Dear Board : A thread for small things not worthy of a thread of their own.

26 minutes ago, Dionysian_Doubt said:

Does anyone else have the issue of wanting to be more active socially but then you just can't do it? Because seriously, I can't even interact with people online without getting panicky. It took me five months to even make an account on here without being terrified!

To paraphrase Frankie D. Roosevelt:  "There is nothing to fear but fear itself."   Take that fear as if it were a physical object, grasp it firmly and SHAKE IT.  Slap it silly, for silly it is.  It advances you in no way but, rather, holds you back.  

None of us here bite (with the possible exception of one or two I won't mention.)  :D 

1 hour ago, Tears of Lys said:

To paraphrase Frankie D. Roosevelt:  "There is nothing to fear but fear itself."   Take that fear as if it were a physical object, grasp it firmly and SHAKE IT.  Slap it silly, for silly it is.  It advances you in no way but, rather, holds you back.  

None of us here bite (with the possible exception of one or two I won't mention.)  :D 

Ah thank you! I'm just super nervous about joining new groups but I'm just sorta pushing on because ASoIaF is one of the most important pieces of media in my life so finding a community that shares a similar interest is really big to me.

I am terrified of saying the wrong thing (or being misinterpreted) in any interaction, online or in real life!  But I feel safe here so hopefully you will too!  I'm actually proud this week that I had a real life confrontation over someone dropping litter without losing my shit.  The problem is my particular brand of self doubting logic doesn't sit comfortably in our Jeremy Kyle / Jerry Springer style society.  Welcome!!

I just wanted you to know that not all skinheads are racists and nazis. Indeed, there were a lot of black skinheads in Britain during the 60's and the decades thereafter saw the formation of SHARP, an organization for Skinheads Against Racial Prejudice. Early skinhead culture was associated with reggae and soul, and was later wedded to the punk and hardcore movements (and their close musical relatives). These facts are fairly well known in Britain and parts of Scandinavia, especially in various counterculture contexts, but in the US and continental Europe, it's not.

https://cosmarxpolitan.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/black-skins.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/f7/f8/a0/f7f8a004140327899305c1997528ff75.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_hhsdlWTfPg0/S77SexwmstI/AAAAAAAAAWQ/CR7dXGSvMa4/s1600/ATgAAAB6j3SlDUvvyGNbtZRJu1PvnmaM5EmdPmkl9XoTp47ctzD62hgCw4XlsdTdwI4Vm-nnIOU5QVs-4Wqr2jiHdKPSAJtU9VA2OnouydP6hGScHQ_3XrTFq37ibA.jpg

SO's mother is dating a guy in his 50's who sounds like a frat boy. So far the dude has offered to kill SO's father seemingly unironically, lived in the house and walked around shirtless for like a week, stashed safes (or something, skype isn't exactly consistent with call quality) in their house, yelled at SO's cat for looking at some food, and broken a glass bottle of the cheap shitty beer he drinks in their garage and left it so that SO then stepped on a huge piece of said glass barefoot and probably should go in to get stitched up.

13 hours ago, Andrés Garcia said:

I just wanted you to know that not all skinheads are racists and nazis. Indeed, there were a lot of black skinheads in Britain during the 60's and the decades thereafter saw the formation of SHARP, an organization for Skinheads Against Racial Prejudice. Early skinhead culture was associated with reggae and soul, and was later wedded to the punk and hardcore movements (and their close musical relatives). These facts are fairly well known in Britain and parts of Scandinavia, especially in various counterculture contexts, but in the US and continental Europe, it's not.

https://cosmarxpolitan.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/black-skins.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/f7/f8/a0/f7f8a004140327899305c1997528ff75.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_hhsdlWTfPg0/S77SexwmstI/AAAAAAAAAWQ/CR7dXGSvMa4/s1600/ATgAAAB6j3SlDUvvyGNbtZRJu1PvnmaM5EmdPmkl9XoTp47ctzD62hgCw4XlsdTdwI4Vm-nnIOU5QVs-4Wqr2jiHdKPSAJtU9VA2OnouydP6hGScHQ_3XrTFq37ibA.jpg

Up the punks! Oi oi oi!

On Sunday, June 26, 2016 at 4:30 AM, Neddy's Girl said:

Small thing - ever tried brushing your teeth with your non dominant hand?  It's difficult.

Also feels like someone  else if you close your eyes.

On 26. 6. 2016 at 10:30 AM, Neddy's Girl said:

Small thing - ever tried brushing your teeth with your non dominant hand?  It's difficult.

I have tried, it is not working. I do not even feel like I am brushing my teeth doing it.

12 minutes ago, Gryka zwyczajna said:

I have tried, it is not working. I do not even feel like I am brushing my teeth doing it.

Trying this today - will report back when I've poked my eye out with my brush. 

On 6/26/2016 at 6:27 AM, Dionysian_Doubt said:

Does anyone else have the issue of wanting to be more active socially but then you just can't do it? Because seriously, I can't even interact with people online without getting panicky. It took me five months to even make an account on here without being terrified!

This is me all over. Whenever I get invited to something (absolutely anything - parties, drinks after work, lunch with a co-worker) I always have best of intentions of going then at the last minute I freak out and try to find an excuse not to. Definitely something I need to work on as it is holding me back professionally - I quite like not having a huge social life so outside of building those work relationships its not really an issue, but I do worry it will effect my kids as they grow up

14 hours ago, dbjm said:

This is me all over. Whenever I get invited to something (absolutely anything - parties, drinks after work, lunch with a co-worker) I always have best of intentions of going then at the last minute I freak out and try to find an excuse not to. Definitely something I need to work on as it is holding me back professionally - I quite like not having a huge social life so outside of building those work relationships its not really an issue, but I do worry it will effect my kids as they grow up

My problem is, I'm a hugely social person, I love love love being around people and going to parties but I'm terrified that everyone else will hate me and it sucks balls. 

Hornets are invading from somewhere.  They are either under the house or the attic.  Their goal is a hostile takeover of my bedroom.  THEY ARE HORRIBLE AND HUMONGOUS!  I am out of 40' wasp killer.  I will never sleep again.

On June 26, 2016 at 3:30 AM, Neddy's Girl said:

I do this so I can still type & navigate on my smartphone as I brush.  But I use an electric toothbrush, so less dexterity required. 

I had an interesting moment yesterday around images, expectations and reality.  A really expensive big motor boat was coming down the river toward us at a trendy riverside bar, and the boat was draped in glamorous women in bikinis and oversized sunglasses.  It looked like a scene from any cheesy movie portraying conspicuous consumption or aspirational coolness, and these people were obviously enjoying being seen and acting glamorous.  But as the boat got a bit closer, it was obvious that the women were quite definitely not the svelte supermodels of the movies (not hideous or morbidly obese, just not particularly toned or even pretty up close), and the pot-bellied men weren't too cool either.  It seemed like a combination of distance and preconceived expectations from media images was their best chance at glamour, and coming in close to shore to bask in admiration and envy ruined the illusion.  They should have learned from Icarus.  

Archived