[Poll] How would you rate episode 605?

Ran

How would you rate episode 605?  

610 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Killing Summer (the same applies to Shaggydog) is just a side-effect of CGI costs, I'm sure of it. This Season's episode 9 must have taken tens of millions of dollars, they need to reduce costs.

It's sad as fuck, though.

14 hours ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Hold the door. Hold the dang door! Crazy. I so did not see that coming. It was heart breaking on so many levels. Someone tell me it was actually Hodor keeping himself there & holding the door & not Bran forcing him to stay there & hold the door so I can feel a little better. 

Yes, I'm disturbed by this. Amazing scene, but the idea of Bran deliberately sacrificing Hodor... damn. 

Summer should've had a better death (or better still not died).

I cannot understand Sansa turning down the Vale armies, surely anyone with half a brain would pretend to forgive LF, use his support to take Winterfell and then get rid of him. On the other hand, her lying to Jon and the way she sort of let it slip that she considers herself the real Stark, not Jon, makes me think she'll keep LF on standby for her own purposes later on. Perhaps Sansa is using everyone at this stage. 

I like that Maisie is at last getting to play Arya again - actually I like that Maisie is getting to act again. 

PS. I have spent the better part of an hour reading through posts on here because I like to read other people's points of view, and there are a lot of posts because I don't get to see the show until a day or two after everyone else. Spending a third of that time reading 'ur a troll' 'no, ur a fanboy' is not fun, although I'm getting better at skipping those posts. 

On 5/23/2016 at 3:04 PM, Modesty Lannister said:

7/10 The highest score I gave this season.

Not enough can be said about direction and editing of this episode. Both shone during (c)drowning of Euron and during the last scene, of course. Beautifully built up drama.

Yeah, these were excellently shot and edited sequences.

Of course, then they ruined the effect of the crowning with the idiotic revelation that somehow Asha and her men managed to steal all the best ships of the Iron Born just like that and now Euron's guys will just build a huge new fleet in about two weeks or so.

Edited by David Selig

On 5/23/2016 at 4:49 PM, fabrik1980 said:

Question to everybody giving every episode 1s: Have any of you ever seen Birdemic: Shock and Terror? THAT is a 1. Yes, yes, opinions differ, yadda yadda. I guess in all your opinions production values are taken for granted and don't factor into ratings anymore.

Imagine The Godfather having shaky camera or bad audio throughout. Would it still be a 10/10 movie? In the same vein nothing deserves a 1/10 when it at least has good cinematography, sound, editing, etc. The production values alone make it a 5/10 by default. The writing and acting determines whether it's higher than that, but it shouldn't drop any lower.

Bottom line: You give it a 1/10, your opinion has no value to me. Go watch Birdemic or some Ed Wood movies if you want to know what "bad" means.

Do you feel the same about people who vote 10 for episodes like this one which are deeply flawed in terms of writing? Littlefinger's teleportation, Asha stealing all the good ships of the Iron Born as easily as taking candy from a baby, the terrible dialogue throughout, the showrunners completely forgetting that seasons ago they established that kinslaying is a huge taboo in Westeros, etc.? How can a 10 be justified when shows like The Wire are written way better in all aspects?

1 hour ago, David Selig said:

Yeah, these were excellently shot and edited sequences.

Of course, then they ruined the effect of the crowning with the idiotic revelation that somehow Asha and her men managed to steal all the best ships of the Iron Born just like that and now Euron's guys will just build a huge new fleet in about two weeks or so.

There are very good sequences in the series and the drowning with the Damphair ritual is very impressive but you have to tune out after Euron coughs up water. It's a shame the Ironborn story is very sloppy, it seems very unhinged: they have the location and the directing and then the writers went off with a half-baked script. It's difficult to grasp.

1 hour ago, David Selig said:

Do you feel the same about people who vote 10 for episodes like this one which are deeply flawed in terms of writing? Littlefinger's teleportation, Asha stealing all the good ships of the Iron Born as easily as taking candy from a baby, the terrible dialogue throughout, the showrunners completely forgetting that seasons ago they established that kinslaying is a huge taboo in Westeros, etc.? How can a 10 be justified when shows like The Wire are written way better in all aspects?

So you loved season 2 of The Wire?

8/10.

Overall, the episode was pretty good.

The Kingsmoot was the weakest part. Euron confesses that he killed his brother and everybody is like "well done, you should be our new King". He doesn't even have the dragon horn which would give him a good leverage when dealing with Dany. The Iron Fleet just doesn't seem enough to convince her to marry Euron. And the part with Theon and Yara stealing the whole fleet... Why in the world would the captains of the ships obey them when they were the ones who chose Euron as their King? Those scenes just make no sense at all.

I see a lot of comments about LF's teleportation and I think those critics are unfair as the scenes involving different characters in the same episode are not necessarily chronological. When LF departed the Vale, Sansa could've been on her way to the Wall. And even if we assume that LF had only 2 weeks to go from the Vale to the Wall, it is still theoretically possible for him to have done so. He had to cover ~120 miles/day on horse. If he and his retinue used multiple horses and didn't make camp anywhere, they could've made it. In the 13th century, Mongol messengers could easily cover distances like those.

I really liked the play and Arya's reaction (Maisie's acting was excellent). We can clearly see that she is not no one and probably never will. I think her story will start moving forward pretty soon.

The best parts of the episode were obviously the last 20 minutes. The part with the Children throwing grenades at the wights instead of trying to kill the Others using obsidian was pretty dumb, but the rest of the attack on the cave was just amazing. Summer's death seemed unnecessary, but a wolf's first instinct is to attack, not to run away. The whole Hold the Door thing was sad and heartbreaking, but well-done in every aspect. The show hasn't done something this good since the Red Wedding. I think this is going to be similar in the books too. About Bran's time-travel, I think that as long as it doesn't break the Novikov self-consistency principle, it won't make the story too complex. 

