Dear Board : A thread for small things not worthy of a thread of their own.

Have you ever noticed that in movies or TV shows that before  a horse appears there will be some kind of 'horse' noise first?  It's like the showrunners think people need to be warned before hand; "Watch out!  Horse coming!  Watch out!"  Then they have the nosiest horses in the world on screen.  Really, horses don't usually make that much noise.  All that grunting, and nickering and snorting all the time, LOL.  Horses don't need a sound track.

It's silly.

Chills whilst brushing teeth? I've never heard of this. I get chills randomly - and fairly often. I recently got them during one of my final exams for my degree - it was an oral exam with 2 professors - they looked pretty worried! 

As for weddings - I like weddings when I'm related to the bride/ groom. Otherwise they're a bit of a drag. Indian weddings are HUGE. My cousin's wedding easily had about 500 people. I felt awful for him - he didn't know half the people he was talking to. To be fair, they lived in a small-ish city and their family is apparently a fairly popular one so that's why they had so many guests.

They're also *long* - the wedding ceremony itself took place at 12am ( we had been there since about 7pm)  and lasted for about 4 hours ( apparently that was the auspicious time/ date for the ceremony to take place). It's exhausting. 

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 10:29 PM, R'hllors Red Lobster said:

I get chills when I pee sometimes and weddings should all have cocktail hour before the ceremony

Have you had your urine tested lately? (probably not.)  But that happens to me when I have a urinary tract irritation or infection. 

On another note, I've always thought alligators look prehistoric, which is why I want to see them close up and personal (from a safe position, of course.)  Preferably on one of those air boats. 

On a third note, is anyone else fascinated by Xray's avatar of the kitten pawing the screen?  I sometimes stare at it for up to a minute. 

6 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

Have you had your urine tested lately? (probably not.)  But that happens to me when I have a urinary tract irritation or infection. 

uuhhh, shit, really? but wouldnt that like, hurt, or otherwise make its presence known? hard to believe i've had a UTI for like 30 years, but i guess thats pretty badass

3 hours ago, R'hllors Red Lobster said:

uuhhh, shit, really? but wouldnt that like, hurt, or otherwise make its presence known? hard to believe i've had a UTI for like 30 years, but i guess thats pretty badass

Don't pat yourself on the back too soon. :P   If you've had it for 30 years, it's pretty safe to say that ain't it.   It was just a thought that occurred to me because that's exactly the feeling I have when **I** have a UTI.  My husband had one once and didn't feel anything - his urine just tested positive. Weird. 

This guy who I met like twice and am somehow friends with on Facebook is endlessly entertaining. He's so hot and such a mess of narcissism and bravado and insecurities, and such a beautiful illustration of the fact that being, as Zoolander would put it, really ridiculously good looking doesn't necessarily lead to happiness.

On 6/4/2016 at 0:50 AM, Triskan said:

I'm still tempted to start a thread on the breathtaking, unprecedented human challenge of elevator etiquette.  It shouldn't be so difficult, and yet...

I do think that in my endless searching, however, I have found a clue....

It relates to the oft-repeated scientific finding that there are five major personality traits.  Traits 2-5 are irrelevant for this discussion.  The trait in question is "conscientiousness."  I have it in abundance, as do you, gentle reader and dear friend.  But some of our fellows do not.  That is why, after decades of encountering elevators, they attempt to board the moment the door slides ajar. 

What shall we do with them?  Do not mistake conscientious with merciful. 

This is why when I reach my desired floor and the door opens, I like to exit with a flying Liu Kang dropkick.  Just in case.   

So yesterday I was driving my sports car that I bought two weeks ago down the freeway. I was playing with some of the buttons on the wheel when I noticed that there was a cinder block laying in the middle of the road. I, understandably, screamed like a small child, but was thankfully able to dodge it just in time. When I looked back to make sure I wasn't day dreaming I saw the car behind me not being so lucky and nailing the sucker. The front of the car bounced up at least two feet. Bad deal for that sedan.

