Choose Your Kingsguard!

Dwadalin

Hi there, I'm a fan who used to lurk here years ago but never made an account. I had a question for the community.

If you had access to anyone in the seven kingdoms, or even the whole of Planetos, who would be your 7 Kingsguard? (Or Queensguard as may be the case)

Now I do not mean building a dream team of the Dragonknight and Arthur Dayne. Who would you pick starting at the 1st book? Anyone who you pick will instantly accept if you ask them. So for example, Barristan Selmy would abandon Robert to tend to you. 

Here would be mine.

Lord Commander Barristan Selmy

Sandor Clegane

Areo Hotah

Garlan Tyrell

Bryndyn "The Blackfish" Tully

Balon Swann

Boros Blount to check for poison at my meals

This I tend to think would have been a much better Kingsguard for Robert Baratheon.

Lord Commander Brynden Tully

Ser Barristan Selmy (I would give him the option to go to the Wall with honours or remain as a Kingsguard not Commander his choice)

Ser Lyn Corbray

Ser Balon Swann

Ser Richard Horpe

Ser Rolland Storm

Ser Cortnay Penrose

Ser Godfry Farring as a spare if Barristan decides to go to the Wall.

Lol this is consistently one of my favourite threads, even if there is one of them like every three pages (kind of like all of the R+L=J threads ).

Anyway, I kind of get annoyed by the responses to this topic at times, mostly due to the completely unrealistic nominations that come up. As if Greatjon Umber, Khal Drogo, Victarion Greyjoy, Oberyn Martell, etc. Would EVER be asked to or even accept to be inducted into the Kingsguard.

So, keeping that in mind, this is my totally realistic Kingsguard, based off guys who would both

A. Be offered the position of the Kingsguard and...
B. Accept said offer.

Kingsguard (realistic candidates) 

Ser Arys Oakheart  :

- Inspite of how things turned out for Arys, he definitely fit the criteria for the Kingsguard. Out of Roberts 7, he was one of three to be both a respectable swordsman and actually have a conscience.

Ser Balon Swann :

- Fairly similar in temperament to Oakheart, only less impulsive and more formidable according to Areo Hotah. Almost universally regarded as a good choice for the Kingsguard.

Ser Barristan Selmy (Lord Commander) :

- A legend in Westeros and has managed to remain relatively close to his prime as he's aged.

Brienne of Tarth :

- Embodies what a member of the Kingsguard should be. Whether she's as good as the top tier is up for debate, but George has definitely gone out of his way to show the reader she's a badass. Even though she is pretty naive, she definitely has the right mindset.

Ser Jaime Lannister :

- Inspite of the terrible shit he's done, Jaime has shown recently that deep down he is a good person. If you could get him away from the terrible influences in his life (namely Cersei) he could be a great Kingsguard.

The fact that he's probably the best swordsman in the entire series doesn't hurt either.

Ser Loras Tyrell :

- His reputation alone would help after the decline of the Kingsguard in recent years. As Jaime identifies in Feast, Loras is basically himself born again. So he's obviously a prodigy and is devoted to his family. With someone there to mentor him and hopefully a good King to serve, he could possibly actually live up to his potential.

Ser Robar Royce :

- We don't know a lot about Robar, but the little information we're given in Clash suggests he was a good choice for Renly's Rainbow Guard. The only thing he really lacks is experience (as Cat points out), but again he has the right mindset and is a more than capable swordsman by most accounts.

Honorable mention to the Blackfish and Garlan Tyrell. These two are obvious choices, but Garlan apparently isn't interested in fame and based off Bryndens conversation with Jaime I just don't think he would ever serve alongside the Kingslayer.

Was also really tempted to put someone from Dorne in there too. Probably either Archibald Yronwood or Daemon Sand, but to be honest it's probably just better to leave well enough alone if the King is a Baratheon/Lannister.

Edit : In this scenario, I'd also ship Mandon Moore, Preston Greenfield, Meryn Trant and Boros Blount off to the Wall. What's the point in having someone in your Kingsguard if you can't trust them? They would be better off killing Wildlings than protecting the King, IMO. 

I think the best Move For Robert Would have be to Pick a Member from each region for his Kingsguard. I think it would Solidify your position and respect from each region as well as give a hero to each kingdom to look up to in the future.  

