Hold the Door!

direwoofwoof

I think there is a high probability that the books will have the same basic meaning of HODOR as the show. It really makes sense and confirms that there is only one time line -- so anything that Bran did in the past that affected anyone, it already had that effect. I find that version of "time travel" much more interesting that the more common version where people go back to try to "change the past" in order to alter the present -- can't be done in this world, which is great.

I did tear up a bit. Even though I knew it was coming (read spoilers so I knew about it), I was still really sad at how Bran had to do that to Hodor  (or Willas (show name) or Walder (book name)) to save himself (and presumably the world) -- and it changed Hodor's entire life.

2 minutes ago, -Ghost- said:

In the after episode thing, D&D say GRRM specifically told them about this. I need confirmation from him before I believe them though.

Good luck with that. You'll get confirmation as soon as Winds of Winter is released...so maybe never.

2 minutes ago, -Ghost- said:

In the after episode thing, D&D say GRRM specifically told them about this. I need confirmation from him before I believe them though.

I believe them because it makes total sense -- and what else could Hodor mean (we know in the book his name is Walder).

Just now, ummester said:

What is the worst of all is that it was entirely fucking pointless - the zombies will just break the door down anyway and catch Bran and Meera next episode.

No -- they won't. Bran will not die -- and Hodor gave them the time they needed to get away. 

Spoiler

According to fairly reliable spoilers, Benjen finds them and rescues them.

2 minutes ago, jmondrag said:

I'm a bit confused at what we just witnessed going on... Anyone care to explain how they're interpreting it? 

Bran has the ability to go back in time and actually affect what is happening. For example, at the ToJ scene in a past episode, Ned heard Bran call out to him. So Bran used his powers to force Hodor to save Bran and Meera -- but given the situation Bran needed to take over not only the "present" Hodor, but also the past "Hodor" and because there is only ONE timeline this action in going back into the past has been part of the past even before Bran was born.

Does that clear things up for you?

1 minute ago, UnmaskedLurker said:

No -- they won't. Bran will not die -- and Hodor gave them the time they needed to get away. 

Reveal hidden contents

Bran has the ability to go back in time and actually affect what is happening. For example, at the ToJ scene in a past episode, Ned heard Bran call out to him. So Bran used his powers to force Hodor to save Bran and Meera -- but given the situation Bran needed to take over not only the "present" Hodor, but also the past "Hodor" and because there is only ONE timeline this action in going back into the past has been part of the past even before Bran was born.

Yeah that actually does, thank you so much. I still find that fairly odd. I had some kind of suspicion that Bran was able to affect some of the past and I think this is mentioned in the books as well when he's viewing Ned cleaning ice at Winterfell. He says that he thinks Ned heard him or something like that. Guess it's just weird that this future event would go so far back as to turn Willas into Hodor when Ned was still a kid. That's the part I wasn't completely grasping.

2 minutes ago, UnmaskedLurker said:

Reveal hidden contents

Which may mean he can't go back to warg himself and stop him from climbing to that damn tower. But it would be cheap if the plot could be solved by Bran warging into the past and fixing everything. Is he going to screw up even more?

And damn, that was on the same level as the Red Wedding

4 minutes ago, UnmaskedLurker said:

So one swordsman and Meera are going to hold off that many undead - yea, right :)

I don't think Bran will die either he will have to time travel back and change events, or he will have to control the undead somehow - or the rescuer will hide them somewhere else. But no way they are going to win against that many zombies by conventional means.

Archived