(SPOILERS) Criticise Without Reprecussion - Rant & Tear apart

LulaMae Barnes

5 hours ago, Ibbison from Ibben said:

3) Show. Don't Tell. (Old Nan was Season 1, when they actually stuck to the books.) And if there was going to be a long verbal explanation about how the Others came to be, Show tradition requires that it be delivered by Littlefinger, preferably in a brothel, with at least a pair of nude female prositues going at it in the background

Fix that for you ;) 

On 5/26/2016 at 2:35 AM, athmystikal said:

By now Sansa, Brienne and Littlefinger might have learned about the threat of White Wlakers. But none of them seem concerned about this. I mean how would you react when you realise that the earth is about to be invaded by aliens. Would you still go on about your quarrels or try to run away?

I understand that they still need to take Winterfell to unite the North against the WW. But there is no discussion about any plan on how to stop them. 

Now Brienne is going to Riverlands next episode. Is she going to talk about the WW to river lords?

In the show, the WW appear one episode, but after that they are completely forgotten until the next episode (usually 3-4 episodes later) in whcih they appear. 

This drives me crazy too. Ever since the Fist of the First Men,  you would think that every NWmen survivor would spend every waking minute thinking about them and their army of the undead.  instead they spend the next 4 seasons arguing about wildlings...    You would think that Jon and Edd would be talking about witnessing the NK at Hardhome, doing his best come at me bro but we never so much as get them talking about this to the rest of the NW.   I mean, that was a MAJOR discovery on their part, the Others have a leader or king! What?!  Big deal alert!  Stop pretending like you knew that all along.   And then Sansa show's up/Jon revives, suddenly neither of them care about the Others or NK cause Winterfell.

But let's double down this episode.   Bran is kinda sorta told about the White Walkers by Osha, Sam and Reeds.  As far as he's concerned they are the real big bad.  But no one ever tells him about the NK until this episode.  When he's shown the brief origin story he only says "You created THEM", not "him"  As far as we know, 3ER hasn't told him much about the NK specifically. (Boy the audience would sure like to know more after that 30second origin scene)   But immediately after that Bran goes all dumb bored child and sneaks into the weirnet.   When he gets out, he's all 'He touched me! The nights King! omg!'   Was this the first time he is reference by name in the show????  Tell us more god damnit.   Or at least talk about him, it makes no sense to gloss over him.   People talk more about a dragon queen on the other side of the world than they do about the abominable snowman and his army of the undead which they've actually witnessed first hand.

So, I didn't really mind the Hodor closed loop time-travel reveal really.   I love me some time travel so I just thought it was cool.   And yeah if a fantasy series is going to do it, it would follow the predestination closed loop principals.    But I have two gripes that have more to do with the delivery and outcome than the reveal itself.

1. Hodor is seen as more important than the nights king or 3ER or Leaf or Summer, etc.   There is so much to have learned with the 3ER but instead we mostly got Ho(ld the)dor.

2. Holy shit has this been the all-time low point in game of thrones speculation.  Suddenly every other thread consists of 'omg, what if bran cause this, or what if he caused that, or what if bran is actually that bran, etc.   It's an open door of never ending speculation based on absolutely nothing.   Oh bran has been shown to have bare minimal impact on past events, HES A TIME LORD!!   Obviously he built the wall/is the NK/caused the mad king to go crazy/convinced reaghar to kidnap lyanna/is his own granpa.  What the fuck are people on?

In honor of Bran becoming a timelord of never ending speculation, I've made this mashup gif.  Time travelling Bran

(Best if you've seen 12 monkeys)

10 minutes ago, ebourget said:

So, I didn't really mind the Hodor closed loop time-travel reveal really.   I love me some time travel so I just thought it was cool.   And yeah if a fantasy series is going to do it, it would follow the predestination closed loop principals.    But I have two gripes that have more to do with the delivery and outcome than the reveal itself.

1. Hodor is seen as more important than the nights king or 3ER or Leaf or Summer, etc.   There is so much to have learned with the 3ER but instead we mostly got Ho(ld the)dor.

<>

Yes, this is a real issue for me.  I thought the Hodor reveal was good (bar the spider-wight/fireball nonsense) but the Other origin went for nothing, just like no-one seems to be talking about this army of the dead that's supposed to be coming.  It's just off.

10 hours ago, Forlong the Fat said:

"The back door is three leagues north, down a sinkhole."

ADWD, Bran II

Are you saying that Meera, Bran and Hodor could make it three leagues north and down a sinkhole but the wights couldn't?

The characters at Castle Black are not meshing very well at all. It feels like they're all in their own little groups and talking about seperate things. Reminds me of when Brienne and Jaime got home for the purple wedding and she didnt speak to Sansa at all.