Lord Commander Barristan Selmy - Dorne, Obviously you want this guy on your kingsguard because of his loyalty to his vows. He has the experience and he is so well liked and famous in the seven kingdoms to execute.   

Bryden Tully - Riverlands, all around badass, smart and cunning, also relives the stress that Hoster Tully had with him for never marrying. 

Benjen Stark- North, Young and loyal to Robert from the start. Gives a good connection to North for the Capital. 

Cortnay Penrose- Storm lands, We don't know a lot about Penrose, but he is a Knight and older, wise and honorable. He was trusted to be Castellan of Storm's End by Renly. And I love that he stood up to Stannis when he demanded Edric Storm.

Addam Marbrand. Westernland, Another young knight after the Rebellion who you can Develop loyalty with. He is respected and a Good knight that people are willing to follow into battle. He Steps in for Jamie Lannister who I would have sent to the wall. 

Lyn Corbray Vale he orginally fought against Robert but was pardoned and finished the rebellion with Robert. A good Fighter and respected knight. Robert was great at turning enemies into loyal friends. 

The Reach is a hard one Only because I can think of any great Warriors from the Reach at the time of Roberts Rebellion that would be suitable. Garlan Tyrell would be too young and also hes Mace Tyrells heir. Randyll Tarly would be Great but hes the Lord of Horn Hill so obliviously that wouldn't work.Also the the reach stay loyal to the Targaryens till the very end so fuck'em. So I would go with...

Victarion Greyjoy - Iron Islands. the Iron born entered the Rebellion late but they did fight for Robert against the reach that remain loyal to the targaryens. Also naming Victarion to your Kingsguard probably prevents Balons rebellion but you know how hindsight works.  

16 minutes ago, House Beaudreau said:

I think the best Move For Robert Would have be to Pick a Member from each region for his Kingsguard. I think it would Solidify your position and respect from each region as well as give a hero to each kingdom to look up to in the future.  

Lord Commander Barristan Selmy - Dorne, Obviously you want this guy on your kingsguard because of his loyalty to his vows. He has the experience and he is so well liked and famous in the seven kingdoms to execute.   

Bryden Tully - Riverlands, all around badass, smart and cunning, also relives the stress that Hoster Tully had with him for never marrying. 

Benjen Stark- North, Young and loyal to Robert from the start. Gives a good connection to North for the Capital. 

Cortnay Penrose- Storm lands, We don't know a lot about Penrose, but he is a Knight and older, wise and honorable. He was trusted to be Castellan of Storm's End by Renly. And I love that he stood up to Stannis when he demanded Edric Storm.

Addam Marbrand. Westernland, Another young knight after the Rebellion who you can Develop loyalty with. He is respected and a Good knight that people are willing to follow into battle. He Steps in for Jamie Lannister who I would have sent to the wall. 

Lyn Corbray Vale he orginally fought against Robert but was pardoned and finished the rebellion with Robert. A good Fighter and respected knight. Robert was great at turning enemies into loyal friends. 

The Reach is a hard one Only because I can think of any great Warriors from the Reach at the time of Roberts Rebellion that would be suitable. Garlan Tyrell would be too young and also hes Mace Tyrells heir. Randyll Tarly would be Great but hes the Lord of Horn Hill so obliviously that wouldn't work.Also the the reach stay loyal to the Targaryens till the very end so fuck'em. So I would go with...

Victarion Greyjoy - Iron Islands. the Iron born entered the Rebellion late but they did fight for Robert against the reach that remain loyal to the targaryens. Also naming Victarion to your Kingsguard probably prevents Balons rebellion but you know how hindsight works.  

Not to be a nit picker, but I thought house Selmy was from the crownlands? Though I really dig the concept of  getting knights from all over the realm. It seems like an idea that Jon Connington has in mind. Also, Willas is the heir to Highgarden, not Garlan.

6 minutes ago, Dwadalin said:

Not to be a nit picker, but I thought house Selmy was from the crownlands? Though I really dig the concept of  getting knights from all over the realm. It seems like an idea that Jon Connington has in mind. Also, Willas is the heir to Highgarden, not Garlan.

