(SPOILERS) Criticise Without Reprecussion - Rant & Tear apart

LulaMae Barnes

2 hours ago, RoamingRonin said:

Losing Hodor was sad but I laughed. It's just so absurd. All of that build up leads to this? It's almost as silly as the Martha Incident from Batman v Superman. 

I agree.  Am I the only one that is becoming more and more disappointed with how the series is wrapping up plotlines/mysteries?  Some of the fan theories would have made for better stories/resolutions than what is playing out in the series.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again.  I am having flashbacks to the series Lost.  It was so good in the beginning and I spent endless amounts of time trying to figure out mysteries and watching faithfully every season, even though it became more nonsensical and convoluted, because I was so excited to see how it all came together and what the end would be.  The end was utterly lame and disappointing.  I'm having deja vu with GoT.  

11 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

What I want to know is where did Sansa get all of her supplies from at Castle Black. They don't have a fabric mill and there isn't one close and she had a ton of material to work with.

And a ton of time. Do yo know how long it takes to make stuff like that by hand? Really long.

I assumed she was using old Nights Watch materials - cloaks, etc. of fallen brothers.  (I mean, in the books, they have enough extra to dress up straw men all over the place.)  But the timing is a huge issue, unless we're to believe that weeks have gone by since the previous episode.

14 hours ago, joaozinm said:

how did yara, theon and a dozen guys steal a fleet?  Its difficult to sail

Plus it looked like they only had a handful of people and stole like 20 ships. 

:rolleyes:

the he whitewalkers got to bran that fast after the vision  but can't get through a door? 

I was really upset when summer died so I can't say it wasn't a good episode. Some of the details were just wonky 

That Hodor scene would have been good if the setup wasn't so dumb. All that sacrifice just so he could hold the door for 2 minutes and Meera was left alone to drag Bran through the icy desert with the baddies about to come after her. Of course now they will be saved in some implausible way, but it still felt really silly.

Seems like the D&D has decided to turn kinslaying into the most badass and commendable act in Westeros, contradicting their own screenplays from the previous seasons.

Teleporting in this show gets ever more ridiculous. Batfnger, the Volantis priestess (why did she even appeared? Talk about a pointless boring scene...) And of course Varys already knows Stannis is dead. He probably received a text message on his mobile from his spies in Westeros.

Aiden Gillen seems like he really couldn't be bothered to even try to act half-decently anymore and is going through the motions. Of course, given how idiotic his lines are, prime Brando would have trouble making them work too.

4 minutes ago, David Selig said:

<snipping good stuff>

And of course Varys already knows Stannis is dead. He probably received a text message on his mobile from his spies in Westeros.

His little birds tweeted him.  (Sorry, I'll see myself out. :leaving: )

54 minutes ago, DebL66 said:

I agree.  Am I the only one that is becoming more and more disappointed with how the series is wrapping up plotlines/mysteries?  Some of the fan theories would have made for better stories/resolutions than what is playing out in the series.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again.  I am having flashbacks to the series Lost.  It was so good in the beginning and I spent endless amounts of time trying to figure out mysteries and watching faithfully every season, even though it became more nonsensical and convoluted, because I was so excited to see how it all came together and what the end would be.  The end was utterly lame and disappointing.  I'm having deja vu with GoT.  

Aaagh!! Me too! I was thinking the same thing!! Just like Lost!!! I LOVED the first 3 series of Lost and I loved the first 4 series of GOT (I've read 1.5 books recently after becoming disappointed with the show) And then it spiralled into the most awful garbage, but I kept watching because I couldn't let myself believe that they hadn't mapped out a plan to the end - but they really were winging it and they couldn't keep it up

This episode reminded me so much of Charlie drowning in the episode 'Through The Looking Glass' and holding up that piece of paper 'Not Pennys Boat' It was foreshadowed all season and it was a bit of a Hodor moment 

8 hours ago, WinterPool Stark said:

I really like this! Weren't there comments made about how the Mad King went mad and started hearing voices? Maybe 3EC (BR) was trying to tell him about plots/plans etc but did a crap job of it making him realise it's dangerous to do so?

I know there's the notion that the Targaryens "flip a coin" at birth and that they are either born mad or normal. But the thing about King Aerys II is that he was a rather decent king and didn't go mad until he began to "hear voices". He was also known for always muttering "burn them all". Maybe 3EC was trying to tell him how to defeat the wights?

It would also explain why 3EC might be so reluctant to have Bran try and influence the past. 

4 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

Yeah I just described it to someone as the telephone game (where you whisper something to someone, and they whisper it to someone else, and by the time it reaches the last person, it's not the same thing at all). Only it just took one pass with GRRM and the showrunners.

That's a pretty accurate description. It certainly explains why D&D's version butchers GRRM's story to such an extent. 

In the seven stages of grief, I've finally hit the stage of "acceptance."

