CotF and the White Walkers

Nymeria_Stark

2 hours ago, ummester said:

What were they created to be a weapon against? Oh, that's right, invading humans that were cutting down all the magical trees. Their cause was righteous from the start - and still is.

Where did Bran find them gathered this episode - again, around a big weirwood. Why did they attack Royce in the prologue of book 1? Probably because he wacked a tree with his sword.

The Others/White walkers were created to protect Westeros - and that is what they are doing. Unfortunately, humans have never beedn good for Westeros, so the only way the Others can protect it is to try and get the humans out.

Was it the COTF who drew faces on the Weirwoods? Perhaps the white walkers interpreted that action as damaging the Weirwood and this is when they turned against their makers.

Do the Weirwoods need blood to survive? If so then the white walkers may just be trying to feed them by killing so many people - some a threat, some not.

The 3ER Weirwood north of the wall seems to be thriving in a climate which most other things would die - i.e. humans. Perhaps by making it winter everywhere, they aim to destroy all threats to the Weirwoods without killing the trees themselves?

Ok...long lurking fan here, signed in just to post on this topic:

IS this it? the 20 years old  mystery about the Others? Damn Skynet? A theme done about a million times already? And not even in a original way?

No Hearth of Winter (they aren't from there anyway), no ancient northern mysterious race, no Great Other, no Ice dragons, no complicated plots or motivations..nothing. Skynet reloaded. ..

. GRR really, really went around this one with his "Others are a race" implications...

Next thing I expect is Bran hearing about a magic device the CoF made as safeguard against their creation, but "sadly" lost. "Luckily" ,after an epic quest, he'll get it and use/blow/lick/charm the damn thing and save the day, just in time...

I created a new topic concerning the parallels between ASoIaF and ancient tales, especially from Celtic and Norse mythology. I created the thread in order to compile tales from mythology that GrrM is reffering to. I wrote most of the text more then two years ago, when there were also great theories in the Heresy and the Howl at the moon threads, but I couldn't find them again yet.

The parrallels are especially interesting if it comes to the CotF, the Others, Bran and Bloodraven and the promised Warrior of Light etc. If you know of good posts, concerning the Celtic-Norse-mythology-complex, it would be great to post the links there (or if you have written one yourself), as well as to hear your opinion on these topics!

Declein: I think you're simplyfying it. We saw the Others' origins (Interestingly, in the books they are called The White Walkers of the Woods) but we don't know anything about their motivations. We know where they came from, but what do they want, or do they even want anything? Remains to be seen.

16 minutes ago, Jon Snow Bengal said:

Was it the COTF who drew faces on the Weirwoods? Perhaps the white walkers interpreted that action as damaging the Weirwood and this is when they turned against their makers.

Do the Weirwoods need blood to survive? If so then the white walkers may just be trying to feed them by killing so many people - some a threat, some not.

The 3ER Weirwood north of the wall seems to be thriving in a climate which most other things would die - i.e. humans. Perhaps by making it winter everywhere, they aim to destroy all threats to the Weirwoods without killing the trees themselves?

Yes, very much something like that.

Also, have a read about Sidhe, Dökkálfar and Ljósálfar, Elves, Angels, Demons and Dwarves in mythology. All a big mish mash of each other - pretty much based on 2 original types - the short little tricksters that protect the forest from the ground and the tall and elegant ethereal beings that generally avoid humans and protect things from up high. In the books the Others are much more ethereal - but the show needs to control the viewers perception of things to deliver surprises properly.

It is possible that the CotF are being tricksters, even in episode 605, that their motives for Bran aren't entirely clear. Bloodravens motives are definitely not clear and nor is his relationship with the CotF, or the Others - there is some tricking going on there.

25 minutes ago, GeorgeIAF said:

Will Bran learn to warg the Wights the same way the NK does ? Would help him survive against them.

Will he learn to warg the Nights King and use the Others as his army? Or will he befriend the Nights King? Has the Nights King marked Bran, is chasing Bran because he knows how important Bran is also?

