Spiral pattern of stones around the weirwood tree

Charles Stuart

Anyone else notice that the symbol the stones were arranged in around the tree where the Night's King was created was pretty similar if not identical to the spiraling symbol the White walkers and wights left the bodies of the Night's Watch in after the battle at the fist of first men back in season 3? Image link below for the season 3 episode and havent been able to find any images for this last episode but the stones were organised around the tree in a pretty similar if not identical manner from what I noticed.

http://i.imgur.com/Z8GCg2I.jpg

Thoughts?

On 05/23/2016 at 5:56 AM, Charles Stuart said:

Anyone else notice that the symbol the stones were arranged in around the tree where the Night's King was created was pretty similar if not identical to the spiraling symbol the White walkers and wights left the bodies of the Night's Watch in after the battle at the fist of first men back in season 3? Image link below for the season 3 episode and havent been able to find any images for this last episode but the stones were organised around the tree in a pretty similar if not identical manner from what I noticed.

Thoughts?

I was just about to post something to this effect. I've been wondering about this pattern for several years now. Two qiestions come out of this.

Did the Nights King (TV show) learn (steal) his powers from the COTF.

What was he conjuring up on the Fist of the First Men.

Speaking of which I always wondered what were the First Men doing so far north of the Wall.

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 0:56 AM, Charles Stuart said:

Thoughts?

D&D stated in the Inside the Episode segment that this pattern was an intentional throwback to the spiral patter from S3. To what end? Not sure.

3 minutes ago, 3EyedRaven said:

I just confused myself. The man in the tv show being turned into the first white walker couldn't be the NK, because he supposedly was a lord commander. Ahh!

The Night King in the show is the Head White Walker. The Night's King in the books was the 13th Lord Commander of the NW. They are two unrelated characters who do not exist in one another's mediums.

I think the Night King we have on the Show is a different character than the Night's King of the books. You can't have both being the same guy, timelines do not fit. IIRC, even Martin pointed out their names are different.

Probably the Show wanted to simplify the whole White Walker thing, and made the Night King their leader since the beginning. Just my two cents.

Yea the Night King in the show is not the same as the Night's King in the books. 

They just stole the name because it sounded cool, and it's now confusing people everywhere. 

The guy in the show is just the head white walker dude, who was turned by the CotF into what he now is. He's unrelated to anything Night's Watchy. 

48 minutes ago, Lordsteve666 said:

Yea the Night King in the show is not the same as the Night's King in the books. 

They just stole the name because it sounded cool, and it's now confusing people everywhere. 

The guy in the show is just the head white walker dude, who was turned by the CotF into what he now is. He's unrelated to anything Night's Watchy. 

:agree:

That's too bad. It would have been cool to use the Night's King background as a former LC on the show. They even shied away from showing Bloodraven was a former LC of the watch. I get that they only have so many episodes left and don't want to derail the story with any more concepts than needed, but it still seems like a waste.

1 hour ago, Grayce Hornwood said:

The Night King in the show is the Head White Walker. The Night's King in the books was the 13th Lord Commander of the NW. They are two unrelated characters who do not exist in one another's mediums.

This isn't quite true. The Night's King and his story is mentioned in the DVD extras which recount the history of Westeros as presented in the TV show, meaning that Night's King, the 13th Lord Commander, still existed in the show's timeline. And whether there's any connection between him and the Night King remains to be seen -- he may have had delusions of grandeur and used the title of himself under the impression that it's original holder was no longer around, for example.

22 hours ago, SuicideSheep said:

The CotF used that spiral pattern for ancient rituals.

You can learn more from here.

2:52

Interesting, now just have to sit and wait to see what the significance of the spiral is since the show creators clearly added that spiral made up of body parts after the battle at the fist of the first men for some reason which links to the creation of the show's night King. Can't be linked to raising wights since all NK has to do in order to do that is raising his arms as witnessed at hardholme and can't be linked to creating a white walker as that only requires the NK's touch by the looks of it going by craster's baby.

hopefully the symbols do have some significance and aren't just scenes added for no real reason.

On 26 May 2016 at 8:58 AM, MtnLion said:

The spiral appeared first in season one, episode one, when the Night's Watch members saw the wildlings encampment that had been attacked. 

That wasn't a spiral but a different symbol instead 

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQyL5lPWnbxaMV_l9z5aRgygDF-qmSBdSPOb42nfpJQpYjkmETTtKDOZ1KLog

Not sure about this.

Has anybody drawn any implications about two different actors playing the Night's King?

Can we deduce that the NK is a title, passed down the lineage, like Lord's Commander of the NW? Jon came face to face with the current one whereas the one that marked Bran is from the past - possibly the original NK, the 13th Commander of the NW.

Bran witnessed a guy being sacrificed at the Weirwood in the summer, then in his next visit it was winter and the tree was dead. Instead of children there were wights and WW, including the NK - same place, same guy but after the onset of Winter. He could well be a Stark.

Archived