US Election: Saint Bernard the obstinant

Kalbear

The Democratic Party it appears is not prepared to bend that far for Sanders:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/a9a368ce98164309aa0a3f4cd74ad6c8/sanders-fails-oust-clinton-backers-convention-roles

Democratic officials have rejected Bernie Sanders' request to remove two high-profile Hillary Clinton supporters from leadership positions at the party's summer convention.

Sanders' presidential campaign said in a letter Friday to the Democratic National Committee that Dannel Malloy, Connecticut's governor, and Barney Frank, a former Massachusetts congressman, couldn't be relied upon to perform their roles "fairly and capably while laboring under such deeply held bias."

Malloy is Platform Committee co-chairman. Frank is co-chairman of the Rules Committee.

Democratic officials responded to Sanders' request on Saturday, saying in a letter that Malloy and Frank were elected under party rules and that Sanders wasn't alleging any violations of that process.

The DNC says it reviewed the challenge, found it failed to meet the criteria and "we are compelled to dismiss it."

On 5/24/2016 at 7:33 PM, DanteGabriel said:

Not hard to see that Maester Drew wants to avert the catastrophe of a Trumpian Presidency but maintain his hard-won moral purity by not having to cast a vote for the evil Hillary Clinton.

Expecting others to do what's necessary while keeping your own hands and conscience 'clean'. Sounds like the thinking of an entitled child to me.

On 5/24/2016 at 7:44 PM, Kalbear said:

I guess I don't see it as bullying, but sorry you do, and I'm sorry you feel bullied. 

I see it as being personally responsible for voting sanely. To me, writing in Sanders in the general is as sane an act as voting for Vermin Love Supreme. It has little to do with voting your conscience, particularly given that the person who you'd be voting for specifically stated that wasn't what they wanted. 

On 5/25/2016 at 9:07 PM, Maester Drew said:

Finally, my voting for Hillary would still be self-defeating, given where I live. So even if right now, I was suddenly inspired to vote for Hillary and do so in November, it wouldn't change the fact my state will go to Trump.

So, according to you:

• Writing in Bernie: self defeating
  • Voting for Stein: self defeating
  • Voting for Johnson: self defeating
  • Voting for Hillary: not self defeating?

We all looked at the demographics and polls of my state two threads back, if I'm supposed to vote for someone in which it wouldn't be self defeating, then it'd have to be for Trump. And that is something I ain't willing to do.

This is fucking insane! And it's why we have abysmal voter turnout in this country. Your vote is the only actual measure of control you have over your government and you would rather throw it away (or not use it at all) than compromise your precious morals to prevent active regression. Here's a news flash, your messiah Bernie Sanders is not perfect. You've latched onto him for what could be a myriad of reasons (if I had to guess, because he's the king of facebook), but he's as flawed as any other man or woman on earth and certainly as petty and vindictive as many. No perfect candidate is coming, but if you want to stick your clean conscience in the sand until the next cute fad comes along and call it a revolution, that's your prerogative. But spare us your tales of moral virtue while we do our best to drag our society out of the stagnant abyss one flawed and incomplete candidate at a time.

It's easy to be lazy or absolve yourself of responsibility and call it a moral stand, compromising and pushing forward takes actual effort.

On 5/25/2016 at 11:35 PM, DanteGabriel said:

Jesus Christ, this isn't about convincing you that Texas will go Democrat or needing to explain to me how the fucking Electoral College works. I actually voted in 2000, I know there's a difference between the Electoral College and the popular vote.

This is about the fucking definition of "self-defeating." You described a vote for Clinton as "self-defeating" which does not fit the definition of the fucking term, because voting for Clinton does not make a Trump victory more likely. I've tried to explain this multiple times. Kalbear explained it to you. Either you understand what "self-defeating" means or you don't. Either way, I'm done.

Hear, hear! Get 'em, tiger.

On 5/25/2016 at 3:43 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

You know I've never read Mein Kampf before but I found a copy on the free table in the library last night so I picked it up.  It is scary to see how close Hitler is to Trump's blowhardedness.

This comparison remains absurd. Donald Trump is not Hitler 2.0, he lacks a lot of the pure evil attributes.

He's more like Mussolini, a fucking cartoon caricature of the worst kind of humanity.

On 5/26/2016 at 0:35 PM, Kalbear said:

I was just going to post how this would have been a brilliant bit of political judo worthy of Obama. Nothing but upside for him, nothing but downside for his opponents. Wonder why he chickened out?

Because he doesn't have a strategic thought in his fucking head is why. Much like when I heard he had said 'we don't have to worry about the debt' and had yet to hear the full story I thought for a moment he was actually revealing some kind of actual intelligence, but thankfully the universe always restores balance.

On 5/26/2016 at 5:08 PM, Kalbear said:

Palin is an excellent improvisational speaker. Similar to Trump, actually, though her ideas tend to have less rational coherence. 

Obama is an excellent speaker, period. His tone and inflection is almost perfectly suited to convey emotional and intellectual importance, he uses the preacher's tricks of rising in the middle and lowering at the end so that you follow his sentences with greater attention (this is also a favored trick of Frank Underwood in House of Cards). He has very few vocal ticks or oddities. He has almost flawless enunciation. And he manages to speak with clear conviction. Obama is going to be studied as one of the best political speakers that we have recordings of. 

Gawd, I think I actually like you when you're not confused about Luck>Wilson. :P

On 5/27/2016 at 10:06 AM, TrackerNeil said:

I knew it! I knew that bottom-feeding, over-polished, ambition-drenched opportunistic little scumbag was going to come around. I didn't think Little Marco could be more pathetic after losing his home state, but apparently there is at least one way in which Rubio never disappoints: he can always be more pathetic than you think.

I'm admittedly a little bit surprised. Marco was the one wooden puppet toy on the Republican debate stage who I thought reacted appropriately to Trumps antics, basically by throwing his normally sized hands in the air in disbelief at the childish antics. But I guess being a shitty person at heart won in the end.

On 5/27/2016 at 11:00 AM, Tywin et al. said:

The most striking aspect about Trump's lying is that many of his supporters recognize that he's full of it and yet they don't really seem to care about it.

They only care that he 'tells the truth/tells it like it is' when he's being a racist or misogynist.

22 hours ago, lokisnow said:

It's what we get letting non-democrats run for our party's nomination. 

I've never really strongly called myself a Democrat, mostly out of vanity and wanting to appear neutral/conciliatory, but this cycle has kind of stripped me of that silly notion. Sanders is playing in the Democratic sandbox, he's lost the popular vote by a substantial margin, and he knew the rules before playing. I have no sympathy for him or his 'disenfranchised' supporters.

19 hours ago, Triskan said:

Obama's appearance at Hiroshima was pitch-perfect.  I doubt many Presidents could pull such a thing off.  I am intensely proud of this man as President of the United States, and I expect that I may never see his equal again, and I implore all decent Americans to oppose the possibility of a Trump White House with all their being. 

Whether you are for Clinton, Sanders, Johnson, anyone else....Trump cannot be allowed to be our President.  Please look inside yourself.   Consider the enormity in human history of Hiroshima and President Obama's visit today, consider how fragile our world is, and say no to Trump.

Please. 

Hear, hear!

Archived