doesn't always have to be pulled back that far. 

I mean, GRRM shares enough of the blame for this situation in the first place, it isn't like I'm interested in bashing him or D&D.

59 minutes ago, Dudu42 said:

Hodor and Summer... damn

Except Hodor's death was meaningful, interesting and heartbreaking.

Summer's death was bullshit. I envisioned the surviving Direwolves munching Ramsey alive when invading Winterfell. Only Ghost remains and there's absolute no news about Nymeria since the first season (bet she's sharing the boat with Gendry right now)

Yes, that's what I pictured as well; intially Ghost, Shaggy and Summer. They better not kill off Ghost in the same fashion, cause...enough already. If they don't feel that they are important, just stop showing them.