You are absolutely right about about Willas. I totally spaced him I guess hes just a little forgettable and thats not me trying to bash on a cripple. 

Harvest Hall where Selmy is from, is technically part of the Stormlands, but it is in the Dornish Marches. I believe Selmy would fall into the "Stoney Dornish" category because he defiantly more Andel than Rhoynish. Historically the Dornish Marches have been kinda of a disputed land because they border the Reach, Dorne and the Stormlands. 

But to my Original point, Selmy is a good enough representative for Dorne and the Reach and because of his High standing the both would try to claim him as there own. Ultimately you would want someone to closely related to the real Dorne because of what happened to Elia and her Children and also the Daynes in Starfall Just lost a member of their house who was in Aery's Kingsguard.       

26 minutes ago, House Beaudreau said:

Harvest Hall where Selmy is from, is technically part of the Stormlands, but it is in the Dornish Marches. I believe Selmy would fall into the "Stoney Dornish" category because he defiantly more Andel than Rhoynish. Historically the Dornish Marches have been kinda of a disputed land because they border the Reach, Dorne and the Stormlands.       

He's not Dornish. Not even Stoney-Dornish. He's a Stormlander. It's confusing because March means a border. The Dornish Marches means the border with Dorne, but it's land from Dorne, the Reach and the Storm's Lands. All intersecting. House Caron and Dondarrion are another example of "Marcher Lords" but are Stormlords.

Edit: Someone living on the Mexican Border (in the USA) is still a US citizen. In Mexico someone might live on the US border. If that makes sense.

12 hours ago, GallowsKnight said:

This I tend to think would have been a much better Kingsguard for Robert Baratheon.

Lord Commander Brynden Tully

Ser Barristan Selmy (I would give him the option to go to the Wall with honours or remain as a Kingsguard not Commander his choice)

Ser Lyn Corbray

Ser Balon Swann

Ser Richard Horpe

Ser Rolland Storm

Ser Cortnay Penrose

Ser Godfry Farring as a spare if Barristan decides to go to the Wall.

Very good kingsguard. I could choose the same. Loras would be a good choice too. 

Maybe, if we learn more about Darkstar and he is actually capable of loyalty I'd choose him instead of Penrose. Lyn Corbray and Rolland Storm are definitely in my kingsguard, I'd  also choose Clayton Suggs instead of Farring. Say what you want about him, but his reaction to what could have been Bolton men was badass and basically everything you could expect from a kingsguard in terms of loyalty. Not everyone of the seven has to be the epitome of knighthood, you can just forbid him from hanging with the tortures so that his reputation doesn't get tainted. If Lyn Corbray isn't trustworthy I also could think about getting rid of him and choosing someone else instead. 

Brienne is a woman (I personally have no problem with it, but others might, and the perception of the kingsguard is almost more important than their martial prowess, plus so far everyone she has sworn fealty to died) so I wouldn't choose her. I could still imagine her as a sworn sword though. The Hound isn't perceived well either. Most other notable fighters are either old (Blackfish) or occupied with different duties (Hotah), although I could see the Blackfish in my team instead of some weaker kingsguard. At least he can command troops. 

4 minutes ago, John Doe said:

I'd  also choose Clayton Suggs instead of Farring. Say what you want about him, but his reaction to what could have been Bolton men was badass and basically everything you could expect from a kingsguard in terms of loyalty. Not everyone of the seven has to be the epitome of knighthood, you can just forbid him from hanging with the tortures so that his reputation doesn't get tainted.

That was why I chose him too, although I rather like his reputation. Bad men have their uses, especially in a world like ASoIaF.

Just now, Southron Knight said:

That was why I chose him too, although I rather like his reputation. Bad men have their uses, especially in a world like ASoIaF.

True, and that definitely makes him useful, but I don't think it's the job of the kingsguard to have such a reputation. I think Tywin got it right. 

You feed your dog bones under the table, you do not seat him beside you on the high bench.

13 hours ago, SerLinginBerry said:

Lady Brienne Tarth

The Future Ser Podrick Payne

I only need 2. Fuck the Seven. I have 2 KG to match the number of gods in the red religion.

I imagine you might miss the other five when you're being sacked.

Archived