The Kingsmoot

thegreenmanalishi83

I was looking forward to this so much but it was massively disappointing. Euron has a charismatic,dark, almost magical presence in the books but he came off as little more than thuggish in the show. The way in which he won them over was beyond lame as well.

I know the Iron islands are not exactly the most populated of the 7 Kingdoms but that was a pretty poor turnout for the crowning of a king. There was more at the acting troupe.

And we all know they will somehow build 1000 ships in what? 4 episodes? Come on........

9 minutes ago, thegreenmanalishi83 said:

I was looking forward to this so much but it was massively disappointing. Euron has a charismatic,dark, almost magical presence in the books but he came off as little more than thuggish in the show. The way in which he won them over was beyond lame as well.

I know the Iron islands are not exactly the most populated of the 7 Kingdoms but that was a pretty poor turnout for the crowning of a king. There was more at the acting troupe.

And we all know they will somehow build 1000 ships in what? 4 episodes? Come on........

I don't know why they didn't do the chests thing, it would have made a good visual. I liked Yara and Theon's speeches (I've never really got the Yara hate- I don't think she's quite as good as Asha, but I'd say that about a lot of show versions). Euron's was a bit meh, and after all the bawdy humour of the show, the cock jokes felt a bit overdone. Don't get me wrong, I like crude humour, but only in measures. His character took a bit of a backslide after a more badass entrance- I hope that was just to win them over, and we see more crazy, mysterious Euron now. I'm not sure about him just admitting to killing Balon, but Balon is my most hated character, so fuck it, I agree with the capains.

I quite like where it is going with Theon and Yara sailing off, though.

That's the thing- I thought their speeches were great(how many stirring speeches is that for Theon now? Ha ha) then Euron came up with a really half hearted effort,with some terrible cock jokes and wins.

I don't mind the bawdy humour but not from certain characters, it just didn't fit in with my idea of Euron but hey that's the way it goes I guess.I felt it kind of cheapens him in a way.

11 minutes ago, thegreenmanalishi83 said:

That's the thing- I thought their speeches were great(how many stirring speeches is that for Theon now? Ha ha) then Euron came up with a really half hearted effort,with some terrible cock jokes and wins.

I don't mind the bawdy humour but not from certain characters, it just didn't fit in with my idea of Euron but hey that's the way it goes I guess.I felt it kind of cheapens him in a way.

You'd think after the epic fail of his genuinely awesome speech to his men at Winterfell, he'd have given up on them. Maybe he doesn't remember after the whack to the head, and all the torture.

I didn't think it was unrealistic for Euron to win against a woman and a eunuch, he did lay out his plan, but yeah, I wouldn't have minded if he made the dickless joke, then suddenly transitioned into classic Euron "and all men will see me as a God" or something, he's supposed to be one of the craziest characters. "Euron was maddest of all", show us the madness!

Edit- just to add, I found his accent a bit distracting as well.

Yeah, sadly the Iron Islands are being treate dlike shit, which is a waste of really good charatcters.

This by one who loves the show, ecept Dorne and, recently, Pyke.

Euron is a real waste of a fascinating character. Where is the horn gone, which burns a man's inside?  that needed no digital effects!!!

21 minutes ago, mankytoes said:

You'd think after the epic fail of his genuinely awesome speech to his men at Winterfell, he'd have given up on them. Maybe he doesn't remember after the whack to the head, and all the torture.

I didn't think it was unrealistic for Euron to win against a woman and a eunuch, he did lay out his plan, but yeah, I wouldn't have minded if he made the dickless joke, then suddenly transitioned into classic Euron "and all men will see me as a God" or something, he's supposed to be one of the craziest characters. "Euron was maddest of all", show us the madness!

Edit- just to add, I found his accent a bit distracting as well.

Ha! Exactly!

I just thought Theons and Yara's speeches were much better I guess. Totally agree on your last point-that's the Euron I wanted to see! They got it so right with Oberyn, I hoped they could nail Euron too.

16 minutes ago, grufolo said:

Yeah, sadly the Iron Islands are being treate dlike shit, which is a waste of really good charatcters.

This by one who loves the show, ecept Dorne and, recently, Pyke.

Euron is a real waste of a fascinating character. Where is the horn gone, which burns a man's inside?  that needed no digital effects!!!

I couldn't agree more. The horn bit was epic.

I quite enjoyed Eurons final command to build him a fleet.. using what those massive woodlands the Iron Islands are known for>?

The fact he was stupid enough to not secure the fleet before his crowning as well was quite funny.  No doubt next week he will have a new

fleet from somewhere..

2 minutes ago, polythenehigh said:

I quite enjoyed Eurons final command to build him a fleet.. using what those massive woodlands the Iron Islands are known for>?

The fact he was stupid enough to not secure the fleet before his crowning as well was quite funny.  No doubt next week he will have a new

fleet from somewhere..

Yeah I was really disappointed by the whole sequence. The parallel between Yara and Theon running before Euron turned on them was good, but then was when I thought they were stealing a ship, maybe 2, but all of them? What? Then Euron goes "no biggy, we'll just build an even bigger one in a week.". I mean hell, there is even a big deal (not in the show mind you) that Bravos can build one in a single day.

Also, why didn't Euron just push Theon and Asha off the cliff right at the kingsmoot? It's already been established that nobody cares about anything. The whole Ironborn have just been reduced to Iron Price = Kill everyone.

