(SPOILERS) Criticise Without Reprecussion - Rant & Tear apart

LulaMae Barnes

1 hour ago, hexagone said:

I think the white walker that we've seen since season 1 or 2, the dude with the long white hair and beard looks so much more badass than this nights king.  They should've made his look the leader. 

I agree.  I feel the same way about the original drowned priest who I felt looked exactly what I'd expect Damphair to look like.

3 hours ago, hexagone said:

I think the white walker that we've seen since season 1 or 2, the dude with the long white hair and beard looks so much more badass than this nights king.  They should've made his look the leader. 

I agree. The walker who lead the wights at the end of season 2 looked more menacing and mystical. He only needed some armor and a tidier hairstyle. The Nights King appears younger than the other guys and look softer. Even the walker who keeps getting killed (by Jon and Meera atleast) looks more dangerous

On 5/23/2016 at 3:17 AM, MotherofStrife said:

Lol , build me a 1000 ships.... in the next  20 years I suppose. 

Cut to Season 8, episode 7 (assume 8 gets the extra episode):

Blah... blah... blah...

Dramatic conclusion...

Jon and Dany married...

Credits begin to roll...

Stinger scene sudden cut:  Euron and his ships finally approach the Shield islands.  They are ruined, deserted except for zombies.  Euron sighs and turns the ships around, heads back out to sea...

On 5/23/2016 at 0:58 AM, Smoke317 said:

But you've got to give Euron credit for his last line. He said I wasn't born to be king. I took my crown the iron way which fits in with their culture. You take what you want...

Except then he immediately says he's going to sail to Mereen to GIVE dany a 1000 ships in exchange for the 7 kingdoms...   He's absolutely not paying the iron price there.  He literally wnts to buy to the iron thrown with a fleet.    Just another great example of Character being thrown out the window. 

1 hour ago, ebourget said:

Except then he immediately says he's going to sail to Mereen to GIVE dany a 1000 ships in exchange for the 7 kingdoms...   He's absolutely not paying the iron price there.  He literally wnts to buy to the iron thrown with a fleet.    Just another great example of Character being thrown out the window. 

Good point. 

On 5/23/2016 at 9:14 PM, Lady Kitty Heartless said:

The Kingsmoot was ruined absolutely.

Hard to ruin something that was lame to begin with.  I can see GRRM sitting there thinking, "How can I drag this out further? I know, I'll add pirates and Vikings."  But somehow, they did.  This was embarrassing. Obviously the 2 seconds of "Summer" wiped out their budget this episode, so they couldn't afford more than a few extras and no chests of pirate booty.

SeventhReign

Could someone please tell me why kinslaying is suddenly okay in the show this season? It's practically a trend! Everyone's doing it these days! The Dornish, Ramsay, and now the Ironborn. They're even rewarded for it! Ramsay and Euron gained followers because they killed their fathers. Because what are taboos?

It wasn't too long ago that Stannis lost half his army because he kinslayed, yet suddenly everyone is okay with this. What is logic?!?

Yeah, this was down right stupid.  Oh I'm king now!  let's go openly murder my own family so they can't make a claim to my throne even though we all just democratically voted me in!

Honestly it's things like this that make me side with the White Walkers.  If you think about it, every single major house but the Starks has violated guest right and committed kinslaying.    Basically the two biggest rules the "gods" have set down.   So by all rights, all these houses should be "cursed" and who else can clean the slate but the gods themselves?  'The Others Take You!'   I look forward to the Others coming to exterminate all of these people.

On 5/23/2016 at 2:46 AM, SeventhReign said:

Even so, his death was illogical. They could have put Bran on Summer's back and escaped that way. If they were insistent on killing Summer, they should have made it make sense.

:laugh:  I thought this since season 1!!  Why doesn't the small cripple boy just ride the giant swift direwolf that he can fucking mind control!!  Why does he need hodor to drag him around everywhere when he has a giant four legged beast of a steed and tyrion should him how to make a cripple saddle??

I'd like to give a shout-out to Lord Syv Aldlark for echoing my own thoughts regarding the creation of the WWs.  No sense made...at all!  Goes against what we've read in the books and heard from the author, and gives no explanation for why NK is different from the rest of them (i.e. horns on his head), or what makes him so all-fired special.

Are the writers surfing the internet for fan theories and running with them? Cause if that's the case I've got some I'd nominate that are better than what they're doing.

