Dear Board : A thread for small things not worthy of a thread of their own.

Could anyone help me out with the definition of "shared lunch" please?  (Context: Cotswold Methodist(?) christening)  That's all it says on the invitation, no instruction to supply anything, but my cousin is notorious for being a dope (case in point: I wore a bridesmaid dress 4 inches too short, that nearly crushed my ribs because she got them mixed up), so probably assumes we know what she's thinking.  I don't want to look like a dick either way, and she isn't one to reply to texts even if I ask directly.  I'm not sure if this is a common church thing as I am a heretic!

8 minutes ago, Neddy's Girl said:

Could anyone help me out with the definition of "shared lunch" please?  (Context: Cotswold Methodist(?) christening)  That's all it says on the invitation, no instruction to supply anything, but my cousin is notorious for being a dope (case in point: I wore a bridesmaid dress 4 inches too short, that nearly crushed my ribs because she got them mixed up), so probably assumes we know what she's thinking.  I don't want to look like a dick either way, and she isn't one to reply to texts even if I ask directly.  I'm not sure if this is a common church thing as I am a heretic!

I think that 'shared lunch' is the same as 'pot luck'?

but I'm not 100% sure.

Cheers,  I'm guessing it is.  I need something that will survive a couple of hours in the car and is veggie then (at least at this celebration I know there'll be something I can eat!)  I think I'll stow it under the baby's pushchair until I'm absolutely sure of the etiquette!

3 minutes ago, Neddy's Girl said:

Cheers,  I'm guessing it is.  I need something that will survive a couple of hours in the car and is veggie then (at least at this celebration I know there'll be something I can eat!)  I think I'll stow it under the baby's pushchair until I'm absolutely sure of the etiquette!

I would just bring tequila.  No one ever complains about extra tequila, so you'd be covered either way.

1 hour ago, Theda Baratheon said:

HOW DO U WRITE PERSONAL STATEMENTS *rips out hair* 

currently writing my personal statement for my MA application 

Good luck! Do you have any help from your university re: personal statements? Mine does though I didn't take their help. 

42 minutes ago, Raja said:

Good luck! Do you have any help from your university re: personal statements? Mine does though I didn't take their help. 

Umm, not so sure. I basically took a gap year after finishing my BA and have now been out for a year and am going to a different uni for my MA. 

38 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Umm, not so sure. I basically took a gap year after finishing my BA and have now been out for a year and am going to a different uni for my MA. 

We have a guy who looks through our personal statements/ cover letters/ etc - It might be worth it to email them and see, especially if you're not used to writing them. 

I'm too shy to have someone I know read my personal statement :lol:

Ehhhh ... what is a personal statement? I never had to write anything like that.

Our MA applications were pretty much: fill out this form with the personal data and let us see your BA grades, kthxbye.

14 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Ehhhh ... what is a personal statement? I never had to write anything like that.

Our MA applications were pretty much: fill out this form with the personal data and let us see your BA grades, kthxbye.

Yeah, the MAs I'm looking at don't require a personal statement. It's mostly why you're applying, what makes you a good candidate, why our program, etc. Though when applying to University for my undergraduate degree, I had a personal statement & also had to attend an interview.  

Recently, I found some websites that offer free online dos games.  I'm old and grew up playing games on my Commodore 64, so for me this stuff is a gold mine of nostalgia.  Over the past week, I've been playing a lot of The Bard's Tale.

10 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

HOW DO U WRITE PERSONAL STATEMENTS *rips out hair* 

currently writing my personal statement for my MA application 

I have an issue where I hit the quote button, realize I have nothing important to say, and then can't get rid of the quote even if I close my browser window and reopen it.

I also have a problem with my cell phone, where there's a dead spot across the screen so that I can't play the top line in words with friends. (at least not without trying to drag the letter I need to top line about 20 times.  I played through it when I was able to hit 'jazzed' on a triple letter Z triple word, but most of the time I just say fuck it.)

9 hours ago, Raja said:

Yeah, the MAs I'm looking at don't require a personal statement. It's mostly why you're applying, what makes you a good candidate, why our program, etc. Though when applying to University for my undergraduate degree, I had a personal statement & also had to attend an interview.  

So applying for a MA isn't too different from applying for an undergrad course? Not that that was easy, it was an awful experience writing my personal statement for that. I ended up focusing mostly on why I wanted to study this course than saying much about me 

My application for undergrad was a personal statement and the LNAT. For one of the units I didn't go to there was an interview stage too

What's a personal statement? Is it what it sounds like, some sort of silly "I foresee a bright and glorious future for myself in this professional field, armed with a degree from your illustrious university..." type thing? When I applied for an MA we had to submit our academic transcripts, CVs and contact details for three academic references, but that was it.

5 hours ago, mcbigski said:

I have an issue where I hit the quote button, realize I have nothing important to say, and then can't get rid of the quote even if I close my browser window and reopen it.

Click on the quote and then press CTRL + Delete. It should go away that way.

3 minutes ago, Arkhangel said:

What's a personal statement? Is it what it sounds like, some sort of silly "I foresee a bright and glorious future for myself in this professional field, armed with a degree from your illustrious university..." type thing? When I applied for an MA we had to submit our academic transcripts, CVs and contact details for three references, but that was it.

Still more than I had to. :P I was at the presentation of the PhD programs a few weeks ago, and even that one just demands a short CV, an idea for a dissertation, a copy of the diploma + grade transcripts, and the agreement from the overseer. I think personal interviews are a part of the application for a PhD, but not for BA or MA.

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

So applying for a MA isn't too different from applying for an undergrad course?

I think it depends on where you're applying and for what sort of course. Medicine for example, as an undergraduate degree, almost *always* has an interview. Courses such an Engineering, Finance etc seldom have interviews.

In my experience, applying to the UK/ Ireland for an MA is rather straight forward. It's transcripts/ CV/ Recommendation letters and not much more than that ( though I need to apply with an IELTS examination too - but that's because I'm not from a majority english speaking country - tis an absurd rule). US postgraduate courses require the GRE, which is a pain. I'm still uncertain if I want to take that exam. 

Personal statement is just a short statement on your interests in the course, a little bit about yourself  basically indicating why they should accept you on  the course I just hate writing these bloody things...got a first draft tho

14 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Click on the quote and then press CTRL + Delete. It should go away that way.

You can also CTRL+Right Click on the quote to remove it, or get a few other options like remove quote but keep contents.

I learned how to pick a lock with a paperclip today.  It was astonishingly easy.  Got it on my first try after about 8 seconds of twiddling.  

So far I've only used my new powers to remove a lock core from the Yakima roof rack on my camper shell so I can order a new set of keys.  But now I'm almost afraid to try my hand at actual deadbolt/security/padlock type locks for which the same techniques should apply.

Archived