Also, I just realized I left the beer I just bought in the trunk of said car. It's 94 degrees outside here in Minneapolis. 

5 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

is this the appropriate thread to share all my extensive teletubby fan theories or....

its the appropirate thread to share a few of your favourite ones.  dunno about all of them.

Tywin, you where lucky.  I do hope the people in that car where allright

Tubby custard is made out of the rabbits that inhabit the apparent idyllic meadows and rolling hills where the tubbies live. and we dont talk about the toast face, not yet anyway….teletubbies live in an underground bunker on another world, theyre kept in a dome, an experiment, of what..im not sure…but i intend to find out….all i know is the overseers of the dome transmit hallucinogenic images to the tubbies to test their psychological strength, they were supposed to be soldiers and now their bumbling fools, driven mad by the continuous experiments and hallucinations of twisted animal parades, lions and large ships and oceans flooding their world. the tubbies think they can communicate with children via the television like devices installed into their flesh but who knows if the children can really see them? how could they? maybe it’s just a futile call for help from the tubbies, who view children as the only innocent and pure humans they can trust…that’s why the only pleasant thing in their lives, the warmth of the sun, carries with it the image of a smiling child…it is the tubbies way of clinging on to happiness…clinging on to hope…even as their poor minds are ravaged and they gorge themselves on the crunched up remains of the rabbits in order to sustain themselves…

17 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

So yesterday I was driving my sports car that I bought two weeks ago down the freeway. I was playing with some of the buttons on the wheel when I noticed that there was a cinder block laying in the middle of the road. I, understandably, screamed like a small child, but was thankfully able to dodge it just in time. When I looked back to make sure I wasn't day dreaming I saw the car behind me not being so lucky and nailing the sucker. The front of the car bounced up at least two feet. Bad deal for that sedan.

Also, I just realized I left the beer I just bought in the trunk of said car. It's 94 degrees outside here in Minneapolis. 

Your cinder block story is freaking scary!!!!  Holy Shit.  I once ran over a ladder laying across the lane on a dark freeway once.  Scared the hell out of me!  As said above, I hope the folks in the other car came out OK. 

How your beer?  Did it make it out the trunk alive?

I'm still tempted to start a thread on the breathtaking, unprecedented human challenge of elevator etiquette.  It shouldn't be so difficult, and yet...

I do think that in my endless searching, however, I have found a clue....

It relates to the oft-repeated scientific finding that there are five major personality traits.  Traits 2-5 are irrelevant for this discussion.  The trait in question is "conscientiousness."  I have it in abundance, as do you, gentle reader and dear friend.  But some of our fellows do not.  That is why, after decades of encountering elevators, they attempt to board the moment the door slides ajar. 

What shall we do with them?  Do not mistake conscientious with merciful. 

They should be forced to film one of those sitcom episodes where the people get stuck in an elevator the entire episode.

On 6/11/2016 at 9:03 AM, LongRider said:

Your cinder block story is freaking scary!!!!  Holy Shit.  I once ran over a ladder laying across the lane on a dark freeway once.  Scared the hell out of me!  As said above, I hope the folks in the other car came out OK. 

How your beer?  Did it make it out the trunk alive?

My story was a big block of salt that had fallen off a farmer's truck.  I had my kids in the car, had about 2 seconds to react to a big white "block" of something in my lane.  It was either dive into the ditch or oncoming traffic, or pray that it was one of those styrofoam coolers.  I said the prayer.  It was not a styrofoam cooler.  Ripped the transmission pan off the bottom of my car, which luckily ended up being a cheap fix.  

I just learned that the term "Netflix and chill" actually means having sex.  It never dawned on me it meant anything other than exactly what it sounds like - watching stuff from Netflix and chilling out, being lazy.  But nope, it's sex.  I've used it a couple of times here and there and no one said anything, though I guess people assumed it was in context or that I was being ironic. Now that I've said I'm going to Netflix and chill with my dog, my horrified friends have educated me.  Did anyone else not know what Netflix and chill means?  

I wonder how many phrases I'm getting wrong in my daily life.  

Archived