why no lesser POV charaters?

golden_eyes

2 hours ago, norwaywolf123 said:

and a common woman pov, some peasant

But what would this peasant, no matter if a common woman or a common man do for the storyline? With what we have right now, all I can see it being more of "Isn't war horrible!? The armies took all the food and killed everyone! Yesterday I buried my oldest daughter in a shallow grave! I haven't seen my husband and my oldest son since those robbers took them away! Today I have seen a host with [insert long list of house colours] passing by, I wonder where they are going?"

Not exactly riveting and we get enough of that in Jaime's and Brienne's POVs.

18 hours ago, Bright Blue Eyes said:

Tolkien? Please name one outside of Sam. Who is an important noble's dogrobber anyway. Yes, three ut of four hobbits were members of the highest nobility the hobbits got to offer. The other members of the fellowship are all princes, kings and dukes as well. Apart from the angelic one.</snip>

And Sam becomes Mayor, after having learnt his letters from Bilbo and distinguished himself as an exceptionally brave and resourceful valet for Frodo.

It isn't like Tolkien lacks characters to offer his version of a working class perspective - Bill Ferny and Ted Sandyman, for example. The goblins in the Hobbit are clearly based on Manchester's clay kickers - men who went into the mines as teenagers (or at least, when their age reached double digits) and were subsequently recruited by some Lord to provide Manchester with sewers, who then drafted them wholesale into the Royal Engineering corps to dig tunnels through no-mans-land on the Western Front in World War One.

The orcs in general appear to be working class. In England, class hatred was a virtue that made the country what it was, until the end of World War 2, when Churchill was kicked out of the premiership so that Atlee could usher in the Welfare State (as best he could with no money and a war-destroyed country). Even now, class still limits what people can do and be in Britain, but before WWI it was positively macabre. Tolkien might have been an impoverished orphan in Birmingham, but he was the orphan of a well-to-do middle-class banker. Hence he went to the Western Front as a signals officer, not a tunnel rat.

• 3 weeks later...

It's to reflect real history. Most history books cover Kings, wars, nobility and their events. GRRM takes much inspiration from actual history and wants he story to be similar. There aren't many true smallfolk whose names make it into the history books. Even Watt Tyler who led the Peasnt's Revolt wasn't really a peasant, he was a craftsman ad even with him we don't know a great deal about him. There's probably records somewhere out there for what Henry VIII had for breakfast on June 11th 1509 but get the birthday for what few smallfolk that are mentioned is tricky.

I can't really see a peasant POV being that exciting.

THE AVERAGE JOE:

"Ah! My taxes are due to the king next week."
"Stephen! Robert is dead!"

"WOO! NO TAXES! Oh seven, Vargo Hoat just burnt my crops."

THE MUNDANE PEASANT:
"The Mountain just took my wife! Oh seven, now I'm dead."

Archived