Dear Board : A thread for small things not worthy of a thread of their own.

I'm so relieved! One of my classes is broken into 400 points across 4 "assignments" that are equally weighted. One of those was participation. I only opened my mouth three times over the semester so I was worried about that, but I just found out I got a 90 for participation. I think the rest of the grades should be smooth sailing, and then what is the third and second-to-last semester of my MS degree is complete. I will finish all this stressful BS in the Spring! Very excited :D 

On 12/12/2016 at 1:21 AM, litechick said:

Can a woman be a drag queen? 

I am fairly ignorant about the logistics and definitions but I do enjoy gold lame more than I probably should.  I love sparkly things in general but I feel that I know where to draw the line.  Maybe I don't.

It's a question of taste and When Harry Met Sally taught us that everyone thinks they have good taste and a sense of humor but not everyone does.  So how do you know if you don't have good taste and a sense of humor?  The only evidence is in how the people around us respond to us but then you get mired in societal norms and group think so that's not any help.  Homer Simpson says, "let your freak flag fly!" and that is a comfort.

But still, is 'drag queen' more an aesthetic than a definition or not?  Does biological gender matter in that context?

I have a woman friend who identifies very much as a drag queen.  She has a fairly androgynous presentation most of the time until she is doing drag.  At that time her presentation is WAY hyper feminine.  She'll argue that because most of her paraphernalia and costuming are couture, that her drag is "more tasteful" thank most.  I would pity the person who told her that women can't do drag.

So I'm looking at the various Christmas cards I've received, and at least as far as the kinds with actual pictures of your actual friends go, it occurs to me that I've never gotten one of those from a single person.  So starting to think that custom Christmas cards are a microaggression against the uncommitted.

5 hours ago, mcbigski said:

So I'm looking at the various Christmas cards I've received, and at least as far as the kinds with actual pictures of your actual friends go, it occurs to me that I've never gotten one of those from a single person.  So starting to think that custom Christmas cards are a microaggression against the uncommitted.

Your mail carrier is actually paid to filter Christmas cards from singles out.  I guess the idea is that too many of these selfies of a gal holding a sixteen-ounce Milwaukee's Best Ice or a dude in pajamas posing with his cat start ending up on refrigerators and it's a threat to the status quo.

The horror of this time of year will be all too plain and people will stop making their annual penance to the corporate beasts.

10 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

Your mail carrier is actually paid to filter Christmas cards from singles out.  I guess the idea is that too many of these selfies of a gal holding a sixteen-ounce Milwaukee's Best Ice or a dude in pajamas posing with his cat start ending up on refrigerators and it's a threat to the status quo.

The horror of this time of year will be all too plain and people will stop making their annual penance to the corporate beasts.

does this mean you didn't get my card this year?

On 12/12/2016 at 2:21 AM, litechick said:

Can a woman be a drag queen? 

I am fairly ignorant about the logistics and definitions but I do enjoy gold lame more than I probably should.  I love sparkly things in general but I feel that I know where to draw the line.  Maybe I don't.

It's a question of taste and When Harry Met Sally taught us that everyone thinks they have good taste and a sense of humor but not everyone does.  So how do you know if you don't have good taste and a sense of humor?  The only evidence is in how the people around us respond to us but then you get mired in societal norms and group think so that's not any help.  Homer Simpson says, "let your freak flag fly!" and that is a comfort.

But still, is 'drag queen' more an aesthetic than a definition or not?  Does biological gender matter in that context?

They are called drag kings if it's a woman in male garb.

The last time I paid attention to the drag circuit, biology had become a bit of a controversy. For example, events and contests would be set up that were only for biologocal men in drag as opposed to transgender women performing in women's clothing. Which technically aren't drag queens.

5 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Happy birthday, Risto! :commie:
We only put up our tree yesterday. The tree symbolises New Year as much as it does Christmas for me. If we did not have it on Christmas, at least we can have it on New Year.

Thanks Buck... In my country, Tree is not supposed to be put up until after 25th December :D We, Orthodox like to point out we are different :D

Why are people so willfully stupid when it comes to basic demographics? is the actual reality of the world so at odds with their perceptions? I'm in a lecture with people from a ministry, who are not normally, I assume, complete idiots. (Then again, they're israeli gov employees and apparently invading New Zealand next, so who knows,) and the amount of incredulity, racism, plain poor taste and overwhelming inability to accept some pretty simple statistical measures - like the TFR of Iran, yes, sub-2 for like 15 years now, is something else.

The fact that our government counts on people saving sick children via SMS is truly infuriating me... Yeap, that is how in Serbia children are being treated... People sending humanitarian SMS as a small donations... God, help us all.

I should really know better than to fight with strangers on Facebook, but there was this guy who came into a feminist discussion group and started posting about how feminism is driving global warming and also gun violence and also Trump no really this is what he said and then he turned out to have had this whole thing about running for President himself and moved to China because he couldn't get a girlfriend until he was 29 and the foul PUA blog Roosh V runs said it was easier in the developing world because there are less evil feminists and and and

Urgh. Must. Disengage. Must. Stop. Responding. Who knows how deep this rabbit hole of crazy goes?

Archived