(SPOILERS) Criticise Without Reprecussion - Rant & Tear apart

LulaMae Barnes

16 minutes ago, Icefear said:

But it's an unimportant detail because. None of those ladies lived in a place where winter could last ten years nor belonged to a noble house whose coat of arms is a giant wolf and whose motto is "Winter is coming". ASOIAF is inspired by the middle ages, but it's not a History book, it doesn't have to be exactly accurate.

I didn't feel the need to add "that's what servants are for" but maybe should have. George is a history buff and makes an overly-concerted effort to make ASOIAF accurate in such regards.The ladies of house stark would be unlikely to possess skills to make their own shoes, or anyone's winter coats.

17 hours ago, Narvi said:

Sansa has some wicked needle art skills for a rich girl.

The above person was correct to express this sentiment. Maybe you're confused by show Fansa. She could probably make coats, shoes, chain mail and heck, even forge axes and swords, and throw together a Frigate on a cold afternoon. She's been "empowered" by rape after all.

5 minutes ago, Low Sparrow said:

I didn't feel the need to add "that's what servants are for" but maybe should have. George is a history buff and makes an overly-concerted effort to make ASOIAF accurate in such regards.The ladies of house stark would be unlikely to possess skills to make their own shoes, or anyone's winter coats.

The above person was correct to express this sentiment. Maybe you're confused by show Fansa. She could probably make coats, shoes, chain mail and heck, even forge axes and swords, and throw together a Frigate on a cold afternoon. She's been "empowered" by rape after all.

And Loras taught Sansa the difference between a pin and brooch and the power of a good pair of fringed sleeves! ;)

5 minutes ago, Tony Inchpractice said:

So the big reveal about the White Walkers is dropped in a quick scene that seems written as an after thought. Well done, D&D you've done it again. 

Who knows?

Maybe they did this too to Summer. they forgot Summer to write in the script and they filmed the whole trip to the Wall ... and then they realized they forgot him. O no, wait, he can be killed. 

RIP My favorite furry darling :wub:. May you have splendid times in Wolf Heaven with a lot of deers to hunt! 

1 minute ago, Tijgy said:

Who knows?

Maybe they did this too to Summer. they forgot Summer to write in the script and they filmed the whole trip to the Wall ... and then they realized they forgot him. O no, wait, he can be killed. 

RIP My favorite furry darling :wub:. May you have splendid times in Wolf Heaven with a lot of deers to hunt! 

I doubt it. D&D clearly know what they're doing and are very thorough with their writing. ;)

12 minutes ago, Barış said:

Not sure how I feel about the idea that White Walkers were just men turned into monsters by the CotF. What made them scary was that they were alien and incomprehensible, and that they were in the service of an even more alien, primordial deity. If they were originally human, they are an existential threat only as much as the wights they command, or Stone Men for that matter.

I have two questions for you folks:

1. Is there any chance this whole idea is some sort of red herring? Is it possible that Leaf and Three-eyed Raven wanted Bran to think that White Walkers were human until they were turned by the CotF?

2. Assuming this is no red herring, do you think it is certain that the books will follow this idea? I'm asking because this seems a very major plotline for the show to easily diverge in an alternate direction.

I don't know if it'll be the same/similar in the books.  It's been one of the theories for a long time.  I'm not sure if it chimes with what we've been told.  GRRM said obsidian "shatters the spells" - so are Others even real or are they spells made manifest?  I know I need a damn sight more info than the show will probably ever tell me.

14 minutes ago, Tony Inchpractice said:

So the big reveal about the White Walkers is dropped in a quick scene that seems written as an after thought. Well done, D&D you've done it again. 

Yeah I thought that was really weird. Like no build up a all, just casually dropped into  scene:

"Oh cool, where is Bran now?"

"Look at this strange tree."

"oh btw WW were created by CotF kthxbi"

Bran: "Whats a WW?"

19 hours ago, LulaMae Barnes said:

My biggest fear before it even starts: now that the amazing teleporting Petyr Baelish is at Catle Black and since he seems to know EVERYTHING about Lyanna Stark & Rhaegar

he doesn't teleport. You see, Gendry is rowing around the world near light speed and under total cover of stealth. First he got the sand snakes to the port at Kings Landing and he has been getting Baelish all around. It was prophesized that a hero would come and row a boat.

I thought I'd put this here, too, where we might perhaps discuss it, to an extent: http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/23/game-thrones-brienne-tormund

(Apologies if the article is extraneous to the matter at hand, but it all ties back to the series, in the end, is it a contrivance, or was it intended, as part of the story...)

