The End of Summer, Winter is coming.

ThatGuyAl

You have no idea... (this profile is almost older than he was!).

Honestly, I love the series but the lack of presence of the direwolves hurts (where was Ghost when Jon rode out, actually where has Ghost been full stop - I'm starting to think Demi Moore is involved;) 

As far as I know GRRM said the finding of the wolves was the birth of the story, I really hope the books do them more justice.

And I guess a part of me was still hoping Bran would eventually ride Summer into battle - guess not :(

*bowl*

So awful and pointless for Summer to die that way. The direwolves shouldn't be expendable plot devices - why can't we have the fire-welding rider AND Summer? Because, tension? They want us to be worrying over how Bran and Meera can possibly survive without Hodor (he who shall be missed) and Summer? Bah! 

I have to believe that they're more important in the books. I can handle losing them in the show if the book respects them more. I understand budget constraints but geez Louise! WHHHYYYYY?! 

Hats off to kid Hodor. The actor played that scene incredibly well. I really felt that he was horrified by what he saw in the weird time-warp connection.

I remember hearing about a lack of wolves due to budget reasons back in the beginning but I sincerely doubt that is reason today; and I wouldn't even suggest its a poor allocation of (now larger) resources.

No sadly, I think it worse. I fear they simply don't find the wolves cool enough...

I really hope that Summer lasts longer in the books.  If Bran is paralleling the Last Hero's story like I think he is, Summer will be the last one he loses not among the first.  That said, the books do have someone else who could die in a similar way that the show doesn't, so it could have been their attempt to preserve the tone of the scene.

10 hours ago, WinterCloak said:

So awful and pointless for Summer to die that way. The direwolves shouldn't be expendable plot devices - why can't we have the fire-welding rider AND Summer? Because, tension? They want us to be worrying over how Bran and Meera can possibly survive without Hodor (he who shall be missed) and Summer? Bah! 

I have to believe that they're more important in the books. I can handle losing them in the show if the book respects them more. I understand budget constraints but geez Louise! WHHHYYYYY?! 

Hats off to kid Hodor. The actor played that scene incredibly well. I really felt that he was horrified by what he saw in the weird time-warp connection.

I thought the same way, that kid killed it and amplify my emotional state in the moment. Just tragic, absolutely tragic

11 hours ago, WinterCloak said:

I assume that the idea of having Summer stand fast was to buy Bran, Meera, Hodor and Leaf time to escape. But what the f**** good does it do for a direwolf to stagedive into a flock of World War Z super zombies?!? He/she (can't remember what gender?) didn't even stand a chance, we all knew that! And what, Summer took down one wight before getting torn apart? That's like having Barristan the Bold die in an ally! Scr** y** D&D!! 

2 minutes ago, Andros Sotherton said:

I assume that the idea of having Summer stand fast was to buy Bran, Meera, Hodor and Leaf time to escape. But what the f**** good does it do for a direwolf to stagedive into a flock of World War Z super zombies?!? He/she (can't remember what gender?) didn't even stand a chance, we all knew that! And what, Summer took down one wight before getting torn apart? That's like having Barristan the Bold die in an ally! Screw you D&D!! 

Agree 1000% on that. Some legendary characters get shafted on their deaths in the show

I think what a lot of you are failing to realize is that in the end, Summer is still just an animal. A smart one, mind you, but still just an animal.

Summer was doing what any big dog would do in the event that their owner is threatened: stand up tho the threat and attack it to try and save their owner. In this case it was a futile attempt as there were simply too many wights.

You also have to remember that the direwolves are difficult to do, and not because of budget. They have to film real wolves against a green screen and then blend them into the scene. 

1 minute ago, WingedShadow said:

I think what a lot of you are failing to realize is that in the end, Summer is still just an animal. A smart one, mind you, but still just an animal.

Summer was doing what any big dog would do in the event that their owner is threatened: stand up tho the threat and attack it to try and save their owner. In this case it was a futile attempt as there were simply too many wights.

You also have to remember that the direwolves are difficult to do, and not because of budget. They have to film real wolves against a green screen and then blend them into the scene. 

They have already been doing it for quite some time so it can't be any harder for them now than before. And I don't know if you've ever had a dog but one loner would never in its right mind attack a flock of other beasts. 

