Benjen [SPOILERS]

Uncle Benjen's

Hey there,

So I hate to be that guy predicting Benjen Stark's imminent return but alas, I am that guy today. I put it forward that if Benjen Stark EVER was going to return, now would be the time.

So Bran and Meera have left the cave and three eyed raven, from the end I am assuming Hodor has died along with Summer and literally everyone else beyond the wall. This leaves just Bran and Meera to make their journey south of the wall. Is that really possible? They struggled enough getting there with 4 of them including Hodor to carry Bran. Now Meera and Bran are just left to fend for themselves and I struggle seeing Meera be able to carry Bran all that way. Enter Benjen.

Maybe Benjen has been in league with BR and has simply been waiting it out beyond the wall and will now swoop in and help Bran get back safely. Or maybe they will do a version of Coldhands who is Benjen after being transformed by the COTF for this specific task.

In short, now is the perfect time to bring Benjen back and find out he's been missing for a purpose, plus I feel his appearances in the flashbacks have an unseen purpose, as do Ned's, Lyanna's and Hodor's,

Any takers?

Meera seems to be getting attacked in the preview. Outnumbered and having to defend Bran, who seems to be out of it still, she'll need help. Now would be a great time to have Benjen return. Besides, Bran's journey will be limited if it's just Meera dragging him around aimlessly while he has visions, suffers guilt and struggles with being attracted to duty bound Meera.

Well, we know that there is a fireball throwing guy in the trailers that kills a wight....many suspect (including myself), that this is indeed Benjens triumphant return *just in time* to save Bran and Meera.  

I'm almost convinced that this is Benjen, because quite frankly, who else could it be, and how else will Bran/Meera escape the North?  Meera can't drag Bran around on her own.  Benjen *has* to return.

My question though is...where has Benjen been hiding all this time?  He obviously must have a safe place somewhere.  Maybe a cave that leads to Greywater Watch?

Yeah I think it would definitely make sense. Especially at this point when they are killing off cast members left, right and centre it would seem implausible to introduce a completely new character. And in order for Bran and Meera to survive they must have someone help them.

15 minutes ago, SevasTra82 said:

Well, we know that there is a fireball throwing guy in the trailers that kills a wight....many suspect (including myself), that this is indeed Benjens triumphant return *just in time* to save Bran and Meera.  

I watched the preview but didn't see anyone throwing a fireball, is this in the standard preview? 

It would also make sense for Benjen to be in the know regarding what is happening beyond the wall, before his return to the wall from Winterfell Ned and Benjen have a discussion about the mutineer from the NW and what he described seeing that made him leave. Then on his next ranging Benjen goes missing, maybe he knew it was "time" and had to disappear beyond the wall until Bran needed him. I think if this is the case he must definitely be in league with BR and part of the plan. The only question is once Bran has returned south of the wall what purpose does Benjen serve then (assuming he survives) ? 

What are the odds that Benjen is show Coldhands? I wouldn't be surprised if the show went down that road (although I'm a fervent enemy of the CH = Benjen books theory).

I also think Benjen will make his great come back next episode. Chances are he was approached North of the Wall by BR and/or the children in prevision of what was to come and he now needs to help Bran. 

Sadly though, OP, you're not the first one to make this call, reddit has been all over this Benjen come back. 

55 minutes ago, Mayura said:

What are the odds that Benjen is show Coldhands? I wouldn't be surprised if the show went down that road (although I'm a fervent enemy of the CH = Benjen books theory).

Sadly though, OP, you're not the first one to make this call, reddit has been all over this Benjen come back. 

Yeah I could very much see that, maybe he has become Coldhands in the same vein that we saw the COTF create the WW in the flashback. Although I don't know what would be to gain from that but it would be interesting and certainly a plausible way to make Benjen the show's Coldhands. Also it would've eliminated the possibility of the actor being unavailable as they would be using prosthetic.

Also I think it would be good development's for Brans character - after so many people dying for him (the Miller's boys, Jojen, Leaf, BR, Summer and Hodor) to then have a reveal that Benjen has pretty much sacrificed himself to live life as an immortal being who can never return home just to get Bran south of the wall - after all the plan was always for Bran to go back in the show.

And yes after watching I posted this here then went to the reddit and IMDB boards and found out I was way behind others :P 

1 hour ago, Uncle Benjen's said:

Yeah I think it would definitely make sense. Especially at this point when they are killing off cast members left, right and centre it would seem implausible to introduce a completely new character. And in order for Bran and Meera to survive they must have someone help them.

I watched the preview but didn't see anyone throwing a fireball, is this in the standard preview? 

It would also make sense for Benjen to be in the know regarding what is happening beyond the wall, before his return to the wall from Winterfell Ned and Benjen have a discussion about the mutineer from the NW and what he described seeing that made him leave. Then on his next ranging Benjen goes missing, maybe he knew it was "time" and had to disappear beyond the wall until Bran needed him. I think if this is the case he must definitely be in league with BR and part of the plan. The only question is once Bran has returned south of the wall what purpose does Benjen serve then (assuming he survives) ? 

It's not in the episode preview...it's in the Season 6 trailer that was released prior to the start of the season.

3 hours ago, Uncle Benjen's said:

This leaves just Bran and Meera to make their journey south of the wall. Is that really possible? They struggled enough getting there with 4 of them including Hodor to carry Bran. Now Meera and Bran are just left to fend for themselves and I struggle seeing Meera be able to carry Bran all that way. Enter Benjen.