Christie also revealed that one Brienne-Tormund scene actually cut from the show: a moment showed Sansa “going Mean Girls” on Brienne and teasing her about Tormund’s interest, “and you had the powerful warrior who’s totally flustered.” We hope that one ends up as a deleted scene on the season 6 home release.

Truthfully, I'm rather confused as the situation holds. I still think they're telling a romance for Jaime and Brienne, there's no two ways about it, even as I might have dealt them a better card to begin with, had they shown a skilled enough hand for conjuring up the more subtle underpinnings of the narrative itself.

Still, it is rather odd that they nearly had Sansa bung the more frivolous matter of Tormund into Brienne, when she might as well broach the more glaring topic of Oathkeeper with her, then whence flows the rest...

TL;DR. Jaime is yet to be afforded a mention in Brienne's storyline, how fitting. Le sigh. Or, alternatively, D&D, and their disastrous attempts at good storytelling, especially of the more warming variety...

6 minutes ago, farm_ecology said:

Yeah I thought that was really weird. Like no build up a all, just casually dropped into  scene:

"Oh cool, where is Bran now?"

"Look at this strange tree."

"oh btw WW were created by CotF kthxbi"

Bran: "Whats a WW?"

To be honset (and hopeful), it might be the case that CoF were tricked into creating White Walkers by someone or something else. But given D&D's track record, I have little hope.

21 minutes ago, Barış said:

Not sure how I feel about the idea that White Walkers were just men turned into monsters by the CotF. What made them scary was that they were alien and incomprehensible, and that they were in the service of an even more alien, primordial deity. If they were originally human, they are an existential threat only as much as the wights they command, or Stone Men for that matter.

I have two questions for you folks:

1. Is there any chance this whole idea is some sort of red herring? Is it possible that Leaf and Three-eyed Raven wanted Bran to think that White Walkers were human until they were turned by the CotF?

2. Assuming this is no red herring, do you think it is certain that the books will follow this idea? I'm asking because this seems a very major plotline for the show to easily diverge in an alternate direction.

I don't see how Bran finding this out will work in the CotF's favour. Telling a human that they were responsible for this disaster and did so in an attempt to kill his species is hardly likely to win them any sympathy. Also you are probably overestimating D&D's writing ability in thinking they could invent a good red herring.

Actually, them trying to create a deception that actually means the opposite of what they think it does sounds very much like D&D. Perhaps next series when Bran finds the truth, he can point how stupid the writer's plot from the season before is.

1 hour ago, W1NT3RF3LL said:

Has anyone else noticed that the white walker that got killed last night is the same one who has been killed all the other times?  

I wasn't sure if this was sarcastic or not, so I decided to check.  I grabbed screenshots of each, but I can't seem to embed them here.  Anyway, they're not the same, though they all have long hair and beards.  Notable differences include the fact that the one Sam killed was blind in one eye (one blue eye, one dead-white eye), and the one that Jon killed had a hairline that had receded much further than the one Meera killed.

1 hour ago, Low Sparrow said:

Euron Two-Eyes seems a rather likeable chap, and despite their best efforts ... couldn't inspire dread or fear in anyone. The whole fleet sailing off after a democratic process of the ship captains electing Euron made zero sense, and as many have pointed out the Ironborn might find enough materials for maybe one boat.

He can inspire fear in a donut. Seriously who would follow this pudgy, no charisma man-child? 

46 minutes ago, Étoile du Soir said:

TL;DR. Jaime is yet to be afforded a mention in Brienne's storyline, how fitting. Le sigh. Or, alternatively, D&D, and their disastrous attempts at good storytelling, especially of the more warming variety...

The beautiful subtly of the "will they or won't they" Brienne/Jamie storyline happened three seasons ago. D&D can't think that far back. Now it's just one dimensional Brienne!Smash and Carol's handbag. 

19 hours ago, Ninerings said:

Euron looks like an idiot. It isn't even Euron. 

My biggest problem and this has outdone Ian Whyte as the Mountain for my biggest dissappointment casting-wise. Pilou Aesbek doesn't look intimidating at all and his speech was pathetic, it's like the only reason he was elected was because he had a cock. Euron looks like Alfie Allen after gorging on nothing but junk food for 3 weeks and his crown just adds to him looking like a clown.

19 hours ago, Bini Bini said:

Why did BR take Bran into a dream? To warg Hodor? If Bran was awake,  he could have warged into Hodor a little earlier and avoid that mess. 

I agree, there was nothing special about the particular dream. Seems like the time could have been better spent preparing. 

Archived