Hold the Door!

direwoofwoof

3 hours ago, Aerys Vengeance said:

I'm wondering how they translate "Hold the Door" => "Hodor" into other languages. In German it would be probably "Halte das Tor" -> "Ha-Tor" -> "Ho-Tor" -> "Hodor"...but it will be certainly not so easy in romanic languages. 

In Hungarian (at least in the subtitles, there's no dubbed version of this episode yet) it's "holtodig óvd!" (pronounce: 'hole-toad-eg owed') which means "protect (it) until you die"

13 minutes ago, of man and wolf said:

How is a girl going to run away fast enough dragging a bigger Bran? They're about to bust that door open. 

They should have gotten Bran on top of Summer who can outrun any of them. 

D&D either hates direwolfes or they needed budget for other stuff.

Foreshadowing:

Turning, Hodor put his back to the wood and shoved. Again. Again. "Hodor!" He put one foot on a higher step so he was bent under the slant of the door and tried to rise. This time the wood groaned and creaked. "Hodor!" The other foot came up a step, and Hodor spread his legs apart, braced, and straightened. His face turned red, and Bran could see cords in his neck bulging as he strained against the weight above him. "Hodor hodor hodor hodorhodor HODOR!" From above came a dull rumble. Then suddenly the door jerked upward and a shaft of daylight fell across Bran's face, blinding him for a moment. Another shove brought the sound of shifting stone, and then the way was open. Osha poked her spear through and slid out after it, and Rickon squirmed through Meera's legs to follow.Hodor shoved the door open all the way and stepped to the surface. The Reeds had to carry Bran up the last few steps.

RIPD Hodor.

11 hours ago, jmondrag said:

I'm a bit confused at what we just witnessed going on... Anyone care to explain how they're interpreting it? 

I'm pretty sure that Bran simply messed up. He must be a more powerful greenseer than even the 3ER can imagine. When he warged into adult Hodor in real life, he inadvertently warged into young Hodor in his vision, too, and permanently scrambled his brain in the process - because he couldn't control his ability.

20 minutes ago, BlackTalon said:

I'm pretty sure that Bran simply messed up. He must be a more powerful greenseer than even the 3ER can imagine. When he warged into adult Hodor in real life, he inadvertently warged into young Hodor in his vision, too, and permanently scrambled his brain in the process - because he couldn't control his ability.

even if it wasn't planned by bran to warg young hodor it was necessary since only a stricken young hodor would grow up to be the hodor that holds the door...

:smoking:

25 minutes ago, BlackTalon said:

Blood Raven knew all this would happen, and Possibly Jojen knew all this would happen. Jojen basically did the same thing Hodor did. 

That explains why hodor always does what he's asked... He is the remnants of someone who was skinchanged.

I wonder if willas's consciousness didn't get transferred into hodors body at the end and that's why his face changed, he didn't look scared at the end, he looked determined. So that boy died in hodors body and all that was left in the young body was the final command, the need to obey.... Idk. It is unbelievably fucked up, though.

6 hours ago, Ambria said:

But in the past where Bran was, he is alive, he will now grow up become Hodor and once again hold the door, so that Bran can once again go back and make him hold the door ??

yeah exactly, time exists all at once and you can't change any of it.

And what if Hodor just had epilepsy and got a hit in head during one of his attacks? Just before them people are having some kind of hallucinations or visions. 3EC knew about it and showed it to Bran to make him feel guilty.

9 hours ago, ummester said:

If bran is consciously prepared to let Meera and Hodor sacrifice themselves for him (even if they want to) then Bran is pretty selfish.

He's not selfish. Everyone is aware of the situation. Either one of them die or every soul in Westeros. They are sacrificing themselves for the greater good (lol). 

6 hours ago, WinterPool Stark said:

But there must have been one timeline where Hodor was NOT Hodor until Bran turned him in to Hodor? So events CAN change as Bran obviously changed it somewhere along the lines

No. There is only ONE timeline. All time travel that ever will happen in the future has already affected the only past that ever occurred. This version of time travel is different than most versions used in fiction -- this one is more like Harry Potter (book 3). There never was a different time line. Hodor became Hodor because he was always destined to become Hodor because Bran was going to do what he did -- so the one and only timeline included that time travel effect. Under this version of time travel, the past cannot be changed, it already was and will always be what it was, even if what it was only was do to time travel from its future.

3 hours ago, mattnj81 said:

I wouldn't put too much faith in that, IMDB can be edited by anybody. Michelle Fairley has been listed twice since her death as "the hooded woman." 

The "truth" about Benjen below (edited to add spoiler tag):

Spoiler

We have very good confirmation from a spoiler source that came out before Ep 4 and has been 100% correct on everything it spoiled about Ep 4 and Ep 5 that Benjen saves Bran and Meera -- and takes them to CB. So the theory that Bran going S of the Wall may be what allows the WW to bring down the Wall seems that a pretty good theory. But Benjen in the next episode as the one who saves Bran and Meera is pretty well confirmed.

6 hours ago, WinterPool Stark said:

But there must have been one timeline where Hodor was NOT Hodor until Bran turned him in to Hodor? So events CAN change as Bran obviously changed it somewhere along the lines

You're making the same error many people do when it comes to events like this: you're thinking about time in a linear fashion. And it's not linear. The causality loop was always there. 

Also, Three Eyed Raven told Bran that the past cannot be changed. So Bran was always supposed to scramble Wylis/Hodor's mind because as far as Hodor is concerned, Bran's intervention already happened. 

13 hours ago, UnmaskedLurker said:

No -- they won't. Bran will not die -- and Hodor gave them the time they needed to get away. 

Reveal hidden contents

According to fairly reliable spoilers, Benjen finds them and rescues them.

I don't imagine that Bran will die, but I really don't see how the tireless zombies aren't going to catch up to them. Look how they were nearly on the brink of death just getting to the 3ER. I don't really know where they think they're gonna go now.

Archived