Bran the Broken man and 1000th Lord Commander of the NW

Marada78

Poor Edd, but when you are number 999 you somehow know your days are counted.

This is my guess for this episode.

Also when Bran takes the oath I think Sansa or Jon will say to him that Rickon is bond to die and he is the Heir to Winterfell. So he will talk about his visions, including ToJ.

The showrunners like for the ep title to have multiple meanings. Yes, Bran is literally a "broken man," so it might apply to him. It could also apply to Sandor Clegane, who has been broken both physically and mentally and is now a champion of the faith who will challenge his (un) brother in Cersei's trial. 

Or perhaps it's a play on "The Flayed Man," the banners of House Bolton, and Ramsay is going to be broken -- we can hope, right?

Alternately, Theon, Jorah, Varys, Loras and many others could be described as "broken."

septon meribald makes one of my favorite speeches about "the broken man" to brienne. so I think the broken man will allude to Sandor. but since D&d do have that track record for their titles holding multiple meanings i agree with below in terms of possible characters. think Bran, theon,  jon and tyrion (his love for cripples bastards and BROKEN things) are also highly likely

22 hours ago, LadyAlisande said:

The showrunners like for the ep title to have multiple meanings. Yes, Bran is literally a "broken man," so it might apply to him. It could also apply to Sandor Clegane, who has been broken both physically and mentally and is now a champion of the faith who will challenge his (un) brother in Cersei's trial. 

Or perhaps it's a play on "The Flayed Man," the banners of House Bolton, and Ramsay is going to be broken -- we can hope, right?

Alternately, Theon, Jorah, Varys, Loras and many others could be described as "broken."

4 hours ago, ImNoSer said:

can the lord commander of the nights watch actually just appoint someone in his place? or is edd just a temporary LC. I thought they had to vote on whos LC.

Well there's only about 40-50 men left so having an election seems kind of pointless. And Edd's the most logical choice since he's been through pretty much the same shit Jon has and knows what's coming. I really hope he doesn't die, but it isn't setting up to be too good for him.

I think Bran's newfound powers will be wasted if he just remains at the wall.  Hopefully he winds up as the BR, Varys, of this generation.  I can't think of a more qualified master of whispers. As for the NW, if the wall falls and man eventually wins the War of Dawn vs the WW's, I don't think there will be a nights watch or another Lord Commander. Hopefully Edd will be able to flee with Bran and Meera to Winterfell when the wall does fall. 

57 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

And of all generations past and future.

Some think Bran is actually Bran the Builder and Brynden Rivers...  Could he actually let's say from his "future Weirwood tree" go back in time and Warg into Bran the builder and Brynden and live their lives???  Time travel mixed with warging is a mind trip. Lol. 

The titles come from the books, like last episode blood of my blood is how a khal refers to his blood riders, and dany gave her speech taking everyone as a bloodrider, the door obv comes from hodor which d&d said comes from the books, so broken man should refer to Sandor.  Also, what vow would Bran be saying?  He's not joining the Nights Watch.

Why would Bran join the NW? He's the eldest surviving male Stark, so he's the legitimate King in the North. Sansa is a Stark, Jon Snow was raised to be a Stark, Rickon is a Stark, Arya is a Stark. Do you think any of them will claim that ahead of Bran?

I suspect the title refers to Edmure and Theon, Edmure because of his captivity and the relevance of the Freys threatening to hang him every morning, and Theon because Yara is trying to get him to be brave again but he's still too much Reek.

Archived