Dear Board : A thread for small things not worthy of a thread of their own.

This is a thread for all the small little things you find interesting or think members of this community need to know, but really are not worthy of a dedicated thread.  We have one for Questions. 

Dear Board,   

I would just like you all to know that I have not had a sex change, nor was I in Manchester last night.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-36354361

I have found a grocery store here on this tiny little island in the middle of the Atlantic that stocks Shropshire Blue cheese from back in the UK.  I am very happy.  Blessed are the cheesemakers.

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 8:22 AM, Gears of the Beast said:

This is what a pod of Sperm Whales looks like when they're sleeping. Unsettling and oddly majestic.

Awww, how sweet!   :love:   That's quite an accomplishment, to get a picture of them that way.

But 12 minutes?  That's not nearly enough, IMO. 

Good a thread as any, I suppose.

About six months back, as a matter of routine, the post office sent out customer survey forms for a route that had changed hands.  Basically 'how is the new guy doing?'  USPS sends out a *lot* of this kind of stuff; most of you have probably gotten some at one point or another and dropped it straight into the trash can. 

But this guy had some (inherited) issues to work through, so a few of the people on his route actually called the number on the form.  Which caused even more problems.

It was an old form, with an obsolete number on it that had been sold years earlier - to a sex line.

I get chills when I brush my teeth, and when I see (and/or hear) other people brush their teeth, in movies and the like. Am I the only one who gets that?

What gives you chills?

17 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

Awww, how sweet!   :love:   That's quite an accomplishment, to get a picture of them that way.

But 12 minutes?  That's not nearly enough, IMO. 

Yes the footage must be extremely rare, just consider how big the ocean is and how little they sleep. It was only discovered in 2008 that Sperm Whales (or any Cetacean) sleep at all. At the time the only known way in which Cetaceans rested was by shutting off one hemisphere of their brain at a time while using the other hemisphere to swim/breath and stuff. 

8 hours ago, lacuna said:

I get chills when I brush my teeth, and when I see (and/or hear) other people brush their teeth, in movies and the like. Am I the only one who gets that?

What gives you chills?

I always get chills when I'm getting a haircut.  The barber is always like "are you ok?" and I have to explain that it's fine, I don't know why that's happening either. 

9 hours ago, lacuna said:

What gives you chills?

Bellybuttons. Seriously, those things are just weird, and I have developed a selective blindness so I do not see them on shirtless people. 

I do not like weddings. I do not enjoy them, people. I do not enjoy very small falafels and lots of things featuring aragula and getting unintentionally tipsy on a patio overlooking a highway (frankly, I somewhat enjoyed the highway.) I particularly am not fond of stilted conversations with people I haven't seen in five years and being dragged back to periods of my life that are pretty solidly dead.

You do not need me at you wedding, friend I no longer actually speak to because we've had a falling out, but mostly because our lives have nothing in common any more, socially, life-stageily and increasingly geographically. I do not need to be at your wedding. We do not need this small mutual irritant of a rubber band of guilt and nostalgia stretched between us in the form of you feeling a need to invite, and me feeling a need to attend, else it's some kind of bridge-burning.

I do not, however, blame you. Nor me. I blame the institution of the big wedding and it's associated signifiers of attendance and non-attendance, which both of us were trapped by residual affection and a decade of shared history into politely but pointlessly observing. 

In short, if weddings were sensibly sized affairs in this country, and carried sensible social and emotional cachet in general, we would not have found ourselves in this situation. You could have not invited me, and it would have meant nothing, and I could have not gone, and it would have meant nothing, and our friendship could have continued on to it's gradual decline or someday resurrection without this new stumbling block of an awkward encounter involving high heels and small sandwiches which is so staggeringly unrepresentative of either of us. 

That's all. 

8 minutes ago, Datepalm said:

I do not like weddings. I do not enjoy them, people. I do not enjoy very small falafels and lots of things featuring aragula and getting unintentionally tipsy on a patio overlooking a highway (frankly, I somewhat enjoyed the highway.) I particularly am not fond of stilted conversations with people I haven't seen in five years and being dragged back to periods of my life that are pretty solidly dead.