23 minutes ago, David Selig said:

Absolutely. It is actually my favourite season.

Well, YMMV. I thought season 4 was by far the best season and season 2 by far the worst. I understood the reason for the focus on the docks with the overall theme of the drug/$ flow throughout the season but found the Sabotka storylines pretty meh. 

But I digress, The Door's faults were not enough to spoil what I found to be one of the best hours of TV I've seen in awhile. Right up there with "Hardhome" and "Who Goes There", "Form and Void" from True Detective.

Edited by Trebla

For the people who give it 10s, you basically are saying it was a perfect episode with zero flaws. Even biases aside, I hope you realize practically no medium - book, show, movie, video game, art, etc. - is perfect. Flaws can be found in every single thing. From where my avatar comes from, people have said Super Mario Brothers 3 is a perfect game. Yet, even the creator himself has said he wishes he would have done things differently with it.

But back to the show, if you take your emotion out of it and look at it objectively, how can you possibly give it a 10? You essentially are saying that they perfected the episode and nothing could make it better. If you think that is perfection, I'd like to see how you respond to something that is actually perfect. Your heads might explode.

2 hours ago, David Selig said:

Sometimes you have scene that is a 3 and sometimes you have a scene that is a 12. Though I would agree it's not a ten. Are there bonus points for no Dorne?

Lets see, I gave it a 9 and that is being generous for me. Not because all the scenes were great, they were not as noted before, the Kingsmoot was not all that, and I don't drop Littlefinger off the cliff for teleporting, it is a magic world after all, it's probably a non book related spell. I did not find the scene with him and Sansa to be that great, not bad, but not great.

I thought the Jorah scene with Dany was really good,  he sold it well. And I think part of that scene was the two actors probably knowing they won't see each other for some time if ever, and they have worked together for 6 years and it came across. Emilia has always had chemistry with him.

It was really all about the White White Walker revelation, Bran, the Cave and Hold the door. I thought Bloodravens end could of been a little better but who knows he may appear in Brans mind from time to time. But that ending was a 12, and the episode was all about that ending. The episode focused a lot on leaving, moving forward, departure. Dany leaves Vaes Dothrak, Jon leaves the Wall, Jorah leaves Dany, Bran leaves the cave, Theon and Yara leave the Iron Islands. Is Theon to be yet another of Dany's Eunuch's (Oh didn't think about that did you?) In the books and the show we saw Martin spread his characters out, and now they look to be starting to contract.

I consider no Dorne a bonus.

Still wondering what they will do with Arya, could be foreshadowing her killing Cersei as she looks to kill Fersei. Or she may spare her, who knows. But would like to see a little more direction there. Average scene and did not feel like it fit in with the rest of the Episode.

32 minutes ago, Ser Creighton said:

Still wondering what they will do with Arya, could be foreshadowing her killing Cersei as she looks to kill Fersei. Or she may spare her, who knows.

I hope so.  I've always considered her a top contingent as the Volanqar since she's often mistaken for a boy. 

Just now, DarkSister1001 said:

I hope so.  I've always considered her a top contingent as the Volanqar since she's often mistaken for a boy. 

I mean she is obviously an extremely important character, though I feel Sansa has a serious right to handle Cersei. It was strange, Doors was sort of a theme in this episode. Everyone was basically departing, Jon and Sansa left the Wall. Brie left for the Riverlands, Yara and Theon left the Iron Islands, Dany left Vaes Dothrak, and Jorah left Dany (good scene), Bran left the cave, everyone began a new journey for the most part. Except maybe Arya and Tyrion. Though Tyrion is probably leaving shortly once Dany returns (No more Meereen for the love of god). 

But Arya is still doing what she has been doing. She's young, she is a bad ass, and nobody really seems to feel she is all that Faceless, they even say it "You will never be one of us." But still kind of stuck there. Sansa and Jon had a great reunion, and you kind of figure Bran and Jon will have one, but Arya a Jon reunion is probably one of the most looked forward too and hoped for moments by many fans. I figure she will get moving but it's like come on already. Maybe next episode.

3 hours ago, David Selig said:

The Wire as an entire series was a 10 in my opinion. Not sure why that would keep individual episodes of any other series from being a 10. 

I am not critical of some things as I am cutting some slack to the writers. It seems to me that the writers, directors, and cast were all held up by the author not finishing the final book. Now that they appear to be free of that restriction they are tying up loose ends starting right away in episode 1. You can see that the choppiness is clearing up more in every episode this season. That and I will suspend logic a bit more for science fiction.

On 5/23/2016 at 10:13 PM, Foodini said:

I think sadly the direwolves just are too much hassle to film and had to be cut

I think Summer's death marks the arrival of winter and now that Bran is somewhat trained I think that it opens him up to warging all kinds of creatures to stay alive.  I still don't completely buy the shaggydog death yet.

36 minutes ago, DarkSister1001 said:

I think she'll start making plans but we won't see her return until next season. 

I just want to see her get moving, when she returns, she returns, or if she goes some place, she goes. Moving is good, she can arrive when she arrives, but Braavos is a little flat and colorless, and I need some moving.

13 minutes ago, Ser Creighton said:

I just want to see her get moving, when she returns, she returns, or if she goes some place, she goes. Moving is good, she can arrive when she arrives, but Braavos is a little flat and colorless, and I need some moving.

This might be all you get this season...:smoking: