Choose Your Kingsguard!

Dwadalin

I'd want them to be loyal before anything else kingsguard shouldn't be hostages if you want them to carry pointy objects when they're alone with you. I'd also want them to be mostly experienced but have a couple of younger ones to learn from the younger ones, I don't want someone as naive as Arys Oakheart who was easily manipulated, or anyone too clever like the Blackfish who might scheme. I'd be fine with simple, unambitious men even if they occasionally pop off to gamble or visit brothels when they're off duty. But I wouldn't want someone who actually revels in killing like Gregor Clegane.

Kingsguard:

1. Barristan The Bold: Wise and useful on the council if he'll speak up. But mainly he's useful as a mentor to other knights and is someone who will be rooted for by smallfolk. Barristan is a hero to most in Westeros and people might see him as a sign of sovereignty.
  2. Areo Hotah: Serve, Protect, Obey. That's pretty much what I'd look for in the Kingsguard, he's loyal but not zealous and seems very through and predictable. This makes him a calming influence. He also outfought Arys Oakheart, a younger and well armoured knight meaning he can still fight very well in his oldish age.
  3. Jhogo: I think its probably useful to have a kingsguard who feels at home on a horse and can travel quickly. Jhogo has shown fast reactions with his whip and is brave in battle. He's also led search parties for Dany and is willing to be a hostage, showing great loyalty.
  4. Syrio Forell: Skilled, charming and loyal. Although he might seem less intimidating he can defend a king well.
  5. Grey Worm: Extremely loyal, was cosen by his own unsullied brothers so he can lead other men well, but also young so he can learn to be Lord Commander some day after getting pointers from Barristan.
  6. Brienne of Tarth: An excellent fighter with extremely valuable loyalty. Also keeping her around suggests I'll show fairness and pragmatism in the face of tradition.
  7. Jacelyn Bywater: The gold cloak doesn't have much of a family that we know of, is considered honourable despite having had to serve under Slynt. Best of all he knows Kingslanding well which might be nice in a crisis or when tracking criminals. Besides he can be highly intimidating.

This group is highly diverse and mostly foreign or have been shown to choose their king over their liege lord. The upshot of this is that they won't be swayed if their cousin decides to lead a rebellion in 30 years or something. The Kingsguard serves for life and I want them loyal to me personally and not too ambitious. Warriors from within Westeros can win other, less permanent honours. I'm not going to ask Loras Tyrell or the Smalljon Umber to guard my and my kids while they have families who could turn against me.

As long as the kingsguard understand the concept that their oath is binding and that this oath supercedes their moral opinion about right and wrong in every instance (That is - my command is law), I would be willing to settle for mostly anyone.

Currently, I think I would go for Aerys kingsguard minus Jaime and adding the Dragonknight maybe instead (or some other candidate if I am mistaken on his personality). Areo Hotah seems to understand his job very well.

Edit: Oh - I couldn´t do that according to the rules. Well, then Selmy and Hotah are given. Balon Swann and Robert Strong maybe (if I can choose him). As the last 3? Hmm - maybe Bronn? and/or Steelshanks Walton? Balon Swann is the most "excess" I am willing to accept on the "loyalty territory"

48 minutes ago, Protagoras said:

As long as the kingsguard understand the concept that their oath is binding and that this oath supercedes their moral opinion about right and wrong in every instance (That is - my command is law), I would be willing to settle for mostly anyone.

Currently, I think I would go for Aerys kingsguard minus Jaime and adding the Dragonknight maybe instead (or some other candidate if I am mistaken on his personality). Areo Hotah seems to understand his job very well.

Edit: Oh - I couldn´t do that according to the rules. Well, then Selmy and Hotah are given. Balon Swann and Robert Strong maybe (if I can choose him). As the last 3? Hmm - maybe Bronn? and/or Steelshanks Walton? Balon Swann is the most "excess" I am willing to accept on the "loyalty territory"

That's what the oath means, that doesn't mean anyone will actually keep it. Try to see them as characters and what might motivate them. For instance Ribert Strong is controlled by Qyburn, not the king, and Bronn left Tyrion for a girl and a castle (neither of which a kingsguard could have) when he didn't want to fight the wrong guy. Not sure why Brynden is so popular, he was supposed to guard the Bloody Gate but chose supporting Cat and Edmure instead, he could be swayed again by family. Also Garlan is one of the best swordsmen and nicest guys in the books, but he's married and has three siblings, that makes him easy to threaten and could divide his loyalty

I'm not sure why Lyn Corbray is such a popular choice. Even if the pedophilia rumors aren't true, wouldn't you rather have someone who is both a capable fighter and not a piece of shit? In that case, you may as well just keep Mandon Moore

I also think this could be a fabulous line-up

1. Brynden Tully

2. Oberyn Martell

3. Renly Baratheon

4. Loras Tyrell

5. Jon Connington

6. Lyn Corbray

7. Hothar Umber

20 hours ago, John Doe said:

Very good kingsguard. I could choose the same. Loras would be a good choice too. 

Maybe, if we learn more about Darkstar and he is actually capable of loyalty I'd choose him instead of Penrose. Lyn Corbray and Rolland Storm are definitely in my kingsguard, I'd  also choose Clayton Suggs instead of Farring. Say what you want about him, but his reaction to what could have been Bolton men was badass and basically everything you could expect from a kingsguard in terms of loyalty. Not everyone of the seven has to be the epitome of knighthood, you can just forbid him from hanging with the tortures so that his reputation doesn't get tainted. If Lyn Corbray isn't trustworthy I also could think about getting rid of him and choosing someone else instead. 

Brienne is a woman (I personally have no problem with it, but others might, and the perception of the kingsguard is almost more important than their martial prowess, plus so far everyone she has sworn fealty to died) so I wouldn't choose her. I could still imagine her as a sworn sword though. The Hound isn't perceived well either. Most other notable fighters are either old (Blackfish) or occupied with different duties (Hotah), although I could see the Blackfish in my team instead of some weaker kingsguard. At least he can command troops. 

Cheers. I wanted a competent, loyal and believable Kings' guard. As Oakheart's Head said, people often pick unrealistic options like Greatjon, Bronze Yohn Royce etc.

I love these kind of threads.
From the time of the first book?

I would've loved to of kept Barriston and Jaime but I would probably send Barriston to the wall and would give Jaime the offer of leaving the Kingsguard and returning home with honours to take his seat at Casterly Rock - I wouldn't like having a known Kingslayer around plus I think this would help get Tywin to your side. I can do that, I'm the king. Alternatively you could give him a honourary role as the "Peoples Guard" seeing as he effectively saved the city from burning and would be a way of installing a form of checks and balances against the monarchy.

1. Brynden Tully (LC) 

2. Jorah Mormont (straight up get that man back - plus very loyal)

3. Sandor Clegane

4. Oberyn Martell

5. Loras Tyrell

6. Aero Hotah

7. Bronn

If he wasn't at the wall I would actually ask Alliser Throne to join the KG. I know he killed his leader but he did that because of his oaths and seems like he would fight to the nail to honour his oaths.

48 minutes ago, Uncle Benjen's said:

If he wasn't at the wall I would actually ask Alliser Throne to join the KG. I know he killed his leader but he did that because of his oaths and seems like he would fight to the nail to honour his oaths.

What do you mean? Who was killed by Alliser Thorne? If you are thinking about Jon, Thorne had been beyond the wall, ranging or already dead, for a while at that moment. No involvement in Jon's stabbing (as far as we know).

8 hours ago, Oakhearts head said:

I'm not sure why Lyn Corbray is such a popular choice. Even if the pedophilia rumors aren't true, wouldn't you rather have someone who is both a capable fighter and not a piece of shit? In that case, you may as well just keep Mandon Moore

I always assumed "boys" meant "men". Besides, there are few knights in the Seven Kingdoms who can match his valour and skill with a blade.

49 minutes ago, Ebrose said:

What do you mean? Who was killed by Alliser Thorne? If you are thinking about Jon, Thorne had been beyond the wall, ranging or already dead, for a while at that moment. No involvement in Jon's stabbing (as far as we know).

My bad, at the time of writing my head was in with the show. :P

Taking that into consideration Alliser Throne would be an even better choice. I might even swap Bronn for him.

2 hours ago, GallowsKnight said:

I also think this could be a fabulous line-up

1. Brynden Tully

2. Oberyn Martell

3. Renly Baratheon

4. Loras Tyrell

5. Jon Connington

6. Lyn Corbray

7. Hothar Umber

That line up does seem pretty "fabulous". Very interesting idea, I expect there will be little trouble outside of Oberyn when it comes to the vow against having a family.

oooh nice topic. I have to say that there is a danger to just put in favorite characters like the red viper or drogo or J'aquen because they are awesome, but this question is more interesting because you need to take the mission statement of the KG into play. A guy like drogo would make a terrible Kingsguard. Wrong temperament for standing around silently and subserviently. Same with the RV. Then there is the question of what counts. I mean, lists will be different if you have to limit to living characters and, even after that, what about limiting to characters who are living or dead but but not dawn age heros who may or may not have existed in the first place.And what about undead? So, that said I will make my list using the full spectrum unless otherwise told.

I have to go

Selmy (old) as LC

Arthur Dayne, Frankenmountain, Grey Worm, Stannis Baratheon, Blackfish and Aero Hotah.

18 minutes ago, YOVMO said:

I have to go

Selmy (old) as LC

Arthur Dayne, Frankenmountain, Grey Worm, Stannis Baratheon, Blackfish and Aero Hotah.

The Sword of the Morning is (as far as we know) quite dead at the beginning of the books so... you'll need to pick a replacement ;p

(And, technically, "Frankenmountain" didn't exist xD)

On 5/23/2016 at 11:18 PM, Southron Knight said:

Very good Ser, but no, I meant the men only rule.

I just love this response

Anywho,

Lord Commander Jorah Mormont (because I'm insane)

Ser Garlan Tyrell (I've seen some people say his an heir, but he is not...Willas Tyrell is the heir to Highgarden)

Ser Balon Swann

Ser Barriston Selmy

Brienne of Tarth (bend the rules)

Thoros of Myr (he won the melee in the Hand's Tourney...)

Jhogo (he keeps his whip, we'll have to train a little with armor...i suppose)

Honerable Mention : Ser Arys Oakheart and Lord Beric Dondarrian (I know he is a Lord, but I want him to have the resurrection power with Thoros....he can replace .....that's hard, I guess Jorah as Lord Commander, that's right Jorah is either Lord Commander or out altogether)

23 minutes ago, Ebrose said:

The Sword of the Morning is (as far as we know) quite dead at the beginning of the books so... you'll need to pick a replacement ;p

As I said in the post, it isn't specific whether we are talking about alive, dead, legend, past, present, undead, etc....that said I used the full tapestry to create my dream (non time specific) kingsguard (hence using an older barristan as LC)

If we are going to use present day I would obviously remove Dayne as well as Stannis (I think the Stannis Robert sent to Dragonstone wouild be great, not so much the one who is dicking around with a red priestess) and if I have to loose frankenmountian as well? Makes it Harder. When someone says the hound do they mean the hound that guarded Joff? The hound near death? The hound that (may or may not er hem) be gravedigger?

This is why I used the entire tapestry. Until someone narrowly defines the rules it would be disingenuous otherwise.

Archived