The End of Summer, Winter is coming.

ThatGuyAl

12 hours ago, Marco van Panter said:

I think you're giving D&D to much credit. After all, these are the guys who once said "Themes are for eighth-grade book reports".

Besides, if they would have gone for that (admittedly) powerful metaphor, Summers death would've been somewhat more prominent. Now you could've almost missed it, if you weren't paying attention for 5 freaking seconds. No built-up, no climax, nothing. It's like Tywin would've just died from falling down the stairs, all we'd heard was a short cracking sound and then everybody would've said "Oh, okay" and've gone on with their regular lifes. Even Balon Greyjoys death did him more justice.

It sounds like you have an emotional attachment to this animal.  Which I get.  But it's just a fact of the show that they have no quit embraced these animals as characters in the way the books have.  I will say again.  Summer died defending it's master.  It's actions did in fact, impact the saving of Bran.  It was not for nothing.  

Maybe you needed more screen time there.  I can understand that point.  But I am failing to see the complaints regarding this animals actions and it's death.  Also comparing show Summer (bit character/animal) to show Tywin Lannister (head of house Lannister/prominent in many seasons).  Disagree.  

I thought Bran named him Summer because winter was coming. It was suppsoed to be hopefuæ and symbolic, so Summer being killed off because winter is coming seems to achieve the opposite to me. 

Of course the real reason is probably budget related, in which case I hope one of the dragons is killed off this season, both because I'm sick of the "all the fan favorites will get their very own dragon" theories and because people tend to overestimate them.

I think Summer's end in the books is fairly similar. We should be worried about the sword since the horse and the dog have died. The sword seems to have a pretty awful death. . .

First, I am SO glad that I'm not the only one who was affected by Summer's death.  It felt cheap and ridiculous.  Here I was thinking he was going to bide some time and then ride out behind them, and then he gets swarmed and all you hear are his horrible cries.

On 5/26/2016 at 5:40 AM, Señor de la Tormenta said:

By the way, summer is by far the best wolf in the books.

Summer and Ghost have always been portrayed as different than the other direwolves in the books. Summer has always been smarter, more perceptive, and strangely contemplative.

These direwolves are not dogs.  They aren't even normal wolves.  They are special because of their connection to the Stark children.

I honestly don't think GRRM will kill Summer like that.  I think Summer has a long life with Bran ahead of him.

And Nymeria will be reunited with Arya at some point.  Maybe Arya and Nym will ban together with Nym's giant wolf pack and do some serious damage to the Others and their army when they come down to the Riverlands.

But again, this is the show, and yes - the wolves have never been portrayed as anything special other than being huge.  

Archived