3 minutes ago, Morbanth said:

Declein: I think you're simplyfying it. We saw the Others' origins (Interestingly, in the books they are called The White Walkers of the Woods) but we don't know anything about their motivations. We know where they came from, but what do they want, or do they even want anything? Remains to be seen.

We know that they are magic/mutated/whatever humans made to kill other humans. Motivation. They are killing humans. Result.

We also know that they turned on their masters. It's a theme used about a thousand times already. Does it really matter why? Maybe they're insane or want revenge for what the CoF did to them..so what? It's a minor plot detail at this point.

IMHO, this is killing so much of the story... and it opens up another bland, bad, perspective: that of the lost/forgotten "super weapon" which will be finally used to defeat the Others, exactly when all hope was lost.

19 minutes ago, desire said:

So how did the others learn to use human children into wights? 

Only the Nights King can turn human babies into White Walkers, coz he has that obsidian shard in his heart (he's like Iron Man :D). White Walkers can raise dead humans as wights (which are scared of fire, but White Walkers aren't).

Also, even though White Walkers can be killed with dragon glass, I doubt the Nights King can. He's different.

19 minutes ago, SerJeremiahLouistark said:

So are the children completely eradicated now and extinct? 

Interesting question - quite possibly.

But, you have to wonder, if tey had the magic to make a being that could live forever and turn human babies into beings that could raise the dead, wouldn't they have the power to raise the dead themselves?

3 minutes ago, ummester said:

Interesting question - quite possibly.

But, you have to wonder, if tey had the magic to make a being that could live forever and turn human babies into beings that could raise the dead, wouldn't they have the power to raise the dead themselves?

Probably but how do they raise themselves when they are the ones dead?  Doesn't one have to be alive to do so? I guess it's possible there are others out there that could.  

Also, do Hodor and Summer turn into wights now?  

2 minutes ago, SerJeremiahLouistark said:

Also, do Hodor and Summer turn into wights now?  

In show, Hodor definitely. But we haven't seen any animals turn in show.

In books, yea, Summer would be a blue eyed wolf now.

Probably but how do they raise themselves when they are the ones dead?  Doesn't one have to be alive to do so? I guess it's possible there are others out there that could.  

Yea, the White Walkers could, I guess. If you raise a CotF, are they magical still? Do CotF zombies have holy hand grenades? 

What the Other raise are mindless wraiths. They don't resurrect like the Red Priests.The CoF can't either resurrect or raise wraiths (they would have used this weapon in their war with the humans if they could, instead they made the Others).

The Others most likely can't raise CoF's, as such a power would have been seen as useless for a weapon against humans

4 minutes ago, ummester said:

In show, Hodor definitely. But we haven't seen any animals turn in show.

In books, yea, Summer would be a blue eyed wolf now.

Yea, the White Walkers could, I guess. If you raise a CotF, are they magical still? Do CotF zombies have holy hand grenades? 

We've seen dead/alive horses though.  Isn't it possible Wolves could be zombie wolves too if horses can be?

Just now, Declein said:

What the Other raise are mindless wraiths. They don't resurrect like the Red Priests.The CoF can't either resurrect or raise wraiths (they would have used this weapon in their war with the humans if they could, instead they made the Others).

The Others most likely can't raise CoF's, as such a power would have been seen as useless for a weapon against humans

Fair enough - but the Nights King can turn babies into White Walkers/Others. What if the Nights King touched a dead CotF - or a live one? What if the Nights King touched a baby dragon?

I want to know what the significance of the spiral pattern is to the white walkers, the stones around the weir-wood tree the night King was created at and later when bran saw the wight army with the night's King were organised into a spiral patten which was similar if not identical to the spiral the bodies of the nights watch and horses were left in after the battle at the fist of the first men. Image link below

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQadUukIxszypa595fkx7ST9MiNR3A75PVxGtkcxJ4llovQVJQ5s_vuyPV-

Archived