When you read the books...

jontargaryan

Mostly it was the same, but strangely not Arya. Jon and Robb were also a fair bit different

Actually now that I think about it each was colored quite differently, but the faces were similar. Not necessarily their mannerisms and such though

It's hard sometimes to get the show image out your head, I try with Tyrion as much as possible to envision the books version of him but Peter almost always pops in to my head. Certain show characters like Sansa I think are a good fit so I just let that image stand in my head. Joffrey is different though, he looked very different so I always force myself to try and picture the books version. 

Yeah. Its easier to name who DOESNT match the show impressions in my mind. Dany actually doesnt look like Emilia Clarke in my mind. (and her eyebrows are not fucken black!) Asha doesnt look like her show counterpart either. (and neither does Euron) And maybe a few others that just arent coming to mind right now.

But everyone else looks like their show selves in my head when i read. Right down to guys like Thoros, Gendry, Hot Pie, and Edd.

Robb, Daenerys, Cersei, Asha/Yara, Daario, Tormund, and Mance are different. I also picture a more burnt Sandor Clegane and a younger version of Jon Snow (picture clean baby face Harington).

Also the newly introduced characters: Euron, BR, Doran, Sand Snakes, Aeron..

I also picture season 1's Gregor Clegane when reading the books. He's the scariest and most fit for the role imho by far.

56 minutes ago, Brandon Martell said:

Robb, Daenerys, Cersei, Asha/Yara, Daario, Tormund, and Mance are different. I also picture a more burnt Sandor Clegane and a younger version of Jon Snow (picture clean baby face Harington).

Also the newly introduced characters: Euron, BR, Doran, Sand Snakes, Aeron..

I also picture season 1's Gregor Clegane when reading the books. He's the scariest and most fit for the role imho by far.

See, my in-head Clegane is so much more imposing than any of the show's. A huge giant, square-jawed and bald, and always scowling.

16 minutes ago, apovsic said:

I never picture book characters in my head. Does this makes me weird?

Kind of weird. So when you read, you don't actually imagine any of the events in the book as they happen? With those events come people, and thus faces and features. 

Especially when these characters features are explicitly described in detail in the text. "He was fair of skin with sand-colored hair, etc."

Just now, StarkofWinterfell said:

Kind of weird. So when you read, you don't actually imagine any of the events in the book as they happen? With those events come people, and thus faces and features. 

Especially when these characters features are explicitly described in detail in the text. "He was fair of skin with sand-colored hair, etc."

No, I don't imagine events. I really don't know how to explain this. I have some abstract idea of the event but no picture of it.  Don' know how to tell it other way.

Or for example a character: when I read Eddard Stark, I do not mentally get a picture of Ned, but some kind of abstract idea of him.

It's really hard to explain:blink: 

Just now, apovsic said:

No, I don't imagine events. I really don't know how to explain this. I have some abstract idea of the event but no picture of it.  Don' know how to tell it other way.

Or for example a character: when I read Eddard Stark, I do not mentally get a picture of Ned, but some kind of abstract idea of him.

It's really hard to explain:blink: 

So when someone says "King's Landing" or "Winterfell" what do you think of? By your own admission, nothing.

1 hour ago, StarkofWinterfell said:

So when someone says "King's Landing" or "Winterfell" what do you think of? By your own admission, nothing.

Sorry, didn't see it earlier. So when someone says Winterfall, I don't imagine a picture of Winterfell, but some kind of a random list of what Winterfell is ("Home of Starks", "Goodswood", "Maester Luwin"). Just this list is not written, but composed of "ideas".

@Ser Walton: Nice to see I'm not the only one :)

I think that some for characters it is impossible the identification with HBO actors.

HBO Rob: too old (even the character itself is completely different)

HBO Jon: too old

HBO Jaime: Way too old (oddly I don't feel the age difference in case of Cersei)

Novels Bob: Way too fat (I imagine it more like Peter Jackson Gibli)

HBO Dany: too old, brown eyebrows, bigger lips, completely different in my head

Novels Tyrion: Way uglier

32 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Since I read the books after watching season 1,pretty much all the main characters. Some characters like victarion, Arianne, etc. Which were omitted in the show are of my own imagination.

Same case here, which is a pity. In my re-read I'm planning to collect a bunch of fan art of as many characters as I can and try to look at the drawings that resemble more the books' descriptions of them every time I read their names. Not very hopeful that it will work, though hahahah

Archived