[Spoilers] On tinfoil theories and the show

The Kinkslayer

GRRM has said that he stopped visiting fan sites since somebody during the 90's correctly predicted some plot points, but he has also referred to some fan theories as amusing bullshit.

Is also no secret that GRRM has yet to write plenty of plot points to fill voids in the series, and that D&D needed to take decisions on where to take the show years in advance (for example start planning S6 plots in lets say 2014).

E5 is a Bran-heavy episode, and that means that some tinfoil theories could become canon (at least for the show). So do you think that D&D and/or GRRM are likely to use some of our beloved tinfoil theories to fill the voids in the story (or as fan service)? or could it be that even our craziest theories are sometimes right?.

18 minutes ago, ghosts in winterfell said:

Isn't the Others being a CotF creation part of the Heresy?

Yes, it is - the heretics were always closer to understanding where this story was going then the others, IMO.

I kind of always had the feeling, that most of the Children of the Forest and the Others mythos were taken by D&D directly from GRRM. The rest they add or subtract but this is direct spoilers.

3 hours ago, Masha said:

I kind of always had the feeling, that most of the Children of the Forest and the Others mythos were taken by D&D directly from GRRM. The rest they add or subtract but this is direct spoilers.

1 hour ago, GeorgeIAF said:

The creation of Others seems straight up from GRRM's mind.

yes. They confirmed this too, i believe. That, and the Hodor thing.

I've said something like: "the others apparently have some connection with the weirwoods". I've also said stuff like: "maybe the others are cursed humans". I've also said something like: "maybe the children of the forest created the others". But I never said all three in the same theory. I assumed the lands of always winter always existed.  I assumed the curse was done by something other than COTF/Weirwood. 

If anyone said "COTF created others using dragonglass, weirwood ritual, to defeat the first men", fair play. I saw "others = COTF creation from weirwood" and "others = cursed humans" as different theories, and I kind of still do: how does weirwood+COTF+dragonglass lead to ice? 

14 hours ago, Florina Laufeyson said:

yes. They confirmed this too, i believe. That, and the Hodor thing.

The creation myth essentially screws up a whole series of different events from the past we are told about. 

I dont get the point in building a whole backstory and then just claim the entire thing was a lie.

14 minutes ago, farm_ecology said:

The creation myth essentially screws up a whole series of different events from the past we are told about. 

I dont get the point in building a whole backstory and then just claim the entire thing was a lie.

I don't think it's screwed up anything. There's still some missing pieces, though.

On 5/23/2016 at 8:30 PM, The Kinkslayer said:

GRRM has said that he stopped visiting fan sites since somebody during the 90's correctly predicted some plot points, but he has also referred to some fan theories as amusing bullshit.

Is also no secret that GRRM has yet to write plenty of plot points to fill voids in the series, and that D&D needed to take decisions on where to take the show years in advance (for example start planning S6 plots in lets say 2014).

E5 is a Bran-heavy episode, and that means that some tinfoil theories could become canon (at least for the show). So do you think that D&D and/or GRRM are likely to use some of our beloved tinfoil theories to fill the voids in the story (or as fan service)? or could it be that even our craziest theories are sometimes right?.

On 5/23/2016 at 8:56 PM, The Kinkslayer said:

And yes, I'm referring to this post.

Seven blessings to Myrddin.

As much as I'd like to think we (me in this one instance) influenced Martin, I'm inclined to think it's not the case.

He's put tons of clues throughout the books. With all of us going over every detail, it shouldn't be that surprising that a few of those theories or, ahem, jokes are right on target.

For my own part, I just puzzled out the words hidden within Hodor's name. "Hold the door" 

Now, if we later learn that Bran's name actually came from for Ned yelling "Bring me another ale, Nan" over and over, THEN we can call out Martin. ;) 

And thank you for the blessings. It's been a crazy 24 hours.

Archived