Dear Board : A thread for small things not worthy of a thread of their own.

Assuming they already possess 118 bananas, I'm going to guess it's a suicide attempt.

The lethal dose of potassium chloride is 2500mgs per kg of body weight in 30 seconds. As I said earlier there is roughly 400mgs of potassium in one decent sized banana. So someone of my weight (51kg/112lbs) would have to eat approx 318 bananas in 30secs to reach the lethal dose of 127,500mgs of potassium!

Question for some of you smarter and/or experiences (with this sort of thing) folks; what can you do with a stolen car registration? 

My wife's car registration was stolen out of her car, along with an old, barely working GPS we don't use anymore. Nothing else, of value or otherwise, seems to be missing. She has called the police and filed a report, and is getting a replacement  registration ASAP. But what can the thief do with just the registration? What should we be on the look out for, and what should we do to protect ourselves?

On 11/23/2016 at 0:17 PM, Datepalm said:

Did they say what for?

If I had to guess it was for an ultimate frisbee tournament.  Bananas are the go to tourney provided snack food for ultimate.  Its as ultimate as driving a Subaru.

I once had a friend who read that you can get high from banana peels. He then purchased like 40 of them and hung them around his apartment and waited for them to dry out over a few weeks. I don't know how or what he did to smoke them but in the end it shockingly didn't work. I wish I was joking about this. 

On 11/25/2016 at 10:53 PM, R'hllor's nasty lobster said:

Question for some of you smarter and/or experiences (with this sort of thing) folks; what can you do with a stolen car registration? 

My wife's car registration was stolen out of her car, along with an old, barely working GPS we don't use anymore. Nothing else, of value or otherwise, seems to be missing. She has called the police and filed a report, and is getting a replacement  registration ASAP. But what can the thief do with just the registration? What should we be on the look out for, and what should we do to protect ourselves?

Probably depends on whether or not there's any information beyond name, address, license #, and car info.  I doubt they'd be able to use it for any kind of ID fraud.  I've always left a copy of the most recent registration in the glove box of the trucks I've sold on Craigslist and haven't had any issues.  I know in CT to register older vehicles you need a copy of the registration from the previous owner, so I'd assume (perhaps wrongly) that the info on there can't be too valuable in a criminal sense.  

I think even for a utility bill account you need a social security number.

Unrelated, but my neighbor asked me how to get rid of the hiccups and I told him he had to eat 200 bananas in 24 hours.

My sister keeps dropping jokes-which-are-not-jokes about how much of a 'Christmas Nazi' she's going to be this year. She is quite clearly laying the ground, as it were, and I'm feeling like it's more and more likely that we're going to have to have a conversation at some point this holiday about the limits of acceptable control freakitude. She's going to say 'but I warned you it was going to be like this', and I'm going to have to explain that telling someone you're going to behave badly in advance does not absolve you of behaving badly. Premeditated jerkness is still jerkness; all it means is that you knew you were going to do it, and not only did you choose not to try to stop yourself from doing it but you also want other people to be prepared to accommodate your behaviour.

On 11/27/2016 at 8:14 AM, larrytheimp said:

Probably depends on whether or not there's any information beyond name, address, license #, and car info.  I doubt they'd be able to use it for any kind of ID fraud.  I've always left a copy of the most recent registration in the glove box of the trucks I've sold on Craigslist and haven't had any issues.  I know in CT to register older vehicles you need a copy of the registration from the previous owner, so I'd assume (perhaps wrongly) that the info on there can't be too valuable in a criminal sense.  

I think even for a utility bill account you need a social security number.

So, kinda freaky update: after searching around the house, Mrs Lobster is convinced the thief/thieves also took a 'valet key' that was probably in the glove box. She has since filed a 'lost or stolen registration' with the RMV and got a replacement, and had the key chips re-programmed so even with the valet key the ignition wont start.... then apparently last night they got BACK into the car (either via valet key or orginal means) and put the fucking registration back.

Like, what the fuck?! 

16 minutes ago, R'hllor's nasty lobster said:

So, kinda freaky update: after searching around the house, Mrs Lobster is convinced the thief/thieves also took a 'valet key' that was probably in the glove box. She has since filed a 'lost or stolen registration' with the RMV and got a replacement, and had the key chips re-programmed so even with the valet key the ignition wont start.... then apparently last night they got BACK into the car (either via valet key or orginal means) and put the fucking registration back.

Like, what the fuck?! 

Mrs Lobster needs to laugh off the recreational morphine, methinks. Any chance she missed the reg on the first go over?

Just now, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Mrs Lobster need to laugh off the recreational morphine, methinks. Any chance she missed the reg on the first go over?

no. first of all, after the first incident the glove box and console were very ovbiously tossed (neighbot texted us about the trunk and drivers side door being ajar)

i myself went through EVERY SCRAP OF PAPER in that glove box with her after filing the police report... and the thing was left just sitting on top of all the other stuff. 

6 minutes ago, r'hllor's dirtbag lobster said:

no. first of all, after the first incident the glove box and console were very obviously tossed (neighbor texted us about the trunk and drivers side door being ajar)

i myself went through EVERY SCRAP OF PAPER in that glove box with her after filing the police report... and the thing was left just sitting on top of all the other stuff. 

THAT is fucking bizarre. You have a genuine Scooby-Doo mystery on your hands. 

7 hours ago, r'hllor's dirtbag lobster said:

Like, what the fuck?! 

Holy shit that is freaky

Archived