Sadly I think the Iron Islands took a turn for the Dorne (worst) last night. I was never a big fan of the Kingsmoot chapters, but I have been enjoying the storyline on the show a lot and was excited to see the whole thing play out inside the massive hollow of a whale's skeleton. The Iron Islands have been a highlight for me in this rocky season, so I had great expectations about how cool the Kingsmoot set would be and how badass Euron's speech would be.

Instead we get about 30 Ironborn standing on a cliff.

No Dragon's Horn either. :angry: I know they can't include everything and this is an adaptation, so I'll let that one slide. 

But the worst part had to be Euron. He is so terribly miss-cast that his entire speech was laughable. The only thing he could inspire fear in is a donut. 

2 minutes ago, farm_ecology said:

Yeah I was really disappointed by the whole sequence. The parallel between Yara and Theon running before Euron turned on them was good, but then was when I thought they were stealing a ship, maybe 2, but all of them? What? Then Euron goes "no biggy, we'll just build an even bigger one in a week.". I mean hell, there is even a big deal (not in the show mind you) that Bravos can build one in a single day.

Also, why didn't Euron just push Theon and Asha off the cliff right at the kingsmoot? It's already been established that nobody cares about anything. The whole Ironborn have just been reduced to Iron Price = Kill everyone.

Yeah slaying your Kin seems to be as normal as changing your pants in this version of Westero's.  Why did he even let them leave the Kingsmoot alive? I thought they would take a few ships but they say they took the best part of the fleet no doubt because she is so respected and Euron is not.

16 minutes ago, thegreenmanalishi83 said:

I couldn't agree more. The horn bit was epic.

Might have seemed like overkill to about a dozen people standing on a rock. I get that the Kingsmoot as it was in the book would be a nightmare to film, but it was just such an underwhelming start to a truly epic storyline. Euron's speech was the disappointing part, in the books he was so elaborate and larger than life, in the show he's just a douchebag heckler. I am glad that someone admitted Balon sucked as king though, Robert's Rebellion was a mess and he wasn't that effective after his surprise attack on the North, plus they're dealing with his succession crisis.

1 minute ago, Daenerys_Is_Coming said:

But the worst part had to be Euron. He is so terribly miss-cast that his entire speech was laughable. The only thing he could inspire fear in is a donut.

Sadly, I think you are spot on. Whoever came up with the idea that Mads Mikkelson should be cast hasn't helped either. It plays on my mind how good he would have been.

Yara and Theon were great in the Kingsmoot and I loved the speeches they gave. I agree about Euron's actor, though. I actually enjoyed his scene killing Balon and was excited for this moment, but he didn't have very much charisma. He didn't strike me as a strong leader. I didn't mind them leaving out the horn. I thought it made the ironborn in the books seem to easy to sway. All Euron did was present a horn he claimed had magical powers, and promised he would use it to conquer the world, and the ironborn ate it all up. It struck me as a little ridiculous, so I didn't mind them changing it to Euron using the fleet to marry Dany instead.

5 minutes ago, Dragon in the North said:

Yara and Theon were great in the Kingsmoot and I loved the speeches they gave. I agree about Euron's actor, though. I actually enjoyed his scene killing Balon and was excited for this moment, but he didn't have very much charisma. He didn't strike me as a strong leader. I didn't mind them leaving out the horn. I thought it made the ironborn in the books seem to easy to sway. All Euron did was present a horn he claimed had magical powers, and promised he would use it to conquer the world, and the ironborn ate it all up. It struck me as a little ridiculous, so I didn't mind them changing it to Euron using the fleet to marry Dany instead.

Yet the show version is to say "I'll build an even bigger fleet that the other person, plus I'll marry someone on the other side of the world!"

1 hour ago, polythenehigh said:

Yeah slaying your Kin seems to be as normal as changing your pants in this version of Westero's.  Why did he even let them leave the Kingsmoot alive? I thought they would take a few ships but they say they took the best part of the fleet no doubt because she is so respected and Euron is not.

I think this is a really good point. Yara could take most of the Iron Fleet because she was well-respected among the Ironborn, but ironically, those same people didn't back her at the kingsmoot. (Sure, maybe the ravers and low officials back her and plot with her, and the captains, which elected Euron, don't. But all those politics were not explain in the show, heck, they didn't even explain why do they have to had a kingsmoot in the first place). 

I was really excited when Theon was giving his speech because I knew Euron will came up a dazzle everyone. But he was really bland. He only said: "she is a woman, he is an eunoch. Pick me". Which, its right and enough, but I believe the Ironborn captains would need something more. (Very dissapointed he didn't use the horn).

5 minutes ago, WolfgangII said:

I think this is a really good point. Yara could take most of the Iron Fleet because she was well-respected among the Ironborn, but ironically, those same people didn't back her at the kingsmoot. (Sure, maybe the ravers and low officials back her and plot with her, and the captains, which elected Euron, don't. But all those politics were not explain in the show, heck, they didn't even explain why do they have to had a kingsmoot in the first place). 

I was really excited when Theon was giving his speech because I knew Euron will came up a dazzle everyone. But he was really bland. He only said: "she is a woman, he is an eunoch. Pick me". Which, its right and enough, but I believe the Ironborn captains would need something more. (Very dissapointed he didn't use the horn).

Just didnt sit right with me.  Able to demand the obedience of the Iron fleet on command but not able to win a kingsmoot... The Iron Born captains all looked like normal harried men, I wanted to see utter beasts. Men who pull back their fore skins to take a piss in the morning using an axe but they just seemed easily swayed wimps.

Archived