I have to ask...no, really, I MUST...wouldn't Bran going back and skinchanging into a perfectly sound of mind Walder/Wylis, destroying his mind and making him monosyllabic for the rest of his life, create an alternate reality?  Because before Bran goes back we should have a fully functional, and possibly even talkative guy named Walder/Wylis hanging around the stables.  

Then of course there's the fact that Hodor is supposed to be in about his 40s while Ned is in his thirties, which means he cannot be as close in age to Ned as the show is purporting. If Ned were in fact around the same age (and I know someone else already mentioned this) as Hodor, then he and a boatload of other Winterfellians should know that Hodor used to talk, maybe--dare I suggest it--call him by his actual name, and such. And the author just conveniently never has ANY of them mention that "oh he used to talk but then had a fit or something and suddenly started saying Hodor all the time?"  You don't think a young Catelyn might have asked "what's with that big guy who says hodor all the time? what's a hodor?" and had the whole thing explained?  The kids know that Aunt Lyanna was kidnapped and brutalized, but no one has explained Hodor to them?  Come on!

Also, you're not supposed to be able to skinchange into a healthy human mind without a lot of trouble a la Varamyr's last stand.  The reason Bran can get inside Hodor's head is BECAUSE his mind is damaged already and he thus lacks the capacity to fight back at full strength. 

I fully accept that "Hold the door" and the weirnet/time travel play a part, but no way is the real explanation going to be as lame and defying of logic as this was. GRRM's magic has rules, limits, and at least makes a semblance of sense. Just like with Shireen's death, I have no doubt this is D&D's take on minimal information, and GRRM will do it differently and better!

Oh, and while I'm ranting...Bran is in a weirnet vision or dream when NK grabs him.  What?  That's incorporeal. There is no physical to it. So he couldn't physically grab hold of Bran.  Okay, let say that it's figurative and it indicated that NK is hacking into Bran's weirnet wi-fi. The enchantment existed long before Bran even got to the cave, so why should butting in to his space-time interface break the protective force-field?  

I don't have a problem with Bran knowing NK's title. Obviously Bran's been covertly using the weirnet to work in the Old Tongue for Dummies program and there's a runic name badge somewhere on NK's stylish ensemble that mentioned it. 

About Gilly's baby...clearly Bran messed that up too. He really needs to learn to leave things alone when he's scrolling through the weirnet archives.

I'm not entirely sure on this but didn't the Hardhome thing happen during daylight? Since when do the Others come out during the day? 

The only character who travels as far, as fast, as Littlefinger is NK. Coincidence? I think not. They favor the same styles of dress. Dark colors. Mandarin collars. Think about it.

Rant over...I think.

59 minutes ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

I'd like to give a shout-out to Lord Syv Aldlark for echoing my own thoughts regarding the creation of the WWs.  No sense made...at all!  Goes against what we've read in the books and heard from the author, and gives no explanation for why NK is different from the rest of them (i.e. horns on his head), or what makes him so all-fired special.

Are the writers surfing the internet for fan theories and running with them? Cause if that's the case I've got some I'd nominate that are better than what they're doing.

I have to ask...no, really, I MUST...wouldn't Bran going back and skinchanging into a perfectly sound of mind Walder/Wylis, destroying his mind and making him monosyllabic for the rest of his life, create an alternate reality?  Because before Bran goes back we should have a fully functional, and possibly even talkative guy named Walder/Wylis hanging around the stables.  

Then of course there's the fact that Hodor is supposed to be in about his 40s while Ned is in his thirties, which means he cannot be as close in age to Ned as the show is purporting. If Ned were in fact around the same age (and I know someone else already mentioned this) as Hodor, then he and a boatload of other Winterfellians should know that Hodor used to talk, maybe--dare I suggest it--call him by his actual name, and such. And the author just conveniently never has ANY of them mention that "oh he used to talk but then had a fit or something and suddenly started saying Hodor all the time?"  You don't think a young Catelyn might have asked "what's with that big guy who says hodor all the time? what's a hodor?" and had the whole thing explained?  The kids know that Aunt Lyanna was kidnapped and brutalized, but no one has explained Hodor to them?  Come on!

Also, you're not supposed to be able to skinchange into a healthy human mind without a lot of trouble a la Varamyr's last stand.  The reason Bran can get inside Hodor's head is BECAUSE his mind is damaged already and he thus lacks the capacity to fight back at full strength. 