You do not need me at you wedding, friend I no longer actually speak to because we've had a falling out, but mostly because our lives have nothing in common any more, socially, life-stageily and increasingly geographically. I do not need to be at your wedding. We do not need this small mutual irritant of a rubber band of guilt and nostalgia stretched between us in the form of you feeling a need to invite, and me feeling a need to attend, else it's some kind of bridge-burning.

I do not, however, blame you. Nor me. I blame the institution of the big wedding and it's associated signifiers of attendance and non-attendance, which both of us were trapped by residual affection and a decade of shared history into politely but pointlessly observing. 

In short, if weddings were sensibly sized affairs in this country, and carried sensible social and emotional cachet in general, we would not have found ourselves in this situation. You could have not invited me, and it would have meant nothing, and I could have not gone, and it would have meant nothing, and our friendship could have continued on to it's gradual decline or someday resurrection without this new stumbling block of an awkward encounter involving high heels and small sandwiches which is so staggeringly unrepresentative of either of us. 

That's all. 

Preach!

14 minutes ago, Datepalm said:

In short, if weddings were sensibly sized affairs in this country, and carried sensible social and emotional cachet in general, we would not have found ourselves in this situation.

Out of curiosity, what would you consider to be a sensible size for a wedding?  My wife and I wanted to have a small wedding, but in the end it was ~65 people, which is definitely more than I envisioned.  I would however, say there were at most six "socially expected of us" invites, which seems pretty good to me. 

10 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Out of curiosity, what would you consider to be a sensible size for a wedding?  My wife and I wanted to have a small wedding, but in the end it was ~65 people, which is definitely more than I envisioned.  I would however, say there were at most six "socially expected of us" invites, which seems pretty good to me. 

I think by many standards that is pretty small. I've attended weddings that topped 150, and some people think that's modest!

150!?! Lol. This one was about 150, which puts it at the very smallest end of what might be considered within the social norm in Israel. Any smaller than that, and it's something strange and notable. 3-400 is standard, 500+ not unusual. And that's in the secular, Jewish sector. I've been to Arab weddings of 1000 plus people, which I always find just bizarre (in terms of the need for my presence, I mean, being as I don't like weddings. If you're someone who does, by all mean), but inevitably the bride/groom (whoever i'm connected to) will somehow find me and note my presence and tell me how important it is I showed up, in this crowd and yup, I have to go to the next one as well. 

My parent's wedding had 11 people, including them, which I regard as reasonable. Basically goes to my argument of seeing a wedding as a private rather than public affair. Only people who need to be there...should be there.  I suppose 65 is fine in the sense that you can have a good relationship with someone, or be an old but distant friend, but not read anything whatsoever into not being in the closest 65 people to them, especially taking into account family. 

ETA  - or 32.5 closest people, assuming a 0 level of overlap in the two parties social circles. Even better!

10 hours ago, lacuna said:

What gives you chills?

Just the thought of someone pulling a wooden popsicle stick between clenched teeth.  That one's stuck with me through my whole life.  Brrrrrrr! 

Not chills, but using a q-tip to clean my ears. Right ear is fine, but left ear gives chills and usually makes me cough. Strange as fuck.

Aside from that, nothing really-- except even the thought of say, pinching a cotton ball between my index and thumbing and rubbing/twisting it against it's own fabric, that shit gives me the heebie jeebies. Just did, right now writing about it. 

2 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

Just the thought of someone pulling a wooden popsicle stick between clenched teeth.  That one's stuck with me through my whole life.  Brrrrrrr! 

Your post just gave me chills... THen I licked my teeth and got chills again.

17 hours ago, lacuna said:

I also get the same when watching some brush their teeth on film/TV, although it's not as bad as watching people getting injected on film/TV, even if it's just meant to be a regular innoculation or something like that.

Archived