Dear Board : A thread for small things not worthy of a thread of their own.

Random thought:

What do vampires do in the summer?  Sunrise is 6:07am and sunset is 8:08pm where I live (those are today's times-Google is my friend).  Depending on which lore you take as cannon they can be up and moving about during the day just not in direct sunlight. So do they get up at like 6-6:30 and just hang out until dark or do they 'sleep' until the sun goes down?

On 7/27/2016 at 8:42 PM, Tears of Lys said:

I think regret **can** be a good thing, especially if it makes you alter your future behavior so that the regretted action never occurs again.  In other situations, like a one-time occurrence that you know will never come up again, it's a pretty useless emotion.  I guess with this latter example I'm thinking about auditioning for this singing group and making a TOTAL ASS out of myself.  I don't regret it, because it makes for a pretty funny story to retell.  :lol: 

There was one situation where I slept with this douchebag for no good reason, but because I didn't know how to get out of it so I figured I may as well go through with it.  Sigh.  Lousy sex too.  I cringed about that one for a long while.  Do I regret that one?  Sorta, so it fits the "good thing" example of regret.

I also had a youthful brush with teenage idiocy wherein I convinced some friends to lip sync WASP's School Daze in a high school 'talent' show.  This was based on a rebellious love of heavy metal and a Halloween wig of black and white.  Luckily my friends chickened out so there is no evidence of this plan and no need for regret.  :)

Sleeping with douchebags...don't get me started.  I've done the 'I'm too polite to tell you to fuck off' hookup and the 'what the hell, I've got nothing better to do' hookup.  The only one I could say I truly regret is the 'obnoxiously persistent, preys on drunk girls, part of my social circle one-minute-wonder.'  But still, they were all lessons I needed to learn one way or the other. 

Of course, just because I can identify my own poor decisions doesn't stop me from repeating them.

Today I wonder about PoC and Catholicism.  In the autobiography of Malcolm X he explains how once he was radicalized into the Nation of Islam he began to appreciate the travesty of being called by a last name which was a direct result of his ancestors' enslavement and how he chose to adopt the surname X since he couldn't know what his real name should be.

I have a couple of friends from different cultures who were both raised Catholic because of colonialism.  I want to ask why they would cleave to such beliefs but you just can't ask such things.  It is an implied judgment.  I don't necessarily want to judge people for believing what they were taught to believe from early childhood.  Nevertheless, it seems like an adult would question such indoctrinated beliefs if not reject them outright.  But I can't ask about it so I don't.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I noticed for the first time last week the curious "green light" crossings in Trafalgar Square and for some reason it made me smile 

eta: Ahhhh, I looked it up and I was out of London when they were changed. So I haven't been walking around with my eyes shut for two years. Good to know!

I stumbled on the horny squirrel in "The Great British Bake Off"

It made my week... Like, seriously, I am in the "Remember the squirrel" phase :D 

So, if you are feeling blue, horny squirrels are just the thing you need. And you can find it in British baking competitions...

14 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I noticed for the first time last week the curious "green light" crossings in Trafalgar Square and for some reason it made me smile 

eta: Ahhhh, I looked it up and I was out of London when they were changed. So I haven't been walking around with my eyes shut for two years. Good to know!

The exact same thing happened to me last year on the crossing by the station Schottentor! :D Only I realised they had changed them a few days before, so I have not been walking with my eyes shut for about two/three months. ;)

Here, they are both green and red walkers that are special now. They were meant to be temporary, but then the some initiative fought for them and they kept them. They are lovely.

On 7/27/2016 at 8:42 PM, Tears of Lys said:

I had that problem with it for the loooongest time.   I hated that fuzzy feeling so much that I much preferred feeling all stopped up.  Then I **had** to take it around a year and a half ago - no more fuzzy feeling.  Strange.

And I can't stand having to show my driver's license when buying cold pills.  It raises my blood pressure (I think) each time it happens and I feel like telling off the clerk, but I come to my senses and just stew about it in silence. 

:leaving: 

Sorry I missed this over the summer.  It's allergy season here, so I dusted out this old chestnut and brought it to the chemistry department.  There's no line for Meth and I don't have to show my license.

I've had a bad case of cellulitis for over a month now. I've been going to the doctor repeatedly to get this treated. I was on antibiotics for three weeks.  The doctor says the infection is gone but my leg is still inflamed and is constantly draining blood/pus/plasma. They wrapped it up on Tuesday in zinc bandages and then an ace  bandage overall. By Tuesday night the bandage had rolled down past where my cellulitis was at its worst. I go back to the doctor tomorrow. I'm no longer feeling feverish or having chills or breaking out in major sweating, but whenever I stand up I feel very lightheaded and the longer I'm up (like more than a minute) my vision starts blacking out around the eyes my stomach starts hurting very bad and I start feeling very dizzy and faint.

Over the last 2 months (since the first week of August) I've lost 73 lbs. I feel like I've cheated doing it this way though. But I'm resolved to use this as a springboard for when I feel better to continue eating healthier and adding exercise to my daily routine.

Adderall: there were several reports that adderall use has migrated from students to professionals.  I haven't noticed it but just like PEDs in sports, some people will feel they need to take it to not be left behind. 

My random thought: I cannot recognize famous people out of context.  There's a Chicago Bull in my condo building plus a couple of BlackHawks, plus at least one famous actress who I see regularly at our building gym with her trainer.  I had no idea who they were until it was pointed out to me.  I even chatted sports in the elevators with the pro players at various times and didn't realize that their reference to their team or playing a game tomorrow night was anything other than a pick-up game somewhere.  I never recognize people out of context.  My wife thinks I must be on the autism spectrum.  

Instructions for tablets: "One per day, with or without food."

If it doesn't matter whether it's accompanied by food or not, why bother mentioning it? "One per day, whilst wearing or not wearing socks." "One per day, when sunny, cloudy or raining."

3 hours ago, Arkhangel said:

If it doesn't matter whether it's accompanied by food or not, why bother mentioning it? "One per day, whilst wearing or not wearing socks." "One per day, when sunny, cloudy or raining."

Cuz so many medicines do say "Must take with food" or "Must take on empty stomach" this way doctors and pharmacists save themselves trouble from people asking, "Can I eat with this or not?"

It's not like any medicine has said "Must take while wearing socks" though I have seen directions state "Stay out of sun while on this medication".

5 hours ago, Arkhangel said:

I'd assume because many medications do require they be taken with food (or not), and when dealing with medical instructions to laypersons, probably safer to over  inform than under?

I bought a new notebook, which turned out to be aimed at schoolkids (I guess?) and has an odd little "Amazing facts" (their capitalization, which bothers me) in the back, including the delightful:

In 2004, twin robot geologists names SPIRIT and OPPORTUNITY landed on MARS to explore the surface of the planet. 

Twin robot geologists!

7 hours ago, Datepalm said:

I bought a new notebook, which turned out to be aimed at schoolkids (I guess?) and has an odd little "Amazing facts" (their capitalization, which bothers me) in the back, including the delightful:

In 2004, twin robot geologists names SPIRIT and OPPORTUNITY landed on MARS to explore the surface of the planet. 

Twin robot geologists!

I really need to know which one is actually older.  It's gotta be SPIRIT.

Archived