I fully accept that "Hold the door" and the weirnet/time travel play a part, but no way is the real explanation going to be as lame and defying of logic as this was. GRRM's magic has rules, limits, and at least makes a semblance of sense. Just like with Shireen's death, I have no doubt this is D&D's take on minimal information, and GRRM will do it differently and better!

Oh, and while I'm ranting...Bran is in a weirnet vision or dream when NK grabs him.  What?  That's incorporeal. There is no physical to it. So he couldn't physically grab hold of Bran.  Okay, let say that it's figurative and it indicated that NK is hacking into Bran's weirnet wi-fi. The enchantment existed long before Bran even got to the cave, so why should butting in to his space-time interface break the protective force-field?  

I don't have a problem with Bran knowing NK's title. Obviously Bran's been covertly using the weirnet to work in the Old Tongue for Dummies program and there's a runic name badge somewhere on NK's stylish ensemble that mentioned it. 

About Gilly's baby...clearly Bran messed that up too. He really needs to learn to leave things alone when he's scrolling through the weirnet archives.

I'm not entirely sure on this but didn't the Hardhome thing happen during daylight? Since when do the Others come out during the day? 

The only character who travels as far, as fast, as Littlefinger is NK. Coincidence? I think not. They favor the same styles of dress. Dark colors. Mandarin collars. Think about it.

Rant over...I think.

Great rant. Loving seeing you here, Lady B :)

For a good discussion on the bolded section, I recommend taking a look at the Hold The Door thread. I think the idea is that there is no loop; that Bran affects the past from a future that was always going to happen. Bran cannot change the past but we might find things that happened in the past that Bran has affected somehow from a future that was always going to happen. If that makes sense?

31 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Great rant. Loving seeing you here, Lady B :)

For a good discussion on the bolded section, I recommend taking a look at the Hold The Door thread. I think the idea is that there is no loop; that Bran affects the past from a future that was always going to happen. Bran cannot change the past but we might find things that happened in the past that Bran has affected somehow from a future that was always going to happen. If that makes sense?

Thank you. :D

No, it doesn't. Well it does...but it doesn't.  If that future was always going to happen, then the whole thing is all predestined, and there's no point in any of the characters struggling against their fates.***  

And there has to be some kind of loop, because Wylis was fine before future Bran went back and messed him up. According to the show anyway. But yes, I'll check out that thread and see if someone can make it make sense.

***Which brings me to a startling conclusion...the disconnect between the show and the books is purely in how the narrative is driven. The books are character-driven, and the show is plot-driven. That's why they keep inserting things for the characters to react to, rather than actually having them grow and learn and change. Thus the show's plot is predestined in a way that goes beyond "GRRM said this is how it goes."  They'll force the story to conform to their ending, rather than finding a way to make all the subplots converge organically.  And THAT is why it takes so long between books. Knowing where the end is, and getting the characters to it in a way that's not forced or contrived (cough, show, cough) takes time. That's also why Jaime's redemption arc has disappeared on the show and they've put him back in the role of Cersei's lap dog. Hey, look at that! I wasn't done ranting after all. :)

Edited to add: Seriously? NK gives Bran the dark mark from Harry Potter?  I mean...SE-RI-OUS-LY?!  Does the guy have his own tattoo shop and cosmetic surgery clinic? Cause that at least would explain his appearance being so different from the rest of the WWs. *shaking my head so much I'm amazed the sphere isn't hurting*

I decided to count how many characters/storylines Ramsay's servicing and focus has tainted:

Sansa

Theon

Stannis

Davos

Jon

Northern lords mummer's farce

Asha and the reputation of the Ironborn 

Petyr Baelish

Brienne

Melisandre

osha, rickon and shaggy

Roose Bolton

Bronze Yohn Royce and the vale lords and knights

24 minutes ago, Ruhail said:

I decided to count how many characters/storylines Ramsay's servicing and focus has tainted:

Sansa

Theon

Stannis

Davos

Jon

Northern lords mummer's farce

Asha and the reputation of the Ironborn 

Petyr Baelish

Brienne

Melisandre

osha, rickon and shaggy

Roose Bolton

Bronze Yohn Royce and the vale lords and knights

Arya, too. They swapped Olly for Arya, that's part of this mess, too. Once they swapped in Sansa, they had to make adjustments...

Archived