21 minutes ago, Andros Sotherton said:

They have already been doing it for quite some time so it can't be any harder for them now than before. And I don't know if you've ever had a dog but one loner would never in its right mind attack a flock of other beasts. 

It's the same amount of difficulty to do now. It's still a difficult process.

I've had several dogs. And they would/would have protect me in any situation.

You're missing the point anyhow. Direwolves are obviously bigger than dogs, and probably feel like they could take on larger threats. Like a lion or cougar feels it can take on or charge at big threats. But they still are similar to dogs in a sense, as they are large wolves. 

19 hours ago, WingedShadow said:

It's the same amount of difficulty to do now. It's still a difficult process.

I've had several dogs. And they would/would have protect me in any situation.

You're missing the point anyhow. Direwolves are obviously bigger than dogs, and probably feel like they could take on larger threats. Like a lion or cougar feels it can take on or charge at big threats. But they still are similar to dogs in a sense, as they are large wolves. 

That's my point, if it's just as difficult now as it has been then there is no reason not to do it. 

I still believe that, yes, direwolves are smart and they are big. But as it says on the wiki: 'The interaction between the skinchanger's and animal's mind will influence both personalities.' And I don't believe Bran to be the hasty one to rush into a fight he would loose. And you say that your dogs would protect you, even in the situation where you wheren't there? Because Bran had already left with Hodor when Summer made his stand. If you/Bran flee, why would your dog/Summer stay? I see your point but I still believe that it was an irrational move by D&D. 

2 hours ago, Andros Sotherton said:

That's my point, if it's just as difficult now as it has been then there is no reason not to do it. 

I still believe that, yes, direwolves are smart and they are big. But as it says on the wiki: 'The interaction between the skinchanger's and animal's mind will influence both personalities.' And I don't believe Bran to be the hasty one to rush into a fight he would loose. And you say that your dogs would protect you, even in the situation where you wheren't there? Because Bran had already left with Hodor when Summer made his stand. If you/Bran flee, why would your dog/Summer stay? I see your point but I still believe that it was an irrational move by D&D. 

Bran isn't, but Summer, who in this situation is acting like a protective and rather large dog, would get between their owner and whatever threat  is trying to attack. They would stay even if I/Bran had fled because they're going to want to try and stop whatever threat is there.  Summer is not a chihuahua or anything, he's rather big, and like comparably sized animals(lions  cougars, other big cats) they think/believe they can take on larger threats or rush into larger groups of creatures. 

On 5/24/2016 at 5:51 AM, Señor de la Tormenta said:

If they have to be gone is all right. But I hate how D&D write them off as red shirts. Summer went down by a bunch of creepy zombies, doing nothing. And shaggy of screen.

And thats on them, since we ve seen how grey wind went down in the books and how he did in the soap opera.

Agreed.  I think part of it is that the POV nature of the books combined with the warging capabilities of the Stark children bring the wolves in as real characters.  There are clear parallels between the wolves and their respective Stark.  It's just more subtlety and nuance than I think the show is interested/capable of showing.  That's the charitable answer.  

I read another poster (not sure who unfortunately) say that Lady was the death of honor/chivalry, and the death of Summer is a pretty obvious statement that Winter is on its way.  It helps her death go down easier, but I still thought how it was shown was weak.  Shaggydog I got nothing for symbolism.  That was just lame.

I too was bummed that Summer died.  But unlike others, I feel it was a believable death.  That's what that wolf would have done in that situation.  Would have stood it's ground, gnashed it's teeth and charged in.  Instinctively.  It was a big moment after all.  Helped save his life that delay if you recall..

Plus the symbolism they surely were going for summer/winter.

I do hope Ghost stays with Jon for the series.  Give us that at least!  

6 hours ago, HellasLEAF said:

Plus the symbolism they surely were going for summer/winter.

I think you're giving D&D to much credit. After all, these are the guys who once said "Themes are for eighth-grade book reports".

Besides, if they would have gone for that (admittedly) powerful metaphor, Summers death would've been somewhat more prominent. Now you could've almost missed it, if you weren't paying attention for 5 freaking seconds. No built-up, no climax, nothing. It's like Tywin would've just died from falling down the stairs, all we'd heard was a short cracking sound and then everybody would've said "Oh, okay" and've gone on with their regular lifes. Even Balon Greyjoys death did him more justice.

Archived