Last night's episode was a hot mess, but I understand now that it's like watching the final seasons of Lost or True Blood. Something you once loved so much is veering away from what initially romanced you ..... and I have to accept. I've said it before, but I've developed Stockholm Syndrome over the last two seasons and simply can't take my eyes away form my abuser's adaptation of a beloved work. 

So under my new mantra of acceptance, there were parts I liked and didn't like last night.

King's Moot: Was anyone else really bummed out by the Kingsmoot "set"? Just standing around on some random cliff? Where was the awesome skeleton of a great sea creature? I turned to my Unsullied partner and said, "The Kingsmoot took up almost an entire book to resolve, I bet D&D does it in 5 minutes." Sadly, I was right. Euron is a total let down. Who would follow that pudgy man child anywhere but to the donut shop?

And no Dragon's Horn?  (Forgive me if I get any of the "lore" wrong, it's been two years since I read the books) 

Mereen: Oh yay, deaths are down in Mereen. St. Tyrion saved the day! Now let's bring in Melisandre 2.0 so we can get some Slaver's Bay boob in upcoming episodes. Side question: This was not the same priestess St. Tyrion saw preaching last season, correct? This is clearly a different actress. 

King's Landing: Praise the Seven there was no High sparrow monologues this week or Cersei dragging Jamie around the Red Keep by his balls. 

The Wall: Little to complain about here. I've accepted that Davos has conveniently forgotten about Shireen (until the storyline calls for him to remember) and that everyone is going to blindly follow Sansa's half baked plan. Need an extra army from the Vale? Nah, I'll pass. Makes great strategic sense.

Vas Dothrak: WTF? We lose Hodor and Sumer but Jorah gets another chance? How convenient. I loved the way Kelly C demanded that he cure himself. I wonder how well that speech would go over with someone diagnosed with cancer? "You are going to find a cure for yourself Steve. Go out and cure yourself right now. Come on lazy bones, get up and go cure yourself! Don't even try to talk to me until you've cured cancer. And then we can be friends." 

Bran and the White Walkers: I didn't hate the Hodor death scene. I actually thought it was touching, interesting, and played out well. I'll admit I got very misty eyed. I did not care for the way Summer and the CotF all went out like a bunch of chumps. Like others have mentioned, if Bloodraven knew the WW were on their way, why the one last round of "training" and a flashback to a unimportant Winterfell scene? Was that just to get Bran in the proximity of young Hodor? If the WW were on their way, was this really the best use of their limited "escape" time.

One last rant.... D&D has made all the death scenes of beloved characters so predictable that they lose their punch. Right before Barristan is taken out, he has a touching moment with Dany recalling Prince Rhagar's kind side. Princess Myrecella kicks the bucket right after her "I love you Daddy" speech. Shortly before Hodor holds the door, there is a laughing little bit where Meera and Hodor talk of blood sausage and bacon. I'm sure there are more examples from earlier seasons too ... I just don't understand the need for the heavy-handed foreshadowing and their need to juxtapoz a happy moment with a tragic moment. We don't need these little "walk down memory lane" to still be fully impacted by the death of a character. I find it a bit insulting. 

28 minutes ago, No One of Importance said:

I assumed she was using old Nights Watch materials - cloaks, etc. of fallen brothers.  (I mean, in the books, they have enough extra to dress up straw men all over the place.)  But the timing is a huge issue, unless we're to believe that weeks have gone by since the previous episode.

Lets try to make a chronology:

Since the battle of Winterfell:

-Mellisandre:

escaped Stannis's camp (somewhere still pretty far from Winterfell that Shireen's sacrifice was needed in order for Stannis to reach it) the morning of the battle day and reached Winterfell the day that Jon was stabbed. Jon's body was left on the courtyard during the night, then was kept by Davos during one day before the Wildlings came to the rescue. Add maybe another day before the resurrection, and at most another one before he decides to leave the Wall, at which time Sansa's arrive.

-Sansa:

went from Winterfell to Castle Black. Arrived at most one day after Jon's resurection, and so at most 4 days after Mellisandre. We can then assume she stayed a little to recover. Received the "pink letter".  Told Jon to gather the Wildling's army and to go South and save Rickon. Since Rickon is in danger, I suppose That they would hurry and go as quickly as possible. Received a message from Littlefinger to go to Mole's Town. Sewed a dress and a cloak.

-Littlefinger:

Someone sent word to him about Sansa's escape, wherever he was. He then traveled to Royce's lands, Royce called the Vale banners and they went North. LF then reached Mole's Town and sent a Message to Sansa.

-Ramsey:

Wins the battle and goes back to WF. Gives Myranda's body to the dogs. Kills his father. Receive Rickon as a gift. "Sends the Pink letter"?? Knowing Ramsey's nature, these events must be pretty close one to the other.