1 hour ago, Ruhail said:

The characters at Castle Black are not meshing very well at all. It feels like they're all in their own little groups and talking about seperate things. Reminds me of when Brienne and Jaime got home for the purple wedding and she didnt speak to Sansa at all.

And I'm still waiting to see those hundreds or thousands of wildlings that came through with Jon and Tormund and Edd last year. They just completely vanished! LOL

2 hours ago, Ruhail said:

Agreed,  Sansa and Brienne are not supposed to be there, none of this will go down this way in the books, it's filler, and it's bad filler. Just to create faux tension, it's like, hey what if this or that happened, then what would happen? And an experienced showrunner would say, you know, let's not go there, it's going to mess everything up.

11 hours ago, Forlong the Fat said:

I thought this was painfully obvious, but I will make it clearer. There's a back door  

I have no idea how what the wights could or couldn't do enters into the silly suggestion that it is implausible to have a back door. 

If caves have back doors where you come from, then I can understand your confusion.  The only caves I know of that have doors are ones which have been converted into homes.  Clearly, this cave has not had any such work done.  There are no windows, no rooms, no front door, yet... there is a back door.  Whether a back door is mentioned in the books or not, is irrelevant and doesn't change my opinion.

Also, if a large group of fast moving, violent creatures attack a cave, it's logical that they would swarm all over the place looking for every possible way to get in and/or block all exits so that their quarry can't escape.

They are separate issues but both equally silly.

I hope that clarifies my comments for you.  If you didn't think these aspects of the scene were ridiculous, that's fine.  I'm glad things like this don't spoil your enjoyment of the show.

A back door is a rear entrance that is not necessarily an actual door, except on GoT where it was an actual door.  

Definition of back door in English:

back door

Pronunciation: /ˈˌbak ˈdô(ə)r/  

NOUN

1The door or entrance at the back of a building.

10 minutes ago, Forlong the Fat said:

If you lived in the coldest place in the world, infested with shadow-cats and wildling raiders, among others, would you put a door on your back entrance? Just imagine the heating bill if there's no door.

So, you put a back door to a place 3 leagues away, but leave your main entrance totally open!

I guess the cold, the beasts and the wildlings all took some "how to be sneaky" lessons with Ramsey's 20 good men and the marvelous Sand Snakes, but our kindly "not half-tree" grandpa blocked their move by building a door.

Cool story!

Do we really need to be putting the reminder about the purpose of this thread every page?

On 11/5/2016 at 3:50 PM, Ran said:

The topic of the thread is discussing things you disliked about the episode. It is not a place to throw insults at one another or to act as if the normal rules of the forum do not apply.

Discussion of why people disliked something is permitted, but remember the topic at hand: this is not a debate thread, it's a discussion thread specifically about episode details or events that posters disliked. Posts that ignore this will be considered off-topic.

9 minutes ago, Fanny said:

Do we really need to be putting the reminder about the purpose of this thread every page?

Discussion of why people disliked something is permitted

It's a discussion thread specifically about episode details or events that posters disliked.

People are discussing what they didn't like. The disclaimer does not mean this thread is only about complaining and nothing else.

3 minutes ago, RoamingRonin said:

People are discussing what they didn't like. The disclaimer does not mean this thread is only about complaining and nothing else.

I guess you missed the part where it says "this is not a debate thread". Trying to debate other users into correcting their complaints is certainly off-topic.

9 minutes ago, RoamingRonin said:

What they disliked about the show, not about what other posters wrote.

18 minutes ago, RoamingRonin said:

Yes it does thats the thread's purpose

I think D&D wasted valuable screen time with the whole Dorne plot. Much of that time should have been spent on Jon and Edd trying to convince others in the NW that the Walkers are real and they're coming. Instead we got a 2 minute scene of Jon discussing it with just Sam I believe and really haven't broached the subject since. Would have been nice to have Jon, Edd, and Tormund discussing what happened with Thorne and the other NW officers.  Same with Jon's resurrection this season. He's brought back from the dead and it's been treated like an everyday occurrence. Brushed aside as if he simply jammed a finger or something. 

2 hours ago, Valetudo said:

What they disliked about the show, not about what other posters wrote.

Indeed. There are plenty of debate spaces on this forum. Criticizing the show WITHOUT repercussions is what this space is for, not attacking other posters for their negative views of the show. 

So is Sansa going to send Brienne off to the Riverlands to contact the Blackfish, find Arya, run into the Hound, run into Jaime, or just quit bugging her about lying? I'm confused. Everybody's motivations are so opaque, and sometimes seem so out of character.

Archived