Do people not realise that if Bran goes beyond the wall (southwards) than the Night's King will be able to break the magic barrier of the wall and destroy it completely? (the same way he broke the magic barrier of the cave)... I predicted the WALL would fall by the end of this season if not the start of the next one, but I didn't think it would be because of Bran coming through it touched by the Night's King (did they mean for him to escape?).

Unless in the next episode someone (be it Benjin/Coldhands/Both/Anyone) cuts off Bran's infected arm immediately after he/she saves them than maybe they have a chance.

It's not a "fireball" per say, but a flaming weapon of some type...flail, morningstar what have you. He's running down wights on horseback.Odds are pretty great that it's Benjen...obviously from the episode trailer, Meera is apologizing...the wights ARE coming down on them. Someones going to be deus ex machina, I can't see a whole new character being introduced. GRRM has said Benjen is NOT coldhands...it's probably just Benjen who's been hiding away somewhere.

There's also a promo pic of Bran slumped over on a horse in winter garb.

http://watchersonthewall.com/first-look-at-bran-in-game-of-thrones-season-6/

It's most likely not a vision, since he walks in those. So if he gets rescued by someone that has a horse...

1 hour ago, The King Beyond The Wall said:

Do people not realise that if Bran goes beyond the wall (southwards) than the Night's King will be able to break the magic barrier of the wall and destroy it completely? (the same way he broke the magic barrier of the cave)... I predicted the WALL would fall by the end of this season if not the start of the next one, but I didn't think it would be because of Bran coming through it touched by the Night's King (did they mean for him to escape?).

This seems likely.. it also seems like NK will know this and shepherd Bran and Meera south of the Wall intentionally.

I'm convinced Benjen's arrival as the fireball swinger is not some lucky occurrence but is as predestined as Hodor. Benjen was in the Winterfell courtyard while Wylis suddenly starts convulsing and yelling about holding the door. If Wylis' purpose from that moment on was to get to Bloodraven's cave to hold the door, it's not a big leap to imagine Benjen's purpose from that moment on was to get himself outside the cave after the door is held to flit Bran to safety. We just don't have the mechanism for Benjen to learn his purpose yet, but Bran was able to talk to Ned without mentally scarring him, seems like he'll exert some influence on young Benjen soon too.

As for what Benjen's been doing in the meantime.. he's First Ranger. I bet he's been ranging. Probably to the NK castle to figure out where and how the WW live and operate.

2 hours ago, The King Beyond The Wall said:

Unless in the next episode someone (be it Benjin/Coldhands/Both/Anyone) cuts off Bran's infected arm immediately after he/she saves them than maybe they have a chance.

I like that idea but it depends on BR and the COTF not knowing that this would be possible or being in league with the WW in the present day otherwise they would've told Bran not to go south now. Although it also seems plausible that the show writers would brush over this. I agree the Wall will fall by the end of the season, or at least be penetrated by the WW, maybe Bran's presence (and his mark) at the wall allows them to override the magic at the wall and be able to cross. 

Or maybe they lack navigation skills (would explain why they have taken so long) and couldn't find the wall, but now Bran is showing them to it. I like the idea of someone cutting of Bran's arm. Upon watching the trailer I initially thought Meera was considering taking Bran's life or something and that's why she was apologizing - so maybe she is actually apologizing for cutting off Bran's arm if she believes that is why the wights are following them.

Either way Benjen needs to return - but I think it would be a bit of a punch in the face if we also get the return of the Hound this season as we already have Rickon and Osha turn up unexpectedly, with rumours of Stoneheart in the Riverlands and possible return of Nymeria in her pack (would be awesome tbf). I think the continual reintroduction of these long-term vanished characters returning for menial roles would ruin the story telling rather than enhance it. 

Who knows, we might actually see Gendry reach Kings Landing.

4 hours ago, Uncle Benjen's said:

I like that idea but it depends on BR and the COTF not knowing that this would be possible or being in league with the WW in the present day otherwise they would've told Bran not to go south now. Although it also seems plausible that the show writers would brush over this. I agree the Wall will fall by the end of the season, or at least be penetrated by the WW, maybe Bran's presence (and his mark) at the wall allows them to override the magic at the wall and be able to cross. 

Or maybe they lack navigation skills (would explain why they have taken so long) and couldn't find the wall, but now Bran is showing them to it. I like the idea of someone cutting of Bran's arm. Upon watching the trailer I initially thought Meera was considering taking Bran's life or something and that's why she was apologizing - so maybe she is actually apologizing for cutting off Bran's arm if she believes that is why the wights are following them.

Either way Benjen needs to return - but I think it would be a bit of a punch in the face if we also get the return of the Hound this season as we already have Rickon and Osha turn up unexpectedly, with rumours of Stoneheart in the Riverlands and possible return of Nymeria in her pack (would be awesome tbf). I think the continual reintroduction of these long-term vanished characters returning for menial roles would ruin the story telling rather than enhance it. 

Who knows, we might actually see Gendry reach Kings Landing.

I have a slight feeling that Gendry is at White Harbor. Would kind of make sense. And someone's going there soon. They've killed off too many characters not to reintroduce more though imo. 

Archived