If we consider all this, Sansa's journey was at most 3 and a half days slower than Mellissandre's. Considering the supposed distance between Stannis's camp and Winterfell, this time sounds about right. She only went from Winterfell to Castle Black, while LF went from wherever to the Vale and then from the Vale all the way to the Wall. So she must have stayed a pretty long time at the Wall.

But at the same time, we have:

Davos that still doesn't know what happened to Shireen.

Jon, the guy that was hell bent in quitting the Wall, happy to stay there doing nothing, while his little brother is held prisoner by Ramsey.

So yeah, it's complicated. lol

1 hour ago, DebL66 said:

I used the Lost analogy last week! That is a great example of a show that I was emotionally invested in for 6 season before it completely went off the rails. I still get angry when I think about the Golden Shower cave and the ridiculous Alison Janey - Mother Mary storyline. I think this has actually helped me prepare for being disappointed by the GOT ending. I'm not being a pessimist ... just setting expectations. I hope they surprise me. 

How the fuck does Varys know before anyone in king's Landing that Stannis is dead? Hes a whole fucking conteniet away -__- Yes yes he has little birds but to know this before most people in Westeros do is beyond dumb. 

Why was this so hard to translate?

6 minutes ago, Daenerys_Is_Coming said:

I used the Lost analogy last week! That is a great example of a show that I was emotionally invested in for 6 season before it completely went off the rails. I still get angry when I think about the Golden Shower cave and the ridiculous Alison Janey - Mother Mary storyline. I think this has actually helped me prepare for being disappointed by the GOT ending. I'm not being a pessimist ... just setting expectations. I hope they surprise me. 

It seems HBO is slipping Vinyl is average, True detective season 2 was a critical failure, the last few seasons of both true blood and boardwalk suffered heavy declines and then theres this. Only difference between GoT and those other shows is that critics weren't blind. 

Where is Ghost?  Jon died and Ghost was there.  Jon undied and Ghost is not there.  No ghost at all when Sansa arrives.  Now Jon is leaving Castle Black with Sansa and without Ghost.  Has he been forgotten?  Did he get a new master off-screen and they forgot to tell us that story???  With all the other logic and time issues, I want Ghost back.  

Well I've been mostly forgiving about the show changes but this is just too much. The series changed from an adult series with notions of fantasy into a show of fantasy tropes.

The telephone game is accurate, though I think the real reasons are:

• GRRM didn't give the whole manuscript to D&D but just bullet points and they were left to fill in the blanks.
  • D&D have shown multiple times they aren't creative geniuses so most of their "own" ideas unfortunately end up flat on their face.
  • D&D have a particular depiction of Planetos and the characters that's at times close to GRRM but other times far off the mark. Every reader imagines the world of GRRM differently but I think most readers expected a shortened rendition of what GRRM wrote. Not a "shorter, abridged AND 'improved'" version.

And now to the episode: first off, I don't like the Hold the door explanation, but that seems to be GRRM's idea. It has both a tragic and comic side to it. It does break tropes though, I'll give him that.

What's up with the wolves? Were they just toys to be dissed at the most opportune moment? It's a waste of interesting minor characters, though I guess the story could've done without the wolves' intervention now we know almost all of their final fates. I hope Ghost gets a more prominent role but I reckon he'll just save Jon's life and die. That was it then...

The Kingsmoot doesn't make a lot of sense but perhaps we can shove it on a very very short version that is more logical for show watchers than bookreaders. They can't complain about what's missing so perhaps being verbally convincing is all it takes.

I don't like Arya's storyline and it seems D&D don't really know what to make of it either. She's spinning out of control, being noone isn't easy. I hope she'll do something spectacular like killing Cersei while she's watching Tommen die, that would be something.

And then my biggest letdown: the Others are evil incarnate AND a failed experiment gone horribly wrong. I was surprised because I couldn't imagine that it would be that simple. GRRM was fawning about grey characters and disliking the simplistic Orcs of JRR Tolkien. I imagined the Others as another race that we humans could not understand. And that humans were getting some sort of reflection moment when they would discover and communicate with the Others.

If they want to go this route it's best to kill them off and be done with it. I'd be disappointed again if they reveal that the Others are the new evolution of humanity and D&D having this smug face about it in the Inside GoT episodes. "You didn't expect that huh." Well, a bait and switch that isn't necessary at all.

8 minutes ago, lakin1013 said:

Where is Ghost?  Jon died and Ghost was there.  Jon undied and Ghost is not there.  No ghost at all when Sansa arrives.  Now Jon is leaving Castle Black with Sansa and without Ghost.  Has he been forgotten?  Did he get a new master off-screen and they forgot to tell us that story???  With all the other logic and time issues, I want Ghost back.  

Noooooo!  Don't say his name!  Don't call him!  As long as we don't see him, they can't kill him!!

16 minutes ago, lakin1013 said:

Gotta save all the money for Kelly C's precious dragons and Ramsay